Omega T - using excel glossaries
Thread poster: Karen Roos

Karen Roos  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:09
Italian to English
Aug 13, 2009

I have just about got off the mark with Omega and can load the source file to translate, but am having difficulty with glossaries. I can write a glossary (tab separated text file etc) which works fine and have downloaded OpenOffice but I am sent huge glossaries in excel by one agency and cannot for the life of me seem to get them working. I tried copying and saving just the 2 columns I need into a word doc then opening with OpenOffice and saving as a .utf8 (with unchecked auto extension and checked filter options, then ASCII filter options as Unicode 8 just as I think I should) but still they do not appear. I've put them in the glossary file of the project of course. 3 whole days I have been at this. I think I am about to lose my marbles.
Any ideas anyone..? Please..? Help much appreciated.
Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Open with OpenOffice Calc Aug 13, 2009

Can you open the glossaries with OpenOffice Calc?

If you can, can you get the terms in two columns, preferably A and B?

If so, save the Calc file as text CSV from the drop down list of file formats. Keep current format when it asks (not "Save in ODF format"). Select {tab} as the "Field delimiter" and delete the "Text delimiter" (block it with your mouse and hit the "Delete" key on your computer keyboard). In the file folder where you have now saved the file, change the extension to .utf8. I think it should now be usable in OmegaT.

Otherwise try saving the file as a CSV with Excel.

Karen Roos  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Robert Aug 28, 2009

Hi Robert
I did eventually work it out, but your input was helpful. Yes, I think the problem was I didn't have the source and target words in columns and A and B before saving as a text file, but finally I am up and running. Many thanks!
Best wishes, Karen.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Omega T - using excel glossaries

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search