Unicode advise required
Thread poster: Levan Namoradze

Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 11:43
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Feb 2, 2008

Dear colleagues,
My problem is as follows: I got MS Word 2003. As soon as I switch to Georgian (by pushing "Alt+Shift" I switch to Georgian), there applies the font Sylfaen. For the purposes of current project, I need to apply the Arial. However, as soon as I start typing, it automatically switches back to the Sylfaen. Please, kindly advise how I can keep the Arial in such case.
Regards,
Levan

[Edited at 2008-02-02 08:37]


 

Bogdan Burghelea  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 09:43
English to German
+ ...
One possible explanation Feb 2, 2008

Levan Namoradze wrote:

Dear colleagues,
My problem is as follows: I got MS Word 2003. As soon as I switch to Georgian (by pushing "Alt+Shift" I switch to Georgian), there applies the font Sylfaen. For the purposes of current project, I need to apply the Arial. However, as soon as I start typing, it automatically switches back to the Sylfaen. Please, kindly advise how I can keep the Arial in such case.
Regards,
Levan

[Edited at 2008-02-02 08:37]


It could be because the "Detect the language automatically" function is enabled. To get rid of it, in Word, either double-click the small window that reads the selected language (by default "English (U. S.)", or go to the menu "Tools -> Language -> Set Language".

This will open a new smaller windows. The bottom of the window reads "Detect the language automatically", which you need to uncheck.


 

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:43
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Try to edit styles Feb 2, 2008

First, check the Normal (Обычный) style to see, if Sylfaen shows up for any option of that style (presumably, for complex writing). Change it accordingly.

 

Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 11:43
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did Feb 2, 2008

Following to your advise, I applied new style. However, as soon as I started typing in Georgian, it automatically went back to the Sylfaen.icon_frown.gif

 

Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 11:43
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more Feb 2, 2008

All the above happens only in MS Word. As for MS Excel, there is no problem there. I can freely type in Georgian using the Arial font.

 

Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 11:43
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did Feb 2, 2008

Bogdan Burghelea wrote:

Levan Namoradze wrote:

Dear colleagues,
My problem is as follows: I got MS Word 2003. As soon as I switch to Georgian (by pushing "Alt+Shift" I switch to Georgian), there applies the font Sylfaen. For the purposes of current project, I need to apply the Arial. However, as soon as I start typing, it automatically switches back to the Sylfaen. Please, kindly advise how I can keep the Arial in such case.
Regards,
Levan

[Edited at 2008-02-02 08:37]


It could be because the "Detect the language automatically" function is enabled. To get rid of it, in Word, either double-click the small window that reads the selected language (by default "English (U. S.)", or go to the menu "Tools -> Language -> Set Language".

This will open a new smaller windows. The bottom of the window reads "Detect the language automatically", which you need to uncheck.


I followed your advise, Bogdan, but the result is same.icon_frown.gif


 

Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 11:43
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well Feb 2, 2008

May be I miss any special "Arial Unicode" font? I got the "Arial" attached to MS Office 2003. Should I install some "Arial Unicode"?

 

tlmurray (X)
Local time: 02:43
English
Be wary of Arial Unicode Feb 2, 2008

Levan Namoradze wrote:

May be I miss any special "Arial Unicode" font? I got the "Arial" attached to MS Office 2003. Should I install some "Arial Unicode"?


Regular Arial won't work for Georgian. But Arial Unicode is problematic, and even Microsoft says use it only when absolutely necessary and you have nothing else. Personally I would look for an PostScript-based OpenType (extension is .otf).


 

Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 11:43
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see Feb 3, 2008

I see. I was requested to use that Arial by the Belgian client. Yesterday, I tried to learn more regarding the subject matter. However, I failed to get any good way out.icon_frown.gif

 

Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 11:43
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
The same encoding Feb 16, 2008

Arial and Sylfaen have the same encoding. I think the client asked to use Arial only for the encoding sake, e.g. to put the text on a website or to localize a software. Sylfaen will be seen correctly everywhere when Arial is chosen as a default font. You will never manage to show Arial instead of Sylfaen when typing with Georgian Unicode font in Word, but everything will be OK when copying the text from there. So feel free to use Sylfaen in Word and don't worry about this.

Sorry if I am late with my answer, but I noted this posing just now by a pure chance.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unicode advise required

Advanced search






SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search