Problem with the keyboard showing different signs than the button
Thread poster: Peter Adolph

Peter Adolph
Local time: 15:25
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Sep 26, 2007

All of a sudden, my keyboard has started to insert a slash, '/', in stead of a hyphen, '-', when I use the hyphen button. I have searched MS Office's off- and online help, but am unable to find a solution. Probably I just hit a series of buttons at the same time, but I can't figure out what series is required to undo ...
The same problem goes for the row of buttons with the numeric figures.

Does anyone know the problem or maybe even a solution?

Kind regards,
Peter

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Alt Shift Shift (I think) Sep 26, 2007

You've probably unknowingly chosen a strange language setting.

Silvia Moreno Parrado  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try changing the keyboard layout (alt + shift) Sep 26, 2007

Hi Peter,

You probably hit left Alt +shift, which changes the keyboard layout in case you've installed more than one (e.g. English, Spanish, French). Spanish and English keyboards, for example, have different layouts.
Try with left Alt +shift again until the layout is ok for you.

Hope this helps,

Silvia

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:25
French to English
+ ...
Alt shift Sep 26, 2007

Is what I use when my keyboard goes funny - I've usually had the " and @ signs the wrong way round. I suspect I've pressed Alt shift by mistake as it's very close to the Wordfast commands Alt down, Alt insert, etc when you're typing fast.

HTH

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
Control panel Sep 26, 2007

Hi Peter,

Why don't you try this (I use Win XP, maybe the structure on your pc differ from this, but in principle this is how you do it):

Control panel
Regional settings
Languages (the 2nd of the 3 tags)
Details

You now get a box where you can set up the keyboard languages, and change back to the intial settings. You have probably changed the language by using a certain key combination.

Good luck!

Regards
Erik

Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Sep 26, 2007

... In the meantime I simply reset the pc and now everything is back to normal, but I will keep your suggestions in the back of my head for future use!

Thx!
Peter

ntext  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:25
German to English
+ ...
Did you accidentally change the keyboard layout? Sep 26, 2007

If the problem occurs under all programs (e.g. in Notepad), check your keyboard layout:

http://www.eduthink.com/winxpus_lang.htm

If it's just in MS Word, check AutoCorrect options.

Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know ... Sep 26, 2007

thanks, Norbert!

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
It's very handy sometimes Sep 26, 2007

Claire Cox wrote:

Is what I use when my keyboard goes funny - I've usually had the " and @ signs the wrong way round. I suspect I've pressed Alt shift by mistake as it's very close to the Wordfast commands Alt down, Alt insert, etc when you're typing fast.

HTH

Alt-shift does the trick. You can also click on the keyboard button in the lower right corner of your screen if your taskbar has the feature languages. I use it sometimes because each type of layout has its own handy keys.

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Frequently happens to me Sep 27, 2007

Yes, Alt + Shift is the culprit — and it's a keystroke combination I hit quite often by mistake, as I use Alt + Num often for typing accented and other 'special' characters.

It switches your keyboard layout over to a different language (in my case, from FR to EN) — fine if you're a touch-typist in both languages, but I'm not!

Took me ages to find out what was causing it, and how to correct it (Alt + Shift toggles it back again, unless you have more than 2 different languages set up, of course)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with the keyboard showing different signs than the button

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search