Thread poster: Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:31
English to French
+ ...
Aug 16, 2013

Hi there,

I would like to know if there's a workaround to fix up split segments, I'm translating a Power Point Presentation and in the English version "Sales channels" is split over 2 segments/lines. As the word order is different in French, it would end up as "Réseau de ventes" meaning that Sales would be considered as "Réseau" and channels as "de ventes" which would mess up the TM for any further occurrences of the same string and would be plain wrong anyway.

In St
... See more
Hi there,

I would like to know if there's a workaround to fix up split segments, I'm translating a Power Point Presentation and in the English version "Sales channels" is split over 2 segments/lines. As the word order is different in French, it would end up as "Réseau de ventes" meaning that Sales would be considered as "Réseau" and channels as "de ventes" which would mess up the TM for any further occurrences of the same string and would be plain wrong anyway.

In Studio 2011, I've used a pretty "unclean" workaround, i.e., edit the source segment and added channel to the Sales segment and locked the second one, that is empty.

Any cleaner way to fix the issue in OmegaT?

Thanks,

Bernard
Collapse

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:31
Russian to English
+ ...
It's frustrating Aug 16, 2013

I assume you're familiar with OmegaT's Segmentation Rules feature. If not, it's covered in the manual. I suspect it wouldn't help in this case, anyway, since there's nothing like an abbreviation ending in a period that would trigger the splitting of "Sales Channels" into two different segments. Are the two words a title on separate lines separated by a hard carriage return, perhaps? If so -- and if the term is repeated enough to matter and not split elsewhere -- pre-editing is probably your best... See more
I assume you're familiar with OmegaT's Segmentation Rules feature. If not, it's covered in the manual. I suspect it wouldn't help in this case, anyway, since there's nothing like an abbreviation ending in a period that would trigger the splitting of "Sales Channels" into two different segments. Are the two words a title on separate lines separated by a hard carriage return, perhaps? If so -- and if the term is repeated enough to matter and not split elsewhere -- pre-editing is probably your best option.

If pre-editing is too laborious and time consuming, here's what I do. I mark the first segment ("Sales," in this case) as empty and cram the translation of the entire term ("Réseau de ventes") into the second segment. It's not ideal, but it's quick.

I do wish the OmegaT coders would give us a way to combine and split segments on the fly, though...

[Edited at 2013-08-16 23:27 GMT]
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:31
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Aug 17, 2013

Hi James,

... would be too tedious to edit the source file (86 slides).

Thanks for your input,

Bernard

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Split Segments

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »