How can I place a line THROUGH text in Word to show it is crossed out?
Thread poster: Nicole Johnson

Nicole Johnson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:03
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 29, 2007

Can anyone tell me how to cancel out a portion of text in Word which shows a line through the text (not under it)? I know this can be done, because I did it the other day by mistake by hitting the CTRL key plus another, but now that I need to use it I can't figure out which one it was!

Thanks in advance.


 

Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:03
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Font menu Nov 29, 2007

Highlight the text that needs to be crossed out. Select "Fonts" in the menu (top of your screen). A menu opens and under "Effects" select the option "Strikethrough".

That should do the trick.

Kathi


 

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:03
Member
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Track changes Nov 29, 2007

While Kathi's solution works fine, consider the standard method for editing texts using " Track changes". That way all the changes you made are clearly visible, and can be accepted/deleted by a single click of the mouse.
Deleted parts are either shown as red crossed-out text or appear on the margin in little boxes.
Attila


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ctrl+comma Nov 29, 2007

Nicole Johnson wrote:
I know this can be done, because I did it the other day by mistake by hitting the CTRL key plus another, but now that I need to use it I can't figure out which one it was!


Ctrl+comma might *hide* certain pieces of text, but it doesn't remove it. It removes it from your view, but if you open the file on another computer, it may be visible again.


 

Tony M
France
Local time: 13:03
Member
French to English
+ ...
Toolbar button Nov 29, 2007

I found I was using this one so much, I added it (under Tools > Customize) a s toolbar on my standard formatting menu.

If you use it a lot, you might want to consider creating your own keyboard shortcut for it.


 

Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:03
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Yes, add icon to your toolbar Nov 29, 2007

Tony M wrote:

I found I was using this one so much, I added it (under Tools > Customize) a s toolbar on my standard formatting menu.

If you use it a lot, you might want to consider creating your own keyboard shortcut for it.


That's it. There's an icon that looks like ABC horizontally crossed through that you can add to your toolbar. Click on "customize" I think, or perhaps it's in "options", can't remember, but it works.
Regards,
Jenny.


 

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Font Nov 29, 2007

Look under Font and you will find "strikethrough" and "double strikethrough". Highlight the text then select whichever you want and it's done.

 

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:03
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
CTRL+D Nov 30, 2007

Pressing CTRL+D opens the same fonts window in which you will have access to effects and strikethrough and double strikethrough.

If you use this a lot, you might want to add it to your toolbars (right-click on the toolbar area, click on customize, in the commands tab, select all commands and then in the right hand pane, find strikethrough).


 

JeckleingHyde
United States
Kinda Oct 27, 2015

Rahi Moosavi wrote:

Pressing CTRL+D opens the same fonts window in which you will have access to effects and strikethrough and double strikethrough.

If you use this a lot, you might want to add it to your toolbars (right-click on the toolbar area, click on customize, in the commands tab, select all commands and then in the right hand pane, find strikethrough).



but i have a windows 7 my crtl+d adds a bookmark anyone know it for my kinda computer


 

Tony M
France
Local time: 13:03
Member
French to English
+ ...
What version of Office / Word are you using? Oct 27, 2015

JeckleingHyde wrote:

but i have a windows 7 my crtl+d adds a bookmark anyone know it for my kinda computer


It shouldn't be anything to do with which version of Windows you have, but rather, which version of Office / Word you are using?

If the keyboard shortcut doesn't work (and it's easy enough to re-assign that later if you wish to), then you should be able to find 'Font' under the 'Format' menu — at least, that's how it used to work on old Word, before they brought out all these new-fangled ribbons and things I don't understand!


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nooooooooo, Tony... you fell for it. Oct 28, 2015

Tony M wrote:
JeckleingHyde wrote:
but i have a windows 7 my crtl+d adds a bookmark anyone know it for my kinda computer

...


"Jeckle-ing Hyde" is clearly a troll, mate. Ctrl+D is the browser's shortcut for adding a bookmark.

I wonder how many unique people make up the 124492 views that this thread got.

[Edited at 2015-10-28 08:48 GMT]


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I place a line THROUGH text in Word to show it is crossed out?

Advanced search






CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search