Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:59
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2003

How do I edit a chart in MS-Word? I do not see it in the different screen formats, including the \"print preview\" format. The only way I can see the chart is when I print out the page. Can anyone explain how to edit the chart, please?

Ed

Marisapad
Marisapad  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
not so easy... Mar 6, 2003

you could try as follows:

Clic on the \"ghost\" of the graphic.

Hold down the keys SHIFT+CTRL and press F9.

Right-click on the \"ghost\" of the graphic and this should appear in a separate editor, allowing to edit it.

If this system doesn\'t work, you should ask your client to give you the \"source\" file og the graphic.

HTH

Marisa

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you not able to see the chart even in print preview? Mar 6, 2003

This is quite strange, but it does then not seem to be a Word problem.

What kind of graphics card are you using?

What version of Word?

Do you have the newest DirectX installed on your system?

What operating system?

There is at least one known issue with Word refusing to show graphics with certain graphics cards. I have had the problem myself within the following configuration:

Windows 2000 Pro, Word XP, Radeon VE (7000).
... See more
This is quite strange, but it does then not seem to be a Word problem.

What kind of graphics card are you using?

What version of Word?

Do you have the newest DirectX installed on your system?

What operating system?

There is at least one known issue with Word refusing to show graphics with certain graphics cards. I have had the problem myself within the following configuration:

Windows 2000 Pro, Word XP, Radeon VE (7000).

After I installed an upgrade driver from ATI Word lost its ability to show graphis properly. Following MS instructions I lowered the \"Hardware acceleration\" for my graphics adapter (right click on your desktop and then choose \"Properties\", go to \"Settings\" and hit the tab \"Advanced\" - then find hardware accelerazon - this is perhaps not the proper name, but you´ll find it, my OS is German).

But the best method is to install the newest card driver (I did it again, and the newestz ATI driver works fine) and all Service Packs and DirectX available.

Once again, this seems not to be an issue of Word, since you are able to print your chart.

Kind regards

Jerzy
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Not sure this is germane, but... Mar 6, 2003

I once had a customer call to ask about the graphic bit. \"What graphic bit,\" I replied. As it turns out, they may be there but you can\'t see them.

To see them (I\'m translating from my Italian versions of Word, so bear with me):

go to Instruments > Options.

Under \"Options for print preview and Web layout\" click the first box on the left, \"Drawings\" or something to that effect.

You should be able to see charts and graphs.

If they\'re text
... See more
I once had a customer call to ask about the graphic bit. \"What graphic bit,\" I replied. As it turns out, they may be there but you can\'t see them.

To see them (I\'m translating from my Italian versions of Word, so bear with me):

go to Instruments > Options.

Under \"Options for print preview and Web layout\" click the first box on the left, \"Drawings\" or something to that effect.

You should be able to see charts and graphs.

If they\'re text boxes or embedded Excel charts, you should be able to work on them with regular Office tools.

Hope this helps... from someone who learned the hard way!
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found it Mar 7, 2003

Thanks to all of you. With each little comment you all made I started poking around with it and discovered that I accidently had deleted the image as I translated. However, I still am having problems opening it for editing. I can\'t click on the \"object\" option under \"edit\" as it is not in black letters. Any ideas? Thanks!

Ed

Stéphan Goldsmith
Stéphan Goldsmith
Local time: 09:59
English to French
+ ...
Page mode Mar 7, 2003

Hi,

I know from experience, that sometimes graphics will not display in Normal mode but only when you are in Page mode.

It could be too that the graphic does not display as such in Word but rather as a field code indicating that an object (an Excel spreadsheet for example) has been embedded in the document.

If that should be the case, you can right-click on the field and select the option that will let you edit the chart in the pr
... See more
Hi,

I know from experience, that sometimes graphics will not display in Normal mode but only when you are in Page mode.

It could be too that the graphic does not display as such in Word but rather as a field code indicating that an object (an Excel spreadsheet for example) has been embedded in the document.

If that should be the case, you can right-click on the field and select the option that will let you edit the chart in the program it was created, as explained above in this forum.

Regards,

Stéphan
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You cannot edit it then Mar 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-07 02:22, Spani wrote:

Thanks to all of you. With each little comment you all made I started poking around with it and discovered that I accidently had deleted the image as I translated. However, I still am having problems opening it for editing. I can\'t click on the \"object\" option under \"edit\" as it is not in black letters. Any ideas? Thanks!

Ed

<... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-07 02:22, Spani wrote:

Ed

If the \"Edit\" option is displayed with grey letters it means, that you do not have the apropriate software to edit this chart on your PC. So the only way you can go is to put opaque text boxes over the descriptions and write your text in them.

The other possibility is to make a separate description in a new Word file or to ask the customer for an editable chart.

Best

Jerzy ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word and editing graphics

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »