Jennifer Barnett
Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:47
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 7, 2010

I have happily used OmegaT for the last 6 months but today a problem has arisen. When I try to start a new project, the only location choice for selecting the desired file is the hard disk. When I try to scroll down the hard disk contents to my home folder, it freezes. A forced quit is the only way out. I also tried placing the new file in the hard disk contents but the freezing prevents access.

With the previous project, this restriction to the hard disk also occurred but by placin
... See more
I have happily used OmegaT for the last 6 months but today a problem has arisen. When I try to start a new project, the only location choice for selecting the desired file is the hard disk. When I try to scroll down the hard disk contents to my home folder, it freezes. A forced quit is the only way out. I also tried placing the new file in the hard disk contents but the freezing prevents access.

With the previous project, this restriction to the hard disk also occurred but by placing the desired file on the hard disk, I was able to select it and get going. No freezing took place then so it seems to be a problem that 'developed'.

I can't find anything relevant on the Yahoo Omegat support group.

Any ideas?
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:47
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
For starters, Sep 7, 2010

What is the file format?

Jennifer Barnett
France
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
file format .odt Sep 7, 2010

The file format is .odt (OpenOffice)

I have worked around the problem now by placing the desired file at the top of the hard disk contents list. While effective, this does not of course solve the original problem. It is still impossible to scroll down the contents list.

Oh yes, I use Mac OS X 10.5.8.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:47
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oh, it’s a Mac… Sep 7, 2010

Well, this might be something Mac-specific, dunno. But did you try manually copying your file to the /source subdirectory of the project?

Jennifer Barnett
France
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could not get that far Sep 7, 2010

I was trying to START a new project therefore there was no project to fiddle with.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Just create the project, and quit Sep 7, 2010

Jennifer Barnett wrote:
I was trying to START a new project therefore there was no project to fiddle with.

What happens if you just create the project, then quit, without using Import source files?

Didier

Jennifer Barnett
France
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that sort of happened accidently Sep 7, 2010

with one of my attempts but then I still couldn't load the source file because of the freezing. I work round it by placing the odt/Omega project files at the top of the content list so that scrolling isn't necessary.

Since this problem started, the possibility to select a file in any other other part of the system, except for the hard disk, has ceased. OmegaT can no longer see the desktop or any archive.

Oleksandr Myslivets
Oleksandr Myslivets  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
My two cents Sep 7, 2010

Well, try to copy and rename the previous successful project, delete in the project's folder all the TMXs, everything in the 'omegat' subdirectory and in the 'source' and 'target' subdirectories. Then manually copy Ur source file to the 'source' directory. Then tell us the result, please.
It also will be great to know what OmT and Java U are using...

Jean-Christophe Helary
Jean-Christophe Helary
Japan
Local time: 20:47
Japanese to French
+ ...
OmegaT preferences ? Sep 8, 2010

So, you are using a Mac.

Do you use the Mac version of OmegaT (OmegaT.app) or the generic version (OmegaT.jar) ?

Which version do you use ? And where is it located ? I am assuming that you use the latest "stable" version (2.0.5) and that you have put it in the main "Applications" folder.

Ok, for the trouble shooting, there are a number of standard things that you should do on Macs.

The first is to login on a different account. You can try the "
... See more
So, you are using a Mac.

Do you use the Mac version of OmegaT (OmegaT.app) or the generic version (OmegaT.jar) ?

Which version do you use ? And where is it located ? I am assuming that you use the latest "stable" version (2.0.5) and that you have put it in the main "Applications" folder.

Ok, for the trouble shooting, there are a number of standard things that you should do on Macs.

The first is to login on a different account. You can try the "standard" Guest account. You many need to activate the Guest account function from the System Preferences.

Since OmegaT is in the main Applications folder it should be available from that account too. Launch it there and see if you can reproduce the problem.

1) Yes you can -> there is a system wide issue, maybe related to Java
2) No you can't -> there is an account specific issue, possibly related to the OmegaT bundle

I'm assuming that you did not fiddle with the system so we'll first see the 2nd possibility.

Go back to your account and do the following:
- ensure that OmegaT is not launched
- go to your personal Library/Preferences/ folder
- you'll find an OmegaT folder there
- rename it "OmegaT_old" or something like that
- restart OmegaT

Same problem ?

No -> fixed ! Just set your preferences again from OmegaT and proceed.
Yes -> quit OmegaT again. Throw it away and download the latest version, try again

If the issue seem to be system-wide (ie if the Guest account shows the same behavior) then there may be a bigger problem.

- Run Software Update (from the Apple menu, top-left of your machine) and install all the Java related upgrades, try again. If that fixes the problem, good, if not proceed:
- Throw OmegaT away as above, download the newest version and try again. If that fixes the problem, good, if not proceed:
- I'm assuming you run the OmegaT.app version. Right click on the application and select "Show Package Contents". Another Finder window opens with a "Contents" folder. Enter the folder, then the MacOS folder and double-click on the JavaApplicationStub file that should be there. You'll see the Terminal.app application that opens and various messages popping up. Simultaneously, OmegaT should start. Use OmegaT and try to reproduce the problem. While you do that many more messages should be displayed. Confirm that the problem is not gone and stop OmegaT. The Terminal.app should have lots of messages related to OmegaT. From Terminal.app, use Cmd+S to save the output and either send it to me, Didier, or post it somewhere so that we can see it.

I do hope though that you'll be able to fix the thing with the first steps I indicated.

Jean-Christophe Helary
Collapse

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
do some hd maintenance Sep 8, 2010

Hello Jennifer,

under "maintenance" I mean: permits, scripts, cache cleaning and similar. In your case, some script maintenance (defragmentation), might be necessary.

A very good and established tool is Onyx http://www.titanium.free.fr/ Take the version for your OS.

After install, do script maintenance only, skip all the rest.

Dragomir

Jennifer Barnett wrote:

With the previous project, this restriction to the hard disk also occurred but by placing the desired file on the hard disk, I was able to select it and get going. No freezing took place then so it seems to be a problem that 'developed'.

I can't find anything relevant on the Yahoo Omegat support group.

Any ideas?

Jennifer Barnett
France
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all the suggestions Sep 9, 2010

Thanks so much for the extensive help - I really appreciate the effort.

Sorry about my delay in responding but after thunder storms I have been without electricity for a while and then internet for nearly 24 hours so have work to catch up on. So for the time being I have no time to spend fixing it but will get back to the forum when I do. Luckily, for the rest it's working OK!

freddy7
freddy7  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
reinstall Sep 10, 2010

I agree with Jean-Chirstophe.

To some point of weird behavior, deinstall and reinstall should fix the problem.

If it doesn't, the pb may be related to your hard-disk. Just in case, backup all your important data!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT freezes at 'import source file'

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »