Converting OmegaT glossary file to Multiterm format
Thread poster: Michael Mestre

Michael Mestre
France
Local time: 19:08
English to French
+ ...
Oct 14, 2012

I was wondering if there was a simple way to convert a (plain-text) OmegaT glossary file to an SDL Multiterm format ?
(please note that I own Multiterm 5.5, which can apparently only import plain-text files).

I thought that it was enough to try and import the OmegaT glossary file in multiterm directly, but this failed.
What is the solution to this problem ? Shall I try and convert my glossary file to a CSV format first ?

Thank you !

Direct link Reply with quote

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:08
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
OmegaT glossaries are TSV Oct 15, 2012

Michael Mestre wrote:

I was wondering if there was a simple way to convert a (plain-text) OmegaT glossary file to an SDL Multiterm format ?
(please note that I own Multiterm 5.5, which can apparently only import plain-text files).

OmegaT glossaries are plain-text files.

I thought that it was enough to try and import the OmegaT glossary file in multiterm directly, but this failed.
What is the solution to this problem ?

You might have more luck in a Trados support forum.

Shall I try and convert my glossary file to a CSV format first ?

If the OmegaT glossary was created directly from OmegaT, it is in a tab separated value format, which is rather trivial to convert to CSV, using OpenOffice or Excel. Otherwise, the glossary can be already in CSV.

Didier

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:08
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Try converting to UTF-16 Oct 15, 2012

Michael Mestre wrote:

Can it? Then you definitely should refer to the user manual for details or ask in the Trados support forum. You know, we here deal with OmegaT issues mainly, not with bugs of other programs. The only wild guess is that MT does not import text files in UTF-8. Try saving the glossary to UTF-16LE.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Converting OmegaT glossary file to Multiterm format

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search