Memory wipe after laptop shutdown
Thread poster: gramesg

gramesg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:05
English to French
+ ...
Apr 10, 2016

Hello all,

I was working on a project in OmegaT when my computer battery died. I had been saving the project very often (I had a deleted memory scare before), but when I went to open the project after turning the computer back on, it gave me this message:

"Fatal error on line 1, column 1 while parsing:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemid: file:///home/grantie/; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Premature end of file"

which I am told is because the file it's trying to parse is empty, and, sure enough, when I opened my .bak files in a plain text word program, there's nothing there.

Is there any hope whatsoever? I was supposed to have this whole project done by the end of the weekend, but and I've just lost 3 good days of work, so any helpful would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you


 

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:05
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
There should be backups Apr 10, 2016

gramesg wrote:
I was working on a project in OmegaT when my computer battery died. I had been saving the project very often (I had a deleted memory scare before), but when I went to open the project after turning the computer back on, it gave me this message:

"Fatal error on line 1, column 1 while parsing:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemid: file:///home/grantie/; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Premature end of file"

which I am told is because the file it's trying to parse is empty, and, sure enough, when I opened my .bak files in a plain text word program, there's nothing there.

When you write .bak files, do you mean project_save.tmx.xxx.bak in the /omegat folder of the project?
http://omegat.sourceforge.net/manual-standard/en/chapter.misc.html#preventing.data.loss

If you have several of them, it's unlikely a reboot would have emptied them simultaneously.

Is there any hope whatsoever? I was supposed to have this whole project done by the end of the weekend, but and I've just lost 3 good days of work, so any helpful would be greatly appreciated

In addition, to project_save.tmx (the project's main memory) and the backup files (*.bak), if you have used Create Translated Documents, there are three TMXs at the root of the project. You can use the omegat one or the level 2 one.

Didier


 

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:05
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Not about TM Apr 10, 2016

You problem seems to be about corrupted omegat.project file rather than about the very translation memory.
1. Create a new project.
2. Copy source files, working TM, glossary and other relevant files [1] from the current project to the new project.
After that, you should be able to continue working.

[1] http://omegat.sourceforge.net/manual-standard/en/chapter.files.and.folders.html


 

gramesg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:05
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Files still blank Apr 10, 2016

Thank you both for your replies.

Didier Briel wrote:

When you write .bak files, do you mean project_save.tmx.xxx.bak in the /omegat folder of the project?
http://omegat.sourceforge.net/manual-standard/en/chapter.misc.html#preventing.data.loss

If you have several of them, it's unlikely a reboot would have emptied them simultaneously.

Didier


Yes, Dider, I mean the project_save files. I tried doing what esperantisto said, copying the files to another new project, but I still get the same error.

When I open the project_save.tmx or the project_save.tmx.bak , or the omegat.project files, they are all blank, whereas, when I opened up old completed projects, I noticed that they at least had text in them.

Thank you again Didier and esperantisto.


 

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:05
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
By the way… Apr 10, 2016

gramesg wrote:
…I opened my .bak files in a plain text word program…


What on the Earth is that mysterious “plain text word program”?


 

gramesg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:05
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Plain text program Apr 10, 2016

Hi esperantisto,

I'm running Lubuntu, so it's Leafpad for me. The point is, that even when I "look in" the file, there's nothing there, which is pretty frustrating.


 

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:05
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Are there other .bak files? Apr 11, 2016

gramesg wrote:

Didier Briel wrote:

When you write .bak files, do you mean project_save.tmx.xxx.bak in the /omegat folder of the project?
http://omegat.sourceforge.net/manual-standard/en/chapter.misc.html#preventing.data.loss

If you have several of them, it's unlikely a reboot would have emptied them simultaneously.

Didier


Yes, Dider, I mean the project_save files. I tried doing what esperantisto said, copying the files to another new project, but I still get the same error.

When I open the project_save.tmx or the project_save.tmx.bak ,

Are there other .bak files (project_save.tmx.xxx.bak)?

Are there TMX files at the root of the project?

or the omegat.project files, they are all blank, whereas, when I opened up old completed projects, I noticed that they at least had text in them.

It seems unlikely a reboot would wipe simultaneously files that were not in memory at the same time.

You might have a hard drive issue.

Didier

[Edited at 2016-04-11 07:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-04-11 07:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-04-11 07:44 GMT]


 

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:05
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Or permissions Apr 11, 2016

Didier Briel wrote:

You might have a hard drive issue.


Or, maybe, something about permissions. Are you sure that after the battery failure you logged in the system as the same user that had created the project?


 

gramesg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:05
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Restart Apr 12, 2016

Thank you both for all your help!

I've decided that I'll just have to restart the thing all over and let my boss know.

In the future, I'll make sure to have a fully charged battery and multiple backups!

FYI, I do think it might have been a hard drive issue. I'll just have to be careful with this laptop from here on out.

Thank you again, both.


 

TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:05
File system problem Apr 12, 2016

When a system is suddenly shut down in the middle of updating a file, sometimes the contents can be lost. (Imagine updating a paper file: you take the old records out, you're just about to put the new pages in instead, but the fire alarm goes off. When you come back in - the file's empty, you hadn't put the new pages in!)

You can avoid this on the Linux ext4 file system using the data=journal option; a bit of Googling might be enough for you, but if that's all a bit Hellenic just say and I can get you more detail how to stop this happening again.


 

gramesg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:05
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Data saving options Apr 12, 2016

Thank you James for the suggestion. I looked into it and it seems like a good idea! Performance may slow down, but I don't use this laptop for anything but translating, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again to you all!


 


There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »


Memory wipe after laptop shutdown

Advanced search






memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search