Thread poster: Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:54
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Sep 5, 2007

now we can open odt (opendocument text) files on word 2003. just install the plug-in from sun here: http://www.sun.com/download/index.jsp?cat=Desktop&tab=3&subcat=Office%20Productivity

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:54
English to Polish
+ ...
works with Word 2002, too Sep 5, 2007

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

now we can open odt (opendocument text) files on word 2003. just install the plug-in from sun here: http://www.sun.com/download/index.jsp?cat=Desktop&tab=3&subcat=Office%20Productivity

I checked that by installing it in my Office XP.

Piotr

Mulyadi Subali
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no luck on word 2007 Sep 5, 2007

unfortunately, it can't be used with word 2007, although it now has option to save it to odt in its 'save as' function. haven't tried it out yet though.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Another piece of information Sep 5, 2007

This is somewhat related, so I am sorry for butting in on your topic, Mulyadi!

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100444731033.aspx

This allows to open Office 2007 formats (DOCX etc.) in Office 2003.
There are limitations, so read the information on the site!

Pawel Skalinski

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
DOCX and ODP Sep 5, 2007

PAS wrote:
This allows to open Office 2007 formats (DOCX etc.) in Office 2003.

Someone (not a client) recently sent me a DOCX file to read and send back with comments. I told him I only have MS Office XP, so he said "just download the compatibility pack". He didn't say "wait, let me resend it in the old format".

Several hours later I finally got the compatibility pack from the slow MS web site, and I was able to read his document. I was sorely tempted to send it back to him in OpenDocument format, so I could say "just download OpenOffice.org".

Mulyadi Subali
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
update on word 2007 Sep 7, 2007

although i can't open native odt files, made in ooo, i can create odt file in word 2007. then:
i can open the file, created in word 2007, in staroffice8.
i can also use the odt for translation in omegat.
the translated odt can also be opened in staroffice8.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Just be careful with Office 2000 Sep 7, 2007

Mulyadi Subali wrote:
Now we can open odt (opendocument text) files on word 2003. Just install the plug-in from Sun...

I installed it but I only have Office 2000. The installer installed without prompting or warning me. After that, ODT files were associated with MS Word, but MS Word crashed when trying to open them. After I uninstalled the plug-in, ODT was associated with OpenOffice again and both OpenOffice and MS Word worked like normal.

Interestingly: The Sun plug-in is 30 MB large, and OpenOffice is 80 MB large. Sure, the one is three times as big as the other, but if you can download 30 MB then what's stopping you from downloading 80 MB? Just a thought.

Pily
Pily  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Microsoft Office & Open Office at the same time Oct 28, 2007

Hi,
I have just changed into a new computer with MS Office 2007 and I have downloud SDL 2006 and SDL 2007. As I worked before with Open Office and now I want to work only with MS Office I' can't open all my odt. folders.
Sometimes we receive from our clients odt. text .In order to open them I think to downloud Open Office in my new computer. Someone told me that I can have some problems.
What do you think?
Thaks a lot
PILY

Mulyadi Subali
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no problem whatsoever Oct 28, 2007

at the office, i have microsoft office 2007, openoffice.org 2.3 and ibm lotus symphonye. these three are office suite. they run just fine.

Pily
Pily  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'll downloud Open Office with MS Office Oct 30, 2007

Thanks a lot for your answer Mulyadi:
But even if I donwloud Open Office in my new computert too I can't see how to open my old odt. files (I have a lot) in MS Office 2007(word 2007, Excell, Power point) in order to work with Trados 2007. I've understood that I can't open odt. native files in Word 2007.
Give me un advise please!!

Mulyadi Subali
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
change file type association Oct 30, 2007

in windows explorer, click tools - folder options. click on file types tab, then odt (and odp, ods). click on it, then click change. find the appropriate program, i.e. swriter, then click ok.

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
One more tool Aug 27, 2008

Pily wrote:
But even if I donwloud Open Office in my new computert too I can't see how to open my old odt. files (I have a lot) in MS Office 2007(word 2007, Excell, Power point) in order to work with Trados 2007. I've understood that I can't open odt. native files in Word 2007.

Hi all,

Here's a late addition to this thread:
http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/

Works with most MS Office versions, including 2007.

/J

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

plug-in to open odt on word 2003

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »