displaying Japanese fonts
Thread poster: kamawanai

kamawanai
Local time: 05:51
Japanese to Polish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2009

I have a problem with displaying japanese fonts in OmegaT-2.0.5 version for linux (I've downloaded package without JRE since I have it installed already).
I'm running ubuntu 9.04 32bit and I don't have any problems with displaying japanese fonts in browser or in any other program (including java apps). It's not only a problem with the files I import or load, I can't use japanese in any program's window (file's name for example).
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-18 18:08 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Check the JRE and the font Oct 19, 2009

kamawanai wrote:

I have a problem with displaying japanese fonts in OmegaT-2.0.5 version for linux (I've
downloaded package without JRE since I have it installed already).

If you're not 100% sure the JRE you are using is Sun's JRE, you should try first the package with JRE.

I'm running ubuntu 9.04 32bit and I don't have any problems with displaying japanese fonts in browser or in any other program (including java apps). It's not only a problem with the files I import or load, I can't use japanese in any program's window (file's name for example).
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-18 18:08 GMT]

Are you sure the font you use (in OmegaT) contains Japanese characters? It should not normally affect file names, but that's another thing to check.
Also, if you run OmegaT in Japanese (java -jar -Duser.language=ja OmegaT.jar), do the menus display correctly?

Didier

kamawanai
Japanese to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution for now: the older version Oct 22, 2009

Thanks for the reply:)
When I run OmegaT in Japanese, only the menus display correctly, source files dont display the right fonts. I've downloaded the older version (1.8) and everything there works just fine, so for now I'm going to use that one.
That's no real solution though, so I'm looking forward to hearing some other ideas.. Or maybe it's a bug that should be reported to the program developers?

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
How about the JRE? Oct 24, 2009

kamawanai wrote:
When I run OmegaT in Japanese, only the menus display correctly, source files dont display the right fonts. I've downloaded the older version (1.8) and everything there works just fine, so for now I'm going to use that one.
That's no real solution though, so I'm looking forward to hearing some other ideas.

You didn't answer my question:
Have you tried the new version with "Java included"?

Or maybe it's a bug that should be reported to the program developers?

As we do not have other reports, I doubt there's much we can do from within OmegaT (in case that's not obvious, I am one of the program developers). I recommend asking for help in the OmegaT Yahoo support group. There are more likely Ubuntu users in that group. You could try also the Linux for Translators group (also in Yahoo).

Didier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

displaying Japanese fonts

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search