Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 15:26
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Mar 3, 2008

I've just finished editing a translation, using the Track Changes function in Word (Office XP).

In Page view, deleted text is only marked in bubbles on the margin, while newly inserted text is displayed in the actual text in blue, with an underline. In Normal view, new text is in blue with an underline, and deleted text is also blue, with a strikethrough.

Now, the question is whether it's possible to display deleted text in red, and new text in blue? In Tools - Options
... See more
I've just finished editing a translation, using the Track Changes function in Word (Office XP).

In Page view, deleted text is only marked in bubbles on the margin, while newly inserted text is displayed in the actual text in blue, with an underline. In Normal view, new text is in blue with an underline, and deleted text is also blue, with a strikethrough.

Now, the question is whether it's possible to display deleted text in red, and new text in blue? In Tools - Options - Track Changes, I can only set the colour of new text, and deleted text seems to inherit the same colour by default.

As far as I remember, in earlier versions of Word it was possible to set different colours for deleted and new text, but now I cannot find this.

The client insists that I use different colours for deleted and new text.

I made a quick search, but so far I haven't found anything specific to this problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Csaba
Collapse

transleytan
transleytan  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
colors for "track changes" Mar 3, 2008

Hello Csaba. You should be able to set different colors for deleted and new text. In the In Tools - Options - Track Changes window, to the right you should see drop down boxes for Insertion color and Deletion color. I hope it works out. Good luck.
- Eytán

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:26
Russian to English
+ ...
Possible in Word 2003 Mar 3, 2008

You didn't say which version of Word you have. To find out, click on Help, then About Microsoft Office Word.

In the 2003 version, click on Tools, then Options, then select the Track Changes tab. You will get a window that lets you select the color separately for Insertions, Deletions, Formatting, and Changed Lines. I don't know if that is also true for other versions of Word.

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 15:26
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word 2002, SP-2 Mar 3, 2008

I also thought it should be possible, as I've been using this function ever since it was first introduced 10-15 years ago, and as far as I remember, it's been always possible to specify different colours.
For some reason, in this Word I'm using I can only specify the colour of newly inserted text.

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:26
Russian to English
+ ...
Things changed with Word 2002 Mar 4, 2008

I found this in a forum at this URL http://en.allexperts.com/q/Microsoft-Word-1058/track-changes-Word-2002.htm:

"An entirely new way of displaying revisions was introduced in Word 2002, and some aspects of it had not been very thoroughly thought out. You can select the formatting you want applied to insertions and formatting changes but not deletion
... See more
I found this in a forum at this URL http://en.allexperts.com/q/Microsoft-Word-1058/track-changes-Word-2002.htm:

"An entirely new way of displaying revisions was introduced in Word 2002, and some aspects of it had not been very thoroughly thought out. You can select the formatting you want applied to insertions and formatting changes but not deletions. Users howled, and formatting of deletions was added back in Word 2003, thank goodness!"

and this in a tutorial at http://continuinged.uml.edu/online/tutorial/word_trackingxp/#Tracking%20Changes%20While%20You%20Edit:

"Word automatically assigns unique colors to the first eight reviewers of a document. Word distinguishes among the different users according to the User Information tab."

A very cumbersome workaround would be to create different reviewers and use one name for additions and and a different one for deletions. Personally, I would be inclined to tell your client I just can't do it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing colours used for "track changes"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »