Mac OS: how to access the dictionary in OmegaT via Services
Thread poster: Jennifer Barnett

Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apr 2, 2010

I have OmegaT 3.2.0 Eng-GB running on Mac OS X 10.5.8.

In the OmegaT manual under the heading of 'Mac OSX Goodies', it states that 'you can select a word anywhere in OmegaT and use the Services to check that word in your services providing dictionary applications, in Spotlight or in Google.' When I try this, the mac dictionary pane appears but instead of the selected word appearing in the search field, the entire file route to it is given.

Is it possible to correct this simply or will I have to create a special script?

Jean-Christophe Helary
Japan
Local time: 01:50
Japanese to French
+ ...
Services and OmegaT Apr 2, 2010

Jennifer,

Back to the future... OmegaT version 3.2.0 is not likely to be released before a couple of years, so you must be using 2.0.3 ?

In any case, I am to one who wrote that part of the manual and the only think I can say is that, well, things work as expected on my machine.

Have you checked that behavior in other applications ? Like TextEdit for example ?
If not yet, then give that try and if you are successful reproduce exactly the same process in OmegaT.

Jean-Christophe

Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mac services and OmegaT Apr 2, 2010

ooops!
That is my OpenOffice.org version. It is indeed OmegaT 2.0.5.. How great to be able to discuss this with the writer!

Yes it works in TextEdit. And now I see why it didn't work for me. I went to the Mac Finder and accessed the Services from there, not the Services in the OmegaT menu. You see, I've never used the Services feature before. So thank you, John Christophe!

And while I have your attention as the writer, to me this is a typical problem of interpretation caused by the text being somewhat implicit. You didn't say explicitly, 'use the Omega Services'. I often have these misunderstandings with digital stuff because, IMHO, many IT people who write manuals forget that their audience are not always IT savvy. In short, too often much is written about what an application can do, but less effort is spent in describing step by step exactly how to do all these wonderfully clever things. The extra time/effort required in improving the manual would save people like me having to ask people like you questions so often and wasting your time. Like many, many people, I did not choose to use a computer for my work, like IT people have done, it was forced upon me by a technological development which is more or less compulsory.

Having said that, I am very grateful for the time and effort people like yourself have put into developing OmegaT and Open Office. In fact, I would be happy to help improve the text of the OmegaT manual as a contribution to the project.

[Edited at 2010-04-02 14:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-02 14:13 GMT]

Jean-Christophe Helary
Japan
Local time: 01:50
Japanese to French
+ ...
Services and OmegaT Apr 2, 2010

Jennifer,

I am not an IT person. I am a user like you who decided to contribute to the manual.

As far as the OSX Services are concerned, I did not describe them more than that because there is plenty of literature on the subject already.

But now, you know one more thing: the "look up in Dictionary" service takes its input from the foremost application.

And, yes, if you want to help with making the manual more understandable to new users, please do so.

Cheers,

Jean-Christophe

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
CocoAspell as well - as an addition Apr 3, 2010

Jennifer,

CocoAspell might be a supplement for some languages not included in Mac OSX system spelling checkers. After installation, its icon is placed in Preference panel and spelling packs can be added into it.

http://people.ict.usc.edu/~leuski/cocoaspell/

Dragomir

Jennifer Barnett wrote:

Yes it works in TextEdit. ...

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Mac OS: how to access the dictionary in OmegaT via Services

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search