I can't open files on OmegaT
Thread poster: ignacio33
ignacio33
Chile
Jan 28, 2014

Hi my name is ignacio. I´m new on cat tools. I´ve downloaded omega t because it is free but I can´t open files to translate. when I look for a file to open nothing appears. I´ve already tried with open office and it doesn´t work either. What should I do? help please.

[Edited at 2014-01-28 16:51 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:02
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
What did you do so far? Jan 28, 2014

There's a tutorial for CAT beginners on the OmegaT website, and there's a much longer user's manual.
Did you follow either one of those?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ignacio Jan 28, 2014

ignacio33 wrote:
I can't open files to translate. When I look for a file to open, nothing appears. I've already tried with OpenOffice and it doesn't work either.

I'm guessing that you're using the menu item Project > Open, and that you're then expecting to be able to see the file that you want to translate in that dialog, is that correct?

Well, OmegaT uses the word "project" to refer to a folder where it stores various files related to your translation. In other words, the file that you want to translate isn't called the "project". The "project" is a folder with subfolders. This explains why you can't see any files in the Project > Open dialog, because the Project > Open dialog is looking for a folder, not a file.

To translate a file in OmegaT, you must first create a project (which is a special kind of folder), and then add the file that you want to translate to that folder.

Was this your problem?

Samuel

Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2011)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Manual Jan 29, 2014

Hi Ignacio,

Here is the direct link to the manual:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/files/OmegaT%20-%20Standard/OmegaT%202.6.3%20update%207/OmegaT_documentation_en.PDF/download

and the link for a quick start:

http://www.omegat.org/fr/tutorial/OmegaT%20for%20Beginners.pdf (thanx Susan! )

Hope it helps!

ignacio33
Chile
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved. Jan 29, 2014

I have solved the problem. Thanks everyone for the quick response.

[Edited at 2014-01-29 14:34 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What was the problem? Jan 30, 2014

ignacio33 wrote:
I have solved the problem. Thanks everyone for the quick response.

Can you tell us what the problem was, and how you solved it?

Davidrainey
Australia
i am also facing the same problem...!! Jan 30, 2014

I am also facing the same problem, just downloaded the version Omega T 3.0.5 version and I am not able to open the xml file in it. I remember that about a week or two ago I was able to open one in the version 2.6.3 but finally I did not get that job so I did not continue working on that. I think I missed something but cannot figure out what. Maybe someone can help me?

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@David Jan 30, 2014

Davidrainey wrote:
I am also facing the same problem.

If it is the same problem, try the solution that I gave earlier in this thread. Does it work?

I just downloaded the version Omega T 3.0.5 version and I am not able to open the xml file in it. I remember that about a week or two ago I was able to open one in the version 2.6.3.

What is the file extension of your XML file? Or rather: what kind of an XML file is it? What program does the XML file open in if you double-click it?

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

I can't open files on OmegaT

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search