Lenah Susianty
Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:30
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Oct 30, 2007

Does anyone here know how to change the keyboard layout easily? My new keyboard come with funny system, for example to get @ I cannot use shift and @, but more shift and " !!!
And I cannot yet find how to write poundsterling, euro symbols and many more symbols, because they are not what they look and how they should be. Can anyone please help me with this? thank you very much!

Lenah

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Use combination CTR + Shift, if it does not work read the rest of my reply Oct 30, 2007

Dear Lenah,

The main difference between the layout used in the UK and USA is position of @ and " signs. If you have @ above 2 it means that you have USA style keybord. If you have " above 2 most likely it is UK keyboard.

Whatever is the physical layout of keys you can change how this keys work by choosing the right software keyboard. At the bottom of your screen left from the system clock usually is icon of the keyboard. In your case most likely it is English (USA) to c
... See more
Dear Lenah,

The main difference between the layout used in the UK and USA is position of @ and " signs. If you have @ above 2 it means that you have USA style keybord. If you have " above 2 most likely it is UK keyboard.

Whatever is the physical layout of keys you can change how this keys work by choosing the right software keyboard. At the bottom of your screen left from the system clock usually is icon of the keyboard. In your case most likely it is English (USA) to change it you need to click on this icon and than choose English UK.

If you don't see this icon right click taskbar, go to toolbars and choose "the language bar" than go back to the previous step.

If you don't have this option than you need to go to the Control Panel, choose Keyboard (in classic view) and add a new keyboard - namely English UK, (it is likey that you will need windows instalation disc to do it.

HTH
S

[Edited at 2007-10-30 23:19]
Collapse

Lenah Susianty
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
have tried Oct 30, 2007

Hi Stanislaw, thanks for the response. Actually I've changed the language and the clock system, because it was the US system. However after changing things, I still don't know how to write pound sterling/euro and other symbols. They are all there in the keyboard, but the shift and pound streling symbol doesn't work!

Mafalda d'Orey de Faria
Mafalda d'Orey de Faria  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@, £ or € Oct 31, 2007

Hi Lenah,
In my keyboard to write £, @ or €, I press Alt Gr and @, £ or € as necessary.

Hope it helps.

Mafalda

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Use Regional & Language Options Oct 31, 2007

On Control Panel, select Regional & Language Options.
If you just want UK and never US, the first tab (Regional options) will show "English (United States)". From the dropdown list, select "English (United Kingdom) instead. This should do it.

But a better way in my opinion, because it gives you the option of switching between as many keyboards as you care to install, is:
Control Panel > Language & Regional Options > "Languages" tab > "Add a Keyboard" > add "English (Un
... See more
On Control Panel, select Regional & Language Options.
If you just want UK and never US, the first tab (Regional options) will show "English (United States)". From the dropdown list, select "English (United Kingdom) instead. This should do it.

But a better way in my opinion, because it gives you the option of switching between as many keyboards as you care to install, is:
Control Panel > Language & Regional Options > "Languages" tab > "Add a Keyboard" > add "English (United Kingdom) > delete (English United States) if you want, or leave it as an option, and add any other keyboards you may require > use the Language Bar tab to select how you want to show which one you are using. A language bar in the taskbar enables you to change keyboards by clicking on it to display all the ones you have installed and click on the one you want to switch to. You can also change keyboards by some combination using the Alt or Ctrl keys, but I never use this method myself.
Collapse

Lenah Susianty
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no it still doesn't work Oct 31, 2007

Mafalda d'Orey de Faria wrote:

Hi Lenah,
In my keyboard to write £, @ or €, I press Alt Gr and @, £ or € as necessary.

Mafalda

Hi Mafalda, thanks, but it still doesn't work ...I tried to use your way, but nothing happened...

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 13:30
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Probably a silly question, but... Oct 31, 2007

Did you re-start your computer again after changing the settings?

I seem to remember I was doing this same manœuvre just the other day, only didn't realize it only took effect at the next re-boot.

Lenah Susianty
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have... Oct 31, 2007

Tony M wrote:

Did you re-start your computer again after changing the settings?

I seem to remember I was doing this same manœuvre just the other day, only didn't realize it only took effect at the next re-boot.

I have actually. I changed the setting yesterday and today it is still the same...

Lenah Susianty
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it works now! Oct 31, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

A language bar in the taskbar enables you to change keyboards by clicking on it to display all the ones you have installed and click on the one you want to switch to. You can also change keyboards by some combination using the Alt or Ctrl keys, but I never use this method myself.

Just followed your suggestion! and it works! thanks a lot! the other day it seemed that I only changed the language, but not thoroughly! phew! thanks to every one who has commented and given their advices!

Lenah

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Remap your keys with AutoHotKey Nov 4, 2007

Lenah Susianty wrote:
Does anyone here know how to change the keyboard layout easily?

Yes. Create a script with AutoHotKey to remap your keys to whatever you like. You can also convert the script to an EXE file and put it in your Startup folder so that it runs every time you start your computer. The script only works as long as it is running, so it doesn't make permanent changes to your computer or your keyboard.

The well-known alternative layout Colemak uses a simple AHK script to remap your keyboard. AHK is simple to learn.

http://www.autohotkey.com/

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
sharpkeys Nov 4, 2007

There was a time when I did some search to find a good key-remapping software, and this is the must (the name is sharpkeys)
http://www.randyrants.com/software.html

autohotkeys is a script programme and requires a bit more expertise. Sharpkeys is as simple as it should be

Piotr

Lenah Susianty
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 4, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

The well-known alternative layout Colemak uses a simple AHK script to remap your keyboard. AHK is simple to learn.

http://www.autohotkey.com/

thanks Samuel!

Lenah Susianty
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot! Nov 4, 2007

Piotr Sawiec wrote:

There was a time when I did some search to find a good key-remapping software, and this is the must (the name is sharpkeys)
http://www.randyrants.com/software.html

Piotr

thanks will try it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

keyboard layout

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »