OmegaT and tmx files exported from Trados
Thread poster: Hermione
Hermione
Hermione
Local time: 23:46
Italian to German
+ ...
Jan 27, 2005

I have just started looking at OmegaT. The documentation says that you can use translation memories in tmx format (level 1). I have tried to export TRADOS (5.5) memories to tmx (claims to be tmx version 1.1, but get an error message (not a valid xml file) in OmegaT. Has anyone experienced this as well? Is the Trados txm format not compatible?

TIA
Hermione

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes. Jan 27, 2005

Hello Hermione,

the problem with Trados TMX files is that they are in UTF-16. However, OmT can handle only UTF-8 TMX files.

What you will need to do is find a text editor that is capable of converting a file into another encoding, such as SH Unipad, Simredo, etc.

Unfortunately, Notepad (under Windows) and OpenOffice.org create TMX files that OmT can't read.

HTH.

Sonja...
See more
Hello Hermione,

the problem with Trados TMX files is that they are in UTF-16. However, OmT can handle only UTF-8 TMX files.

What you will need to do is find a text editor that is capable of converting a file into another encoding, such as SH Unipad, Simredo, etc.

Unfortunately, Notepad (under Windows) and OpenOffice.org create TMX files that OmT can't read.

HTH.

Sonja
Collapse

Hermione
Hermione
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but unfortunately it does not work. Jan 27, 2005

Thanks for your prompt reply, Sonja. I tried it immediately, converted my tmx file to UTF 8 using SC Unipad - but, alas, I still get the same error message. Any idea what could be the cause?

Anyway, have a nice evening
Hermione

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Maybe Unipad did not get it right? Jan 27, 2005

Hermione wrote:

Thanks for your prompt reply, Sonja. I tried it immediately, converted my tmx file to UTF 8 using SC Unipad - but, alas, I still get the same error message. Any idea what could be the cause?

Hermione

Try Rainbow from Enlaso Tools (free). It changes the encoding and also changes the encoding declaration accordingly.

HTH

Piotr

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Save without BOM Jan 27, 2005

Hermione wrote:

Hermione

Hello Hermione,

please check if "Byte-order mark/Signature" is unchecked. (File->File properties). Save again. It should work then.

Kindly,

Sonja

P.S.
The problem with BOM (byte-order mark) is currently being fixed and should be implemented into the next release.

Jörgen Slet
Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 00:46
English to Estonian
+ ...
Maybe byte order mark is guilty ? Jan 27, 2005

Maybe this discussion can help:

Subject: Re: Problem exporting WF TM (tmx) back to Trados 6.5

Marcel

since this error refers to the very first character in the file
("Line 1, Offset 1"), it could be due to a conflict between the CATs
about whether to expect a byte order mark. There has been an
involved discussion on the OmegaT Yahoo Group just recently about this. There is no standard, it seems, and some text e
... See more
Maybe this discussion can help:

Subject: Re: Problem exporting WF TM (tmx) back to Trados 6.5

Marcel

since this error refers to the very first character in the file
("Line 1, Offset 1"), it could be due to a conflict between the CATs
about whether to expect a byte order mark. There has been an
involved discussion on the OmegaT Yahoo Group just recently about this. There is no standard, it seems, and some text editors include it for both UTF8 and UTF-16 files, other only for UTF-16.

This is from the original post on that list from Jan 19:

>>>>>>>>
a couple of days ago I stumbled over an article that dealt with the
byte order mark issue in some UTF-8 encoded XML files and the fact that some text editors add a BOM and others don't. It seems that Windows Notepad is one of these editors that puts a BOM at the beginning of a UTF-8 encoded file, and you can't influence that.

Since I was having problems with one of my Wordfast TMs, I downloaded an editor that converts between different encodings and also gives me the choice to set a BOM or not.

Surprisingly enough, the WF TM worked after I saved it without a BOM in UTF-8, with all characters appearing as they should. This is a major step forward as all other Wordfast TMs converted with OOo did not work in UTF-8, and any other encoding made Umlauts disappear. So far I had no luck with this method on other TMs.
>>>>>>>>

various listmembers then recommended their favourite free text
editors, eg, UniPad, BBEdit v8 on Mac OSX, etc that can add/remove the BOM.

Here is a link to more (often confusing) info:
http://www.unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#BOM

Perhaps you could edit the TMX to remove the BOM and try importing to TRADOS again.

Regards,
Ray

--- In [email protected], "Marcel Lemmens"

My collegue
> is unable to import the file back into Trados and gets the
> following message:
> (35000): SSLex0105e: Invalid token, Line 1, Offset 1
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
OmT 1.4.4.02 released Jan 28, 2005

I just wanted to let you know that OmT 1.4.4.02 has been released. This new release is now able to read TMX files regardless of whether they have a BOM or not. However, they still need to be in UTF-8.

For most users this is a major improvement because they won't need to use Unicode or text editors that can remove BOMs. If you need to convert a Trados UTF-16 TMX for use with OmT, I suggest you use OOo now (as probably most OmT users will have OOo on their computers).

S
... See more
I just wanted to let you know that OmT 1.4.4.02 has been released. This new release is now able to read TMX files regardless of whether they have a BOM or not. However, they still need to be in UTF-8.

For most users this is a major improvement because they won't need to use Unicode or text editors that can remove BOMs. If you need to convert a Trados UTF-16 TMX for use with OmT, I suggest you use OOo now (as probably most OmT users will have OOo on their computers).

Sonja

P.S.
Download link: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=68187&package_id=123969&release_id=300418
It seems as if you'll need to copy/paste the link into your browser.

[Edited at 2005-01-28 08:33]
Collapse

Hermione
Hermione
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Jan 28, 2005

Thank you so much, Piotr, Sonja and Jörgen. I followed your advice and removed the BOM in SC UniPad, created a new project (just replacing the tmx file didn't do the trick) and am now able to use my TRADOS memory. Thanks for pointing out the new OmegaT version, Sonja, I'll get that, too. And I'll certainly try OmegaT on a presentation as you recommended in your excellent blog!

Best
Hermione

[Edited at 2005-01-28 11:12]

Hermione
Hermione
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite perfect yet Jan 28, 2005

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Being a curious person, I tried it, but unfortunately it messes up German umlauts and special characters (or at least the way they are displayed in OmegaT). So I'll stick with SC UniPad for the time being.
Hermione

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Strange, Jan 28, 2005

I don't have that problem here. However, the only real Trados TM I have is Danish to English.

What I did is I opened it in OOo which prompted me to choose the appropriate code page, display font, language, etc. What I do here is change from UTF-8 to Unicode before opening the TMX (obviously OOo does not offer UTF-16). If you accepted UTF-8 when you opened it, OOo might have opened it with the wrong code page. This could be an explanation, but I am not sure it is the cause for your p
... See more
I don't have that problem here. However, the only real Trados TM I have is Danish to English.

What I did is I opened it in OOo which prompted me to choose the appropriate code page, display font, language, etc. What I do here is change from UTF-8 to Unicode before opening the TMX (obviously OOo does not offer UTF-16). If you accepted UTF-8 when you opened it, OOo might have opened it with the wrong code page. This could be an explanation, but I am not sure it is the cause for your problem.

Anyway, I would stick to Unipad if it works for you.

Kindly,

Sonja
Collapse

Hermione
Hermione
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ah, yes Jan 28, 2005

Of course, I had to chose "Text kodiert" as Format and then Unicode (UTF 8). Quite logical, when you come to think about it.

Thank you very much indeed for all your valuable advice, Sonja!
Hermione 8)

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT and tmx files exported from Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »