Thread poster: Subhan Fakhrizada

Subhan Fakhrizada  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:39
English to Pashto (Pushto)
+ ...
Jan 26, 2008

Dear colleagues,

An agency has supplied me with a PDF file, to be translated. They provided me with a Word file too, that was extracted from the PDF file.

The PDF file has 30 pages, consist of one large table with 4 columns. 3 of the columns are numbers only.

Now, the target language is written from right to left.

The word file i am supplied is very difficult to modify. actually, it is not in table format.
I need an application, or another way, to convert the PDF into Word, but the Word file should have the date in table format, so i do not have to type over all the numbers again.

Is there a way around? be the way, i do not have PDF professional and will not be able to get one so fast.

thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2008-01-26 20:56]

Direct link Reply with quote

pascie  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:39
English to French
+ ...
Docudesk Jan 26, 2008

It should maintain your table format.
It is really efficient.

Jelena Madunic  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 10:39
English to Croatian
+ ...
.pdf converter Jan 26, 2008

I use the following program for the conversion from .pdf to word Able2Doc and Able2Extract for other Office applications, they are available for 7 day free trial from: http://www.investintech.com/prod_options.htm
The limitation of the trial version is that it can convert only 3 pages at a time, so you would need to run the program ten times for 30 pages
There are more similar products available for evaluation http://www.cogniview.com/pdf2xl-converter.php, or http://www.pdftransformer.com/trial-version.
Nota bene, ABBYY software products have good reputation with the translators.
Good luck!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:39
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Adobe Acrobat 8.0 Jan 27, 2008

I use Adobe Acrobat 8.0 professional to convert PDF file into RTF (or Word) file through OCR Process.
Tables are extracted by Acrobat and in MS Word, I used Table > Convert >Convert text into table to complete with tabulation.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

Inn Vaaro
Estonia
Local time: 11:39
Finnish to Estonian
+ ...
Hi, Subhan Jan 27, 2008

A good tool to convert PDF into Word is Solid Converter. Very fast and reliable. Not free, but not expensive. Try!
Before you start translation, check formats and fonts.

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
Indeed they are! Jan 27, 2008

Jelena Madunic wrote:

Nota bene, ABBYY software products have good reputation with the translators.
Good luck!

Not expensive, can be bought online - I have been using them for a year now with various languages and I wouldn't be without them

Khalid Nasir
Iraq
English to Arabic
+ ...
Text file then Excel then Word Jan 27, 2008

Hi

I am not sure if it will work in your case. but i did that for many times for similar cases.
Save your file as text file, accessible from file menu, then copy the contents of text file ( numbers only or the whole text) into Excel, then to Word, just only be careful if some columns overlap into one another. if so back to text file and add or remove a tab before those overlapped numbers.

Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:39
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Thank you pascie Jan 27, 2008

pascie wrote:

It should maintain your table format.
It is really efficient.

I just bought and downloaded the Docudesk PDF unload version and it works perfectly with the 8-pages-PDF doc a direct customer sent me. It contains several graphics and tables.
Thanks for this great tip! The price (27€) is worth while, I think.

Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting a PDF into Word or Excel

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search