Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:29
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sep 4, 2007

Opened Word 2000 yesterday and found the blank document had the wrong margins and font, then discovered that none of my symbol shortcut keys were working. Opened "normal.dot" and found that it had reverted to the basic one from which you start when you first install Word. Couldn't find my modified one anywhere on the computer, so had to spend about an hour and a half setting it up again as I wanted it. Have opened and closed Word a few times since then, and everything now seems normal again. ... See more
Opened Word 2000 yesterday and found the blank document had the wrong margins and font, then discovered that none of my symbol shortcut keys were working. Opened "normal.dot" and found that it had reverted to the basic one from which you start when you first install Word. Couldn't find my modified one anywhere on the computer, so had to spend about an hour and a half setting it up again as I wanted it. Have opened and closed Word a few times since then, and everything now seems normal again. Can anyone explain why this happened?Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 20:29
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
maybe a background update from Redmond? Sep 4, 2007

you know, "dont turn off the PC, there's an update running, well do it for you" message?

At least, you're back to normal;)

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:29
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Hi Jack Sep 4, 2007

I have no idea why this happened. I am sometimes asked for obscure reasons whether I want to save the changes in normal.dot, even if I didn't do any changes at all. So in these cases I always say NO, just to feel myself on the safe side.

BTW, if you have Windows XP, you could have made a system restore which puts your system back to whenever you like, without losing anything. Very useful indeed!

Another advice: from time to time, backup your normal.dot! It might turn o
... See more
I have no idea why this happened. I am sometimes asked for obscure reasons whether I want to save the changes in normal.dot, even if I didn't do any changes at all. So in these cases I always say NO, just to feel myself on the safe side.

BTW, if you have Windows XP, you could have made a system restore which puts your system back to whenever you like, without losing anything. Very useful indeed!

Another advice: from time to time, backup your normal.dot! It might turn out useful also if you have to reinstall Word or format your HD, which unfortunately happens sooner or later:-(
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:29
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks, Christine Sep 4, 2007

The first thing I tried was System Restore, but whatever restore point I selected, and even when I created one myself, it kept telling me it could not restore from that point and asking me to try another one, so I gave up on it in the end. System restore has worked well for me in the past, but it tends to act like this nowadays.
Yes, I think I'll back up the normal.dot on a floppy disc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2000 "normal.dot" reverts to default

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »