Thread poster: Ralf Lemster

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:26
English to German
+ ...
Feb 7, 2008

Hi all,
I'm looking for a way to identify all the smart tags in a Word document (Word 2003) - does anyone know a quick way to do that?

(Background: a Word document containing smart tags created problems when it was uploaded into a CMS.)

MTIA - best regards,
Ralf

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Tools - Options - Save... Feb 7, 2008

and deselect "Embed Smart Tags". Resave the document - and I hope this will do the trick.
If the document does not contain conversion-sensitive content, saving as rtf should also completly remove all smart tags, as this format does not support them AFAIK.
Oterwise when opened and resaved as doc in Word with "Embed Smart Tags" activated, they might be regenerated again...

HTH
Best regards
Jerzy

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only part of the story, I'm afraid... Feb 7, 2008

Danke, Schorsch,
Jerzy Czopik wrote:

and deselect "Embed Smart Tags". Resave the document - and I hope this will do the trick.

Not quite...
Unfortunately, the Word doc was already imported into the CMS - if we just delete the smart tags, that would remove them, but we wouldn't know where the problems have occured in the web...

Thanks anyway!

LG Ralf

Christof Schneider  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:26
Member (2003)
English to German
possibly with a regex approach Apr 3, 2008

Hi,

I would really be interested in your solution if you found one. What I can add is that smarttags in flat text appear to look like this "\{smarttag}" (without quotation marks). Within the brackets all kind of stuff can happen (letters, numbers and other characters).

Basically what i would suggest (without having much skills around this) is to do a regular expression search on this on your document in flat format.

But please - if you found a solution around your issue I'd be very interested to know.

Thanks and regards
Christof

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to identify smart tags in a Word 2003 document

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search