Adding tables from Word to Excel
Thread poster: Maria San Martin

Maria San Martin  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:44
German to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 10, 2008

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing a sort of nightmare while trying to copy and paste some tables from
Word into Excel.

These tables come originally from Excel, but I thought it would be more comfortable to
translate the table strip in Word and copy & paste it back into Excel.

The result happens to be a nightmare, because the tables WONT MATCH the original.

While both tables (original and target) look OK in Word, when I copy and paste them into Excel they won´t stick to their original segmentation.

Anyona has any idea on how I can fix this (reimport the tables from Windows) without
having to translate the whole thing again in Tageditor (my last hope chance!)???

Thanks everyone,

Maria

Direct link Reply with quote

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Same experience Mar 10, 2008

I had an ostensibly similar problem with a job a few weeks back; tables seemingly OK in Word refusing to drop back seamlessly into Excel after translation (in my case, using Wordfast)

The only solution I found, which I'm afraid won't be much help to you, was to copy the tables from Excel and then 'paste special' them into Word with RTF formatting only — that seemed to produce 'cleaner' tables in Word which went back into Excel pretty much OK; the only residual error was that if Excel cells contained manual line returns, these produced spurious table cells, which messed things up a bit in places.

I hope you find a better solution for your particular case!

(I wonder if it might work if you just changed the format to 'RTF' in Word before pasting back? But I rather fear not, as I think the problem arises at the earlier stage.)

[Edited at 2008-03-10 21:07]

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Word > Wordpad > Excel Mar 10, 2008

Adding an intermediate step of copying the table to Wordpad and only from there to Excel may solve the problem.
Another possibility is to open a new Excel file, and copy the table from Word to this one, and only afterwards to the target Excel file.
HTH
Attila

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
The biggest single problem I've found with this Mar 11, 2008

Table cells containing text that is spread over several paragraphs are a usual culprit when trying to copy tables into Excel. Any paragraph marks (or, if you want to get technical, any CR or LF character anywhere in the table) will cause Excel to assume that's where the cell ends.

There's no problem copying multiline table cells from Excel to Word, but vice-versa? No way, José.

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: FWIW, Excel tables can be translated quite conveniently in Trados TagEditor starting from version 6.5.5.

[Edited at 2008-03-11 14:58]

Maria San Martin  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Mar 11, 2008

Hello everyone,

finally, I wasn´t able to just copy & paste the whole document, however, I was
able to copy and paste the biggest cells by clicking on the line which appears on the
upper part of the document (instead of just trying to copying & pasting directly on the cell).

This has made the process much faster.

I think this problem should be fixed by the next Excel version, if they really want
to get a really comprehensive AND interchangeable software.

So, summing up, THANKS to all of you who have provided feedback on this thread.

All the best!

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
I did have a problem with this... Mar 11, 2008

tectranslate wrote:

There's no problem copying multiline table cells from Excel to Word...

I did actually find a problem with this, Ben.

If the XL cell contains manual CRs, this creates cell breaks in Word — so one XL line suddenly becomes several table rows (and to complicate matters, I think other cells behave as if merged)

So when you re-integrate, the lines can get out of step, and it's quite messy putting them right; of course, simple XLSs with no manual CRs won't suffer from this!

BTW, Wordfast also claims to be able to translate directly in XL, though I have to say I didn't find it terribly ergonomic for the particular XLS I happened to be working on — though working across 2 screens did make it a little better!

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Hmm... Mar 11, 2008

Tony M wrote:

tectranslate wrote:

There's no problem copying multiline table cells from Excel to Word...

I did actually find a problem with this, Ben.

If the XL cell contains manual CRs, this creates cell breaks in Word — so one XL line suddenly becomes several table rows (and to complicate matters, I think other cells behave as if merged)

Interesting - I tested that before posting and it worked really well, resulting in line breaks, not cell breaks. I'm using Word and Excel 2002 (XP), so maybe it's only a problem in specific versions of these programs. Or, of course, the tables you had those problems with may have had other features such as merged cells.

BTW, Wordfast also claims to be able to translate directly in XL, though I have to say I didn't find it terribly ergonomic for the particular XLS I happened to be working on — though working across 2 screens did make it a little better!

Yes, well, having the whole table handy as a printout or on a second screen for reference purposes makes sense.

Also, unfortunately, many writers get terribly creative and completely and utterly destroy any logical sequence that may be in the text by spreading it over various cells just so it looks good - and no CAT tool can cope with that. Can't be helped, I'm afraid.

Regards,
B

[Edited at 2008-03-11 15:18]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding tables from Word to Excel

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search