What is a system builder version?
Thread poster: Damian Harrison

Damian Harrison
Germany
Local time: 18:56
German to English
Sep 24, 2007

I have seen several "system builder" versions of Office 2007 about, all of them cost around 50% of the normal price for these apps. Can somebody please explain to me what a "system builder" version is (and the difference between SB and OEM versions also)?
Cheers.

Direct link Reply with quote

Renate Reinartz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
SB are reseller who configure hardware/software bundles Sep 24, 2007

Damian Harrison wrote:

I have seen several "system builder" versions of Office 2007 about, all of them cost around 50% of the normal price for these apps. Can somebody please explain to me what a "system builder" version is (and the difference between SB and OEM versions also)?
Cheers.

Hi Damian,

OEMs are typically hardware manufactors. System builder are typically smaller companies, e.g. hardware shops who configure PC systems for their clients.

Best
Renate

PS: I am not sure what is the most current rule, but a few years ago you need to buy a mainboard and/or hard disk to buy a system builder version of M$ software.

[Edited at 2007-09-24 17:39]

Damian Harrison
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Are the apps different in any way? Sep 24, 2007

OEMs are typically hardware manufactors. System builder are typically smaller companies, e.g. hardware shops who configure PC systems for their clients.

Thanks for the info.
What I need to know is: Is a system builder version of Microsoft Office different to a retail or OEM version?

Renate Reinartz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Functional the same, just a license issue Sep 24, 2007

Damian Harrison wrote:
Thanks for the info.
What I need to know is: Is a system builder version of Microsoft Office different to a retail or OEM version?

You're welcome.
SfaIk no difference besides the license or better buying/selling restriction.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Support restrictions Sep 25, 2007

AFAIK, tech support for DSP/SB versions of Microsoft software is limited compared with the regular versions. Other than that, there are no disadvantages, at least in Germany.

Any restrictions concerning resale would be illegal here, which is why M$ had to reprint a lot of Vista DVDs recently that had a labeling which claimed you couldn't resell the product without selling the hardware it was bound to.

Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a system builder version?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search