Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:56
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 30, 2007

Hi everybody

I've received a .mdb file to translate, and need to give an estimate. How can I count words in it?

Regards

Direct link Reply with quote

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Maybe the easiest way Nov 30, 2007

is to export each table on Excel, where you can filter out items you don't need to translate. I don't think there is a wordcount command in Access itself, but I might be wrong.

Hope this helps
Gianni

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
One approach Nov 30, 2007

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:
I've received a .mdb file to translate, and need to give an estimate. How can I count words in it?

If you're familiar with creating reports in Access, probably the simplest option is to create a report containing the full contents of each table and output those reports as Word files. Then analyze the Word file using your usual tools.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Will work in many cases Nov 30, 2007

Gianni Pastore wrote:

is to export each table on Excel, where you can filter out items you don't need to translate. I don't think there is a wordcount command in Access itself, but I might be wrong.

Hope this helps
Gianni

Hi, Gianni.

That was the first solution I thought of, but I don't think it will work with every Access database. If the db includes full-text fields with large amounts of text, won't Excel truncate them? I know the older versions of Excel didn't support full-text cells, but I don't know if the newer versions do.

Regards.

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Mmmm... Nov 30, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:

That was the first solution I thought of, but I don't think it will work with every Access database. If the db includes full-text fields with large amounts of text, won't Excel truncate them? I know the older versions of Excel didn't support full-text cells, but I don't know if the newer versions do.

Regards.

Steve,
I think latest XL versions should handle any kind/type of text without making too much fuss. If any problem, I can see text fields broken up in more cells, but I don't think this should be a problem for word count.

Anyhow, the report solution you suggested is excellent!

Cheers
Gianni

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, people Nov 30, 2007

Your suggestions were excellent!

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
solution that works Dec 1, 2007

Hi! there is an export function in access. You can export all tables from access to excel and drop them in analyse tab in trados workbench, do the translation clean and import into access. Replace the original source excel files with the target files. There you go. Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count in MS Access?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search