Microsoft Office Document Imaging in Office 2007
Thread poster: Eutychus

Eutychus  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:55
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 19, 2007

I have been running MS Office Small Business Edition 2003, which under the shared MS Office tools option includes MS Document Imaging. This is a great way to OCR a PDF and send it to Word. However it no longer seems to exist in MS Office Small Business Edition 2007. Can anybody tell me how to retrieve it or install a similar app?

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

I think this happens Nov 19, 2007

because “Microsoft Document Image Writer” feature is not installed by default when you run Office 2007 setup. In any case, in Office 2003 it did not install by default, you should choose the custom installation. I would recommend checking additional Office elements to be installed: I am sure you'll find MDI there.

Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right! Nov 20, 2007

Natalie wrote:

because “Microsoft Document Image Writer” feature is not installed by default when you run Office 2007 setup. In any case, in Office 2003 it did not install by default, you should choose the custom installation. I would recommend checking additional Office elements to be installed: I am sure you'll find MDI there.

It has always installed by default for me with Office 2003, but you are right that it is available as an option on the Office 2007 CD. I've now successfully installed it - thanks very much!

Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why does it not recognize pdfs? Nov 20, 2007

Hi Eutychus, I followed your instructions and found the MS document imaging feature. However, it does not seem to be able to detect any of my pdf files...

Martin

Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's worrying... Nov 20, 2007

Martin Wenzel wrote:

Hi Eutychus, I followed your instructions and found the MS document imaging feature. However, it does not seem to be able to detect any of my pdf files...

Martin

What happens if you open a pdf and click "print...". Don't you get it as an option in the list of printers? (I think of MODI as a virtual printer, basically).

I tried doing this and it worked...

Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I spoke too soon Nov 30, 2007

I don't know what's happened, but although I can now get it to print to MODI it does not display in MODI but in Picture Manager, which does not have a "send to Word" option. I can create a *.mdi document but the system cannot find an application to open it (ie it seems to have installed only the driver and not the app itself).

Any other experience/ideas from anyone??

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Office Document Imaging in Office 2007

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search