Spaces removed in .properties files
Thread poster: Jan Cerny

Jan Cerny
Austria
May 8, 2015

Hi,

when I translate .properties files, OmegaT removes spaces which are not part of the translatable file content.

E.g. in the source language file a line would look like this:

category = Documents

"Documents" here is the content that needs to be translated. OmegaT can correctly interpret this and lets me translate this segment.

In the target language file the line will then look like this:

category= Dokumente

Can I somehow prevent OmegaT from removing the space(s)?

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:19
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
From Java point of view, it makes no difference May 8, 2015

Jan Cerny wrote:

when I translate .properties files, OmegaT removes spaces which are not part of the translatable file content.

E.g. in the source language file a line would look like this:

category = Documents

"Documents" here is the content that needs to be translated. OmegaT can correctly interpret this and lets me translate this segment.

In the target language file the line will then look like this:

category= Dokumente

If the document is a real .properties, which is made to be read by a Java program, the missing space will make no difference at all.

Can I somehow prevent OmegaT from removing the space(s)?

If you use the Key=value filter, for instance by renaming the extension to .ini, the space will be kept. But, in that case, a number of specific things for .properties files will not be done (conversion of Unicode characters to \uxxxx, etc.).

Didier

Jan Cerny
Austria
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 11, 2015

Hi,

thanks for again helping me Didier. Using the Key=value filter instead of the Java resource bundles filter seems to solve my problem.

You are of course right that the spaces make no functional difference. However, ideally I do not want OmegaT to change files where nothing had to be translated. This is because comparisons between sets of translated files are run with diff tools. Also, thus I can keep the previous formatting which is easier to read for humans.

[Edited at 2015-05-11 07:05 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Spaces removed in .properties files

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search