How to remove duplicate entries in outlook tel.book
Thread poster: xxxBrandis
xxxBrandis
Local time: 04:50
English to German
+ ...
Jan 4, 2008

Hi! I hadn´t realized until today, that my outlook contacts file is rather thick and upon checking on it, I found there are multiple duplicate entries. Does anyone know a trick may be a macro that could rectify this. I have over 3000 contacts and I do not know how many duplicates. Brandis

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxlingua franc
Local time: 12:50
Chinese to English
+ ...
esay way and your own way... Jan 7, 2008

Hi,
Google "delete duplicate entries in outlook contact" gives you a few options using shareware, usually there is a cost involved. Or you can DIY and it's not hard provided you are not afraid of Excel.

In Outlook Contact, File ->Import/Export -> Export to a file -> Microsoft Excel (the computer may prompt you to install a plug in which is usually already on your computer or on the Windows disk. If you have neither, bad luck.)

Once that's done, open the file in Excel, do a sorting in the order of surname/first name/company. Select a blank column at the very end and click the 2nd row where the name starts in the list. For example. the surname of the first person is in cell A2, the surname of the second person is in A2 and the blank column you've selected is column Z, then click cell z2 and type this: =if(A2=A1, 1,0). This means if A2 and A1 is the same, then cell z2 will have a value of 1, otherwise it will have 0. With cell z2 still clicked, scroll down to the last row and in your case row 3000. Press "Shift" and click cell z3000 then press "Ctrl-D", you will notice column Z now has 1s and 0s

Once that's done, go to the top of the list and highlight all the columns including the one where 1s and 0s appear. With the whole list highlighted, click the tool bar "data"->"Filter"->"Auto filter". Now the top row of your list has in each column a square which when it is clicked, gives you a drop down menu. Ignore that. Go to column Z (or where 1s and 0s appear) and click the little square and select 1 from the list. As soon as you have done this, the whole list will change and display all the rows with 1s in the last column. These are your duplicated entries in the outlook. Highlight them, delete them.

Go to tool bar again, data->filter->auto filter, click, all the little squares now have disappeared. This is your new contact list without duplicated entries.

Import the list back into Outlook.

I am sure there is someone smart out there have a better solution but I have found this way rather therapeutic.

Good luck.

LF

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Try this... Jan 7, 2008

Brandis wrote:
Hi! I hadn´t realized until today, that my outlook contacts file is rather thick and upon checking on it, I found there are multiple duplicate entries. Does anyone know a trick may be a macro that could rectify this.

Hi Brandis,

I just did a major spring cleaning myself, so I've just researched this topic.

Some links to shareware plugins here:
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/contacts_dups.asp

This shootout was a big help in selecting the right tool:
http://www.office-addins.com/plugins-reviews/outlook-delete-duplicate-contacts/

I found Outlook Contacts Scrubber to be the best of the lot. I really loved the smooth intuitive process!

But try the others too, by all means...

/Jan

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you ... Jan 8, 2008

I am now trying all variants atleast in the test phase. How? I have exported all contacts in the present condition and install each plug-in and dedup, check results. Import the older contactsbase check the next plug-in. But from what I have read the mapi stuff seems to be compatible on the long run, it supports office 2007, exchange server etc., Thank you once again. Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to remove duplicate entries in outlook tel.book

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search