Cristina Pereira
Cristina Pereira  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:22
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 1, 2007

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if is there a way to remove hyperlinks in Word in a group of sentences, in this case a table with several pages.

I know how to do it one by one, but is it possible to do it for a whole table? I even converted the table to plain text, but couldn't figure it out.

Thanks in advance,

Cristina

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:22
Danish to English
+ ...
hyperlink Dec 1, 2007

On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options, and then click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.
Under Replace as you type, select or clear the Internet and network paths with hyperlinks check box.

Otherwise in word, enter your question in "type a question for help" area like "turn on or off hyperlink formatting".

This should answer your question.

Suz

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One solution Dec 2, 2007

CristinaPereira wrote:
I know how to do it one by one, but is it possible to do it for a whole table? I even converted the table to plain text, but couldn't figure it out.

If the text has even formatting, you can copy it to, say, Notepad, and then copy it back into MS Word. Just make sure the auto-hyperlink feature is off when you copy it back into MS Word.

Cristina Pereira
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done! Dec 2, 2007

Thank you very much to both of you.

I couldn't do as Suz explained, but Samuel's suggestion worked fine. I keep forgetting how Notepad can be wonderful for certain tasks...

Have a nice Sunday,

Cristina

Paul Betts
Paul Betts  Identity Verified
French to English
The 'F4' command? Dec 2, 2007

I am sure you use the F4 command to save time in Word, and it may be the method you are already employing, but just in case (one should never assume), I will post it...

The single delete hyperlink path requires 3 mouse events:
  • select hyperlink
  • + right mouse click on it then
  • + select sub-menu to delete it.
If you are using this route for many hyperlinks, I can understand that it doesn't seem too efficient.

A better way is to use the F4 re
... See more
I am sure you use the F4 command to save time in Word, and it may be the method you are already employing, but just in case (one should never assume), I will post it...

The single delete hyperlink path requires 3 mouse events:
  • select hyperlink
  • + right mouse click on it then
  • + select sub-menu to delete it.
If you are using this route for many hyperlinks, I can understand that it doesn't seem too efficient.

A better way is to use the F4 repeat command function which lets you stay on the keyboard (and not have to get embroiled in other reformatting events as in the otherwise very useful above-mentioned Notepad method). So, you first perform the usual three strokes once on a hyperlink (for the very first in the sequence of deletions) then, for the next deletion, you:
  • 'select' the target link text with your left or right cursors whilst holding Ctrl + Shift', and
  • you hit function key 'F4'.
This will repeat the 'delete hyperlink' action more efficiently, but you may also burn less calories, which can be an issue for some computer pilots. Anyway, I hope I am not 'teaching grandma to suck eggs', and it is of some use to someone.

[Edited at 2007-12-02 13:24]
Collapse

Cristina Pereira
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About F4 Dec 4, 2007

Thanks for the tip, Paul.

Yes, I use F4 a lot, but in this case I didn't even thought about doing it. I also did not explain my problem very well: I wanted the sentences without the hyperlinks in a separate document because I had to insert the translation of these sentences in the document being translated (they had to be kept hyperlinked in the target language). It was just to make copy&paste easier.

I don't know how many words of hyperlinks I edited, but it was surely
... See more
Thanks for the tip, Paul.

Yes, I use F4 a lot, but in this case I didn't even thought about doing it. I also did not explain my problem very well: I wanted the sentences without the hyperlinks in a separate document because I had to insert the translation of these sentences in the document being translated (they had to be kept hyperlinked in the target language). It was just to make copy&paste easier.

I don't know how many words of hyperlinks I edited, but it was surely above 4,000. Thank God I already finished it

Cristina
Collapse

Paul Betts
Paul Betts  Identity Verified
French to English
4000 hyperlinks! Dec 4, 2007

Wow, I guess you really had your work cut out. So you weren't translating the hyper-links as such, but the 'anchor text' that sits in front of them (If I understand what you say). Did you just do it via the notepad method or did you do it by some other route?
Cheers
Paul.

Cristina Pereira
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Words, not hyperlinks Dec 5, 2007

Hi Paul, I’ll try to explain further, I know it sounds confusing. I had a table with 200-300 sentences hyperlinked. These same sentences were repeated, also as hyperlinks, along the whole document. So first I typed the translation in the dialogue box “Edit hyperlink” in the table (for the whole lot) and then copied and pasted (that’s why I needed to remove the hyperlinks) each time I found the same sentence in the text. Not a particularly creative job, but I was strongly advised not to u... See more
Hi Paul, I’ll try to explain further, I know it sounds confusing. I had a table with 200-300 sentences hyperlinked. These same sentences were repeated, also as hyperlinks, along the whole document. So first I typed the translation in the dialogue box “Edit hyperlink” in the table (for the whole lot) and then copied and pasted (that’s why I needed to remove the hyperlinks) each time I found the same sentence in the text. Not a particularly creative job, but I was strongly advised not to use Trados, as it would damage the hyperlinks. If I could, it would have been much quicker...

Anyway, I couldn't think of any other way to do this

Regards,

Cristina
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Removing hyperlinks in Word (grouped)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »