Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:40
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 18, 2007

Is there a function in Writer which would let me compare two documents so that I would see the changes between them? Like in Word?
Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:40
English to German
+ ...
Yes Nov 18, 2007

Edit->Compare documents. (I use the German localization, and there it's under Bearbeiten->Dokument vergleichen)

Sonja

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But where are the changes? Nov 19, 2007

After the procedure there are no changes visible like in Word, where I can apply the changes manually to the uncleaned document.
In Writer I do not see the changes. What am I doing wrong?

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
In OO 2.3.0, English version Nov 19, 2007

go to Edit-Changes...-Show

HTH

Antonin

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Hidden text? Nov 19, 2007

Does your document contain hidden text? If so, you have to manually enable hidden text in OOo. Since I hardly ever work with WF files in OOo, I can't help you with this. (Check the View or Tools menu.)

Sonja

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No hidden text Nov 19, 2007

Just normal text. But in Word I see the changes after comparing (strike through/coloring).

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Works fine for me Nov 19, 2007

The compare document function works fine for me in OOo. Unfortunately I have no idea what could be wrong at your side.

Sonja

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Its different Nov 19, 2007

When I accept or reject all changes, no changes are visible in the final document. In Word I receive a document with all changes marked in different colors and formatted with strike-through.
I have to convert the document to Word and use Word's compare-function in order to be able to see the changes properly, as I'm used to.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Really? Nov 19, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
When I accept or reject all changes, no changes are visible in the final document.

Strange. If I have a document with track changes enabled and there are indeed changes in the document that are visible (strike-through, etc.), and I accept or reject all changes, they simply disappear from the document - IMHO, that's how it should be, both in OOo and Word.

Sonja

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Track changes Nov 19, 2007

That must be the reason. I never use Track changes in Word. But I have activatet Edit-Change-Show, but the changes are not visible after I accept them. Where is Track Changes?

Germany
English to German
+ ...
You don't understand how it works Nov 19, 2007

Hello Heinrich,

You do not seem to understand how track changes actually works.

If you receive a file with visible changes, and you accept/reject all changes, these changes are gone, i.e. they are no longer visible.

By definition, accept all changes will incorporate all visible (tracked) changes into the original file, and thereby replace the original text with the changed text. Reject changes works in a similar way, only that any visible changes to the document are ignored and simply removed from the document altogether. And again, any changes are gone from the document, and you should no longer see stroke-through text or any highlighting, indicating that there are any changes (because there are simply no changes any more). This is the normal behaviour. So there's nothing wrong with either Word or OOo in this respect.

If you could let us know what you are actually trying to accomplish we might be able to help you.

Sonja

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:40
German to English
+ ...
Versioning Nov 19, 2007

Perhaps you could use versioning.

If you create a document, save it normally, then go to File>Versions... and click the “Save New Verson” button, then add to it or alter it and go to File>Versions... again and again click the “Save New Verson” button you will then have two versions that you can compare and I think accept or reject the second version and then still compare.

I’m not so sure about comparing two essentially completely different documents this way other than by copy/pasting the second onto a second version (or whichever number you are up to).

There is also something called OOoSVN which you might want to look at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/

[Edited at 2007-11-19 10:44]

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In Word Nov 19, 2007

...I have two documents, the original, which I had sent to the proofreader, and the one that has been edited. I never use track changes, because I want to see the text properly.

I Word I open one of the docs and use Compare and merge. After that the changes are visible in the second document. Then I close the first doc and open the uncleaned file, apply the changes one after the other (or do not apply them, if they seem wrong), save the uncleaned do, clean up and update my memory and save the cleaned file under a new name. This file I will send to the customer.
The problem here is, that the proofreader does not have Word, and it would save some time if Writer would have the same function as Word. But I can cope without Writer by simply converting to Word-format.

Haiyang Ai  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Versioning in Google Docs Nov 19, 2007

Google's online word processing Docs(http://docs.google.com) also has versioning function.
Press CTRL + S to save whenever you want, and it will document your changes.

-------------
English Chinese Translator
www.chineservice.com

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Possible procedure in OOo Nov 19, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
In Word I open one of the docs and use Compare and merge. After that the changes are visible in the second document.

I always get confused with which document is which, so what I do is I add a dummy word at the top of one of the files, and then do the Compare function, to see if the dummy word is marked as an addition or a deletion. Then I know which of either underlined or crossed out means "new".

In OOo, do this:

1. Open the old document in Writer
2. Go Edit -> Changes, and make sure only "Show" has a tick mark next to it.
3. Go Edit -> Compare, and select the new document.

The changes should now be visible. There will also be an annoying window that shows the changes -- you can click on one to go to the change in question. To dismiss that window, click the "x". To get that window back, go Edit -> Changes -> Accept or Reject.

The problem here is, that the proofreader does not have Word, and it would save some time if Writer would have the same function as Word. But I can cope without Writer by simply converting to Word-format.

If the proofreader isn't using Track Changes, in other words, if he is simply making changes, then it really doesn't matter what wordprocessing program he's using, right? You're the one who's going to do the "Compare", so all you need is that the old document and the new document can be opened and compared in your favourite word processor.

Wouldn't it be easier to just save the file as TXT before sending it to the proofreader, and then use a program such as WinMerge to compare the file you get back from the proofreader with the one you sent him? WinMerge does a much, much better job of pointing out changes (but only in plaintext files).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open Office Writer and compare docs

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search