Thread poster: Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha
Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha
Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:08
English to Indonesian
Sep 9, 2013

Dear colleagues,

This is the first time I'm using Omega T and while I'm getting the hang of it there's one thing that bothers me: how to update the TM? I thought that if I confirm a segment (ctrl+U) the tmx file gets automatically updated but then I checked the tm folder and the file was still in its original form (no change in the "date modified" data). So, how do you update a TM file in Omega T?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Aditya Sep 9, 2013

Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha wrote:
I thought that if I confirm a segment (ctrl+U)...

In OmegaT, segments don't have status. A segment is either translated or untranslated. If the segment is empty, it is untranslated, and if it contains anything, then it is translated.

Ctrl+U does not "confirm a segment". Ctrl+U moves to the next untranslated segment. This means that (as you had assumed, despite using the wrong terminology) when you press Ctrl+U, the segment is added to the TM.

However... the "TM" you're looking for is not in the /tm/ folder. The /tm/ folder is the folder where you place your old TMs before you start the translation. The TM that is being created while you translate the files is not saved in the /tm/ folder.

So... where is the TM you're looking for? It is in two places: it is in a file called "project_save.tmx" inside the /omegat/ folder (but usually you should not use that TM because it is a temporary one), and it will appear in the root folder of your project folder whenever you press Ctrl+D.

Ctrl+D means "create target files", but that action also creates the latest version of the TM that contains all translated segments that are in the target files.

OmegaT does not offer a way to update an existing TM with segments that you add during your current translation. OmegaT can read an existing TM and use it, but OmegaT then creates a new TM that contains only the segments that were present in the translated files. If you want to end up with a TM that contains both your existing segments and the segments that you translated in the project, then you have to use a TMX merger program to merge the output TMX file with your old TMX file... which is rather unfortunate, because now you have to google for a program that does that.

Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha
Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:08
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
Nice Sep 9, 2013

Clear and detailed, thank you!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to update TM?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »