Opening existing translations in OmegaT for editing
Thread poster: serge shpyrko

serge shpyrko  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:03
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 8, 2015

Hello,

Often there is a situation when an already (pre)translated file is delivered for edition, for example, as .ttx or .sdlxdiff. Opening it by default in OmegaT gives already translated text in the target language as source. Is it possible to instruct OmegaT to open such files yielding the source language in source segments, and the translated variant in the target, so that one can edit the translation and have a look at both source text and translation to be checked? OmegaT is of latest version, i.e. 3.1.9_3, and the OKAPI plugin for handling .sdlxdiff and so on is the latter available from site (okapiFiltersForOmegaT-0.26)


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
And... Sep 8, 2015

serge_shp wrote:
Is it possible to instruct OmegaT to open such files yielding the source language in source segments, and the translated variant in the target, so that one can edit the translation and have a look at both source text and translation to be checked?


Have you...
(a) deselected sentence segmentation in the project properties and
(b) deselected OmegaT's own XLIFF filter (to ensure that OmegaT uses the Okapi filter)?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

serge shpyrko  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:03
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Opening existing translations in OmegaT for editing Sep 8, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Have you...
(a) deselected sentence segmentation in the project properties and
(b) deselected OmegaT's own XLIFF filter (to ensure that OmegaT uses the Okapi filter)?


Yes, just now I deselected the sentence-level segmentation, and deselected in Fine Filtering the XLIFF mark, but leaving the marks, named XLIFF (Okapi) and XLIFF-2 Files (Okapi). Now it opened, but in one of the files with only source text in both source and translation, in the second file it opened as desired, that is initial source (untranslated) as source, and pretranslated by other translator - as target.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Serge Sep 8, 2015

serge_shp wrote:
...but leaving the marks, named XLIFF (Okapi) and XLIFF-2 Files (Okapi).


There should be only one filter named "XLIFF (Okapi)". Do you perhaps have the filter installed twice, by mistake (or two versions of it)?

Now it opened, but in one of the files with only source text in both source and translation...


When that happens, it means that the filter thinks that the file is not translated. Are you sure that file is translated?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:03
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
There is indeed an XLIFF 2 filter Sep 8, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

serge_shp wrote:
...but leaving the marks, named XLIFF (Okapi) and XLIFF-2 Files (Okapi).


There should be only one filter named "XLIFF (Okapi)". Do you perhaps have the filter installed twice, by mistake (or two versions of it)?

There are two filters in the Okapi plugin, one for XLIFF and the other for XLIFF 2. They are two different formats.

Didier


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I apologise Sep 8, 2015

Didier Briel wrote:
There are two filters in the Okapi plugin, one for XLIFF and the other for XLIFF 2. They are two different formats.


Sorry, I did not know that.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

serge shpyrko  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:03
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Opening existing translations in OmegaT for editing Sep 8, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

When that happens, it means that the filter thinks that the file is not translated. Are you sure that file is translated?



Yes, the corresponding files can be open in a proper software (in Trados in our case) and it shows, that all files are translated.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:03
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
The OmegaT Yahoo user group might be more appropriate Sep 9, 2015

serge_shp wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

When that happens, it means that the filter thinks that the file is not translated. Are you sure that file is translated?



Yes, the corresponding files can be open in a proper software (in Trados in our case) and it shows, that all files are translated.


I suggest asking for help in the OmegaT Yahoo support group, since it is followed by both OmegaT and Okapi developers.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/info

Didier


Direct link Reply with quote
 


There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »


Opening existing translations in OmegaT for editing

Advanced search






memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search