making a glossary without OpenOffice?
Thread poster: Jennifer Barnett

Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:39
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 9, 2010

I have Mac OS X 10.5.8 Snow Leopard, MS Office 2004 and OpenOffice 2.4.1 and OmegaT.

Having just opted for OmegaT as 'my first CAT tool', I have been struggling with Open Office. Have tried ALL the OpenOffice versions but none install completely, if at all. By that, I mean that the bar menu contains only 'file' and 'edit' options and there is no sign of any functions like 'Write' which is of course, the whole point of downloading it. Then there's the slow twitching turning of the gothic beachballl thing... Have searched the OpenOffice user forum but couldn't find the exact problem, only 'it works on some Macs but not on others'. I've just posted this problem there in more detail. Don't have much hope.

I can get by with .txt for converting files for OmegaT but need OpOff (mainly Off!) for making glossaries - or do I? Is there another way?

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:39
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
partial answer Mar 9, 2010

Others know more, and I don't know anything about MACs, but:

--you don't need OOo to make a glossary. Any text editor will do. Just save it with the extension .utf8 and make it a tab-delimited text file. See the OmegaT manual. Follow the instructions exactly, and it will work fine!

--your version of OOo is very old, 2.4.1. The newest version is 3.2.

Good luck. If you don't get a suitable answer here, post to the OmegaT users forum on yahoo, http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
OOo 3 or NeoOffice Mar 9, 2010

OpenOffice.org 3+ should normally function under Mac; the application is now directly ported, not with X11 accessory in Mac any more.
You should clean all folders and files that lead to your ex-application of OOo. Go into the root dir, the one you see on the very top of the Finder, and open the HD icon, then search for Openoffice.org.

Another more fluid suite, very similar to OpenOffice, that was and is a good on-going project, is NeoOffice. Very fluid and nice application. You will be able to open and create all the typical formats, like in OpenOffice.org. Probably some of the extensions for OpenOfice, or none of them, are not installable into it, but I am not sure about this.

As for glossaries for OmegaT, you should create them or in *.txt format under plain ASCII encoding for western languages, or better in *txt format encoded under utf-8 format and renamed into *.utf8 file. In this way, even if you do work with western languages, your glossaries might preserve some terms written in all other languages. Remember that the unicoded txt glossary file, has to have the extension renamed into utf8 - make the glossary as txt utf-8 encoded file, and then manually rename the extension of it, into *.utf8 (no dash in between).
The best way to ensure the tabbed columns (max 3 of them) for OmegaT, is to create glossaries in spreadsheet application and save the file as *.csv, always txt utf-8 encoded. If you wish so. Then you can continue adding new terms into glossaries, remembering always to hit tab for separator.

Dragomir

Jennifer Barnett wrote:

I have Mac OS X 10.5.8 Snow Leopard, MS Office 2004 and OpenOffice 2.4.1 and OmegaT.

[Edited at 2010-03-09 16:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-09 16:59 GMT]

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Backed Mar 9, 2010

Susan Welsh wrote:

you don't need OOo to make a glossary. Any text editor will do. Just save it with the extension .utf8 and make it a tab-delimited text file. See the OmegaT manual. Follow the instructions exactly, and it will work fine!

Indeed. Obviously, you only want to rename the file to .utf8 if it is actually encoded in utf-8. Use MS Word or the mac text editor, whatever it's called (textedit?). I'd make the glossary in Excel and copy/paste to the text editor (the spreadsheet format is more human readable). You can probably even save as tab delimited txt right from Excel if you want to.

Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
no textedit Mar 9, 2010

... it won't permit a correct working with various encodings, at all.

MS Word, OOo, NeoOffice, jEdit, Simredo, AquaMacs, AD Viewer by Apple...icon_smile.gif

FarkasAndras wrote:

whatever it's called (textedit?).

France
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
utf-16 instead of utf8 Mar 9, 2010

Thank you all for your help. BTW, I have Leopard, not Snow Leopard and an iMac, so intel not PPC.

OOo 3 versions do not work: error message of 'incorrect architecture'.

Under TextEdit, there is no choice for utf8, only utf16. As I understand it, all I have to do is manually rename the extension to utf8? But Dragomire says that TextEdit won't work anyhow so I'll have a go with WS Word (also only offers utf-16).

Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
ok for TextEdit then Mar 9, 2010

but in preferences set it to txt only.
for new doc, set encoding to utf-8.
for open and save, set also utf-8.

that all means you should always take care that some external document, opened in TextEdit, should be in utf-8.

remaining for all this work withing TextEdit, maybe all be fine. I stopped using it, for this manual setting that I had to adjust, and had always to take max. care with it.

P.S. Yes, Ms Office 2004 for Mac, saves text as UTf-16BE as default. While its brother on Windows, uses default UTF-16LE. Go figure!

That message about incorrect architecture might derive from the messed up post-install situation after Ooo 2.4.1. Since it was made differently. Most possibly you have some Java "tails" of some 1.4 series or similar.
On Mac Leopard you should check your Java version, it should be 1.6. and try to reinstall it, downloading from Apple.com downloads. And of course, if choosing OOo 3 from OpenOffice site, take Intel version for Mac only.

Dragomir

Jennifer Barnett wrote:

Thank you all for your help. BTW, I have Leopard, not Snow Leopard and an iMac, so intel not PPC.

OOo 3 versions do not work: error message of 'incorrect architecture'.

Under TextEdit, there is no choice for utf8, only utf16. As I understand it, all I have to do is manually rename the extension to utf8? But Dragomire says that TextEdit won't work anyhow so I'll have a go with WS Word (also only offers utf-16).

[Edited at 2010-03-09 21:31 GMT]

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How can it be? Mar 9, 2010

Seriously, textedit does not allow you to save txt files in what is without doubt the most important and widely used "international" encoding, UTF-8? What were they thinking?

France
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OpenOffice installation problem solved, thus glossary problem too Mar 10, 2010

From the OOo user forum I have learned that iMac can be either intel or PCC. Turns out I have an iMac PPC!

Thank you Dragomir for the Java advice. Using www.javatester.org/versions.html, my version was instantly identified and indeed it was not the latest version. Fixed that.

I have just downloaded Open Office.org 3.2.0 and it opened perfectly.

I guess the main problem was choosing the wrong system version to download.

Thank you everyone for your time and effort. All the information was useful and educational.

[Edited at 2010-03-10 16:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-10 16:08 GMT]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
creating a dictionary should be much simpler... Apr 26, 2010

... and should be possible without OOo.org. After all, it is just tab-delimited entries.

Partly it´s the documentation (the #1 culpable speaking) and I will take care it gets improved, also for MACs.

Regards

Vito

France
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But can this dictionary be used by OmegaT? Apr 26, 2010

Thank you Vito. But could this dictionary be used with OmegaT?

The panic is now over. Since starting this post, I have been happily using OmegaT every day and building glossaries in Oo.Org which are working well in OmegaT.

Yes indeed, the manual is difficult but it is a common problem. The people who write manuals often find it difficult to write explicitly so that less computer literate people can fully understand what and why. I would be happy to help review the English for non-English native speakers writing the OmegaT manual. I have a lot of experience writing teaching material.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
if you could help us with documentation would be great... Apr 26, 2010

Jennifer Barnett wrote:
Thank you Vito. But could this dictionary be used with OmegaT?

well, that´s my intention. I would definitely hesitate to suggest anything that could not be used with OmegaT;).
Yes indeed, the manual is difficult but it is a common problem ... I would be happy to help review the English for non-English native speakers writing the OmegaT manual. I have a lot of experience writing teaching material.

Would you really? The documentation would for sure benefit from a technically oriented proofreader, who´s a native speaker of English. Also, at least the introductory parts should be edited and made "less difficult".

So ... when could you start (g)?

Regards and send me a private mail whatever your answer.

Vito

[Edited at 2010-04-26 19:59 GMT]

France
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
your dictionary for OmegaT Apr 27, 2010

Sorry to offend Vito!

Vito wrote [well, that´s my intention. I would definitely hesitate to suggest anything that could not be used with OmegaT;).]

I did not know that you were an actual OmegaT person. So of course it would be for OmegaT. I made that response because it happens a lot in these forums that people (me included) make suggestions without having understood the whole question.

I have send you a mail about helping with the OmegaT documentation.

Thanks again!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

making a glossary without OpenOffice?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search