Thread poster: Francesco Damiani
Francesco Damiani
Francesco Damiani  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 12:53
French to Italian
+ ...
Sep 13, 2007

It is difficult working with "Windows Excel"?
I read a job offer in which I need this software, but to avoid offering something I can't achieve, I'd know understand more furtherly....
Thank you very much.
Francesco

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:53
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
There is no "Windows Excel" Sep 13, 2007

Probably, you mean Microsoft Office Excel? No, it is not difficult working with it. But you should be more precise on what you want to know.

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
MS Office Excel Sep 13, 2007

If you already have Word and MS Office on your computer, you probably also have Excel too.

Francesco Damiani
Belgium
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Sep 13, 2007

Yes,I have "Excel" but my aim is understand more furtherly what is "Windows Excel".
Working with "Word" is an habit for me, even if I find to translate more and more with files HTML. I already said I've fear to promise something I'm not able to do.
Thank you again
Francesco

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Use your normal CAT or copy to Word. Sep 13, 2007

Do you translate with Trados or Wordfast? In that case you can translate the file in tageditor as normal with Trados, or in Word with Wordfast.
You can also copy the cells to Word and paste them after finishing the translation. Should usually not be a problem.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Help file? Tutorial? Sep 13, 2007

As with all Microsoft Windows software, Excel comes with a help file too.
Open the programme, fool around, read the help file. Maybe they've even got a tutorial.

If you know how to work with other MS Office tools, Excel should not be a problem.
It is, by the way, a spreadsheet/database programme.

Good luck.

Caroline Reiss
Caroline Reiss  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tutorials Sep 13, 2007

Hi Francesco,

Excel is a fairly straight-forward programme to learn. I hadn't used it that much until about three years ago and now I use it quite a bit for compiling/storing glossaries and general business admin. If you google "Excel tutorial", you can find plenty of good sites that can help you learn how to use it. Really, it's just a case of opening the programme and playing around with it, also, as Margreet mentioned earlier, the help files are extremely useful too.
<
... See more
Hi Francesco,

Excel is a fairly straight-forward programme to learn. I hadn't used it that much until about three years ago and now I use it quite a bit for compiling/storing glossaries and general business admin. If you google "Excel tutorial", you can find plenty of good sites that can help you learn how to use it. Really, it's just a case of opening the programme and playing around with it, also, as Margreet mentioned earlier, the help files are extremely useful too.

Good luck!
Collapse

Deschant
Deschant
Ask the customer/agency Sep 13, 2007

Ask your customer/agency what is exactly expected of you. Some of them use Excel in a very straightforward way: they provide the sentences or paragraphs to translate in one column and you have to write each translation in the next column (so that they know exactly which is the translation for each paragraph). This is very simple, and you only need the ability to type (as in Word) and to switch from one cell to the other (which you can do by using the arrows in your keyboard or by using the mouse... See more
Ask your customer/agency what is exactly expected of you. Some of them use Excel in a very straightforward way: they provide the sentences or paragraphs to translate in one column and you have to write each translation in the next column (so that they know exactly which is the translation for each paragraph). This is very simple, and you only need the ability to type (as in Word) and to switch from one cell to the other (which you can do by using the arrows in your keyboard or by using the mouse).

Other projects may need a more advanced use of Excel but in any case, as Caroline pointed out, it's not a terribly complex problem to learn.

Regards,
Eva
Collapse

Luisa Fiorini
Luisa Fiorini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
MS Office Excel Sep 13, 2007

Francesco Damiani wrote:

Yes,I have "Excel" but my aim is understand more furtherly what is "Windows Excel".

As the other colleagues told you, Windows Excel does not exist. Maybe your client was referring to Microsoft Office Excel. If you have Word, you certainly have Excel too.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:53
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's a legitimate, meaningful term Sep 13, 2007

I believe this is a reference to the Windows version of Excel as distinct from the Mac version. (If memory serves, the Mac version came first.)

It's more common to call it "Excel for Windows" but I've heard people make the "Windows Excel" versus "Mac Excel" distinction, particularly when I was working in IT.

These days it hardly matters which version you use, at least with most Western alphabets. But using the wrong version with Cyrillic, for instance, may cause problem
... See more
I believe this is a reference to the Windows version of Excel as distinct from the Mac version. (If memory serves, the Mac version came first.)

It's more common to call it "Excel for Windows" but I've heard people make the "Windows Excel" versus "Mac Excel" distinction, particularly when I was working in IT.

These days it hardly matters which version you use, at least with most Western alphabets. But using the wrong version with Cyrillic, for instance, may cause problems, especially with older operating systems and/or older releases of Excel.

[Edited at 2007-09-13 15:18]
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Word without Excel is possible Sep 13, 2007

Luisa Fiorini wrote:
If you have Word, you certainly have Excel too.

That is probable but not certain: there is a Microsoft office (not "Office") product called "Works suite" which includes the Word word processor but has a simpler spreadsheet that is not Excel.
Oliver

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:53
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, they are (or were) sold separately Sep 14, 2007

I bought Word 2003 and Excel 2003 as stand-alone apps. You don't have to buy the whole Office suite.

[Edited at 2007-09-14 01:46]

Francesco Damiani
Belgium
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but........ Sep 14, 2007

At present I answered to this job offer.........I don't want take a risk, but perhaps it is possible to solve out this problem(?)...
I was worry becuse I don't want take a risk, say "Yes" and understand this "Windows Excel" isn't at my disposal in my computer. But perhaps by using "Word" I can work.Thank you very much to everybody!
Francesco

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Compliance with job requirements Sep 14, 2007

Hi Francesco,
I was worry becuse I don't want take a risk, say "Yes" and understand this "Windows Excel" isn't at my disposal in my computer. But perhaps by using "Word" I can work.

Don't you think there's a reason why Microsoft Excel is required? It is possible to use Word as a workaround - but I fail to see how you're going to manage that if you don't know the required software in the first place.

To me, accepting a job with requirements you cannot meet sounds like a recipe for getting into trouble...

Best regards,
Ralf

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Why use Excel at all? Sep 15, 2007

Francesco Damiani wrote:

At present I answered to this job offer.........I don't want take a risk, but perhaps it is possible to solve out this problem(?)...
I was worry becuse I don't want take a risk, say "Yes" and understand this "Windows Excel" isn't at my disposal in my computer. But perhaps by using "Word" I can work.Thank you very much to everybody!
Francesco

If you have Trados, you can use the Tageditor to translate the Excel file - I do not believe that you need Excel at all for that purpose.

However, if you want to check, please e-mail me with your e-mail and I'll send a sample text in Excel so that you can try it out...

bests

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with "Windows Excel"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »