I can't load changes on project I saved earlier.
Thread poster: Saammal Morotta

Saammal Morotta
Finland
Dec 6, 2016

I've just started using OmegaT. Version 3.6.0 update 4.

I translated some text using machine translation and fixed the translation in editor field. I saved the project and quit. Later I opened the project but I couldn't find any of the translated text, only the original source text. I checked the project_save.tmx file in the omegat folder and all the translations are there. How can I load these translations to the project?


 

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:26
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Did you change the languages in project properties? Dec 7, 2016

Saammal Morotta wrote:
I've just started using OmegaT. Version 3.6.0 update 4.

I translated some text using machine translation and fixed the translation in editor field. I saved the project and quit. Later I opened the project but I couldn't find any of the translated text, only the original source text. I checked the project_save.tmx file in the omegat folder and all the translations are there. How can I load these translations to the project?

If the translations are in project_save.tmx, they should be loaded automatically.

At some point, did you change the languages in project properties?

Didier


 

Saammal Morotta
Finland
TOPIC STARTER
Languages not changed Dec 7, 2016

Didier Briel wrote:

If the translations are in project_save.tmx, they should be loaded automatically.

At some point, did you change the languages in project properties?

Didier


Thank you for the answer.

I defined the languages when I started the project, but I haven't changed them. I downloaded a plug-in for machine translation and set the language pair manually. Could that be the source of the problem?


 

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:26
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Where did you set the language pair? Dec 7, 2016

Saammal Morotta wrote:

Didier Briel wrote:

If the translations are in project_save.tmx, they should be loaded automatically.

At some point, did you change the languages in project properties?

Didier


Thank you for the answer.

I defined the languages when I started the project, but I haven't changed them. I downloaded a plug-in for machine translation

What plugin?

and set the language pair manually.

Where, in the plugin options?

Could that be the source of the problem?

To help you, we have to understand what you did exactly and in what order.

Didier


 

Saammal Morotta
Finland
TOPIC STARTER
Procedure Dec 7, 2016

Didier Briel wrote:

To help you, we have to understand what you did exactly and in what order.

Didier


I'll go through all I did step by step:

1. I installed OmegaT version 3.6.0
2. I downloaded following file in the plugins folder: https://apertium.projectjj.com/apertium-omegat-native.jar (It's machine translator from Northern Sami to Inari Sami)
3. I started a project and wrote manually "SME" (Northern Sami) into Source Files Language and "SMN" (Inari Sami) into Translated Files Language.
4. I copied the source file into source folder.
5. I went to Options/Apertium Native (nightly) and installed Northern Sami - Inari Sami language pair.
6. I went to Options/Machine Translate and chose Apertium Native (nightly).
7. Now I had the source text in the Editor window and automatically translated text in the Machine Translation window.
8. I started translating the text with machine translation (Ctrl-M) and fixed the errors in the editor window.
9. I saved the project and quit.
10. Later I opened the project and none of the translated parts were visible in the editor window. Only the original source text.
11. I checked file project_save.tmx file in the omegat folder and all the translated segment seem to there.
12. I spent few hours reading manuals and forums and finally ended up asking here.


 

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:26
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
No idea what happens Dec 7, 2016

Saammal Morotta wrote:
I'll go through all I did step by step:

1. I installed OmegaT version 3.6.0
2. I downloaded following file in the plugins folder: https://apertium.projectjj.com/apertium-omegat-native.jar (It's machine translator from Northern Sami to Inari Sami)
3. I started a project and wrote manually "SME" (Northern Sami) into Source Files Language and "SMN" (Inari Sami) into Translated Files Language.
4. I copied the source file into source folder.
5. I went to Options/Apertium Native (nightly) and installed Northern Sami - Inari Sami language pair.
6. I went to Options/Machine Translate and chose Apertium Native (nightly).
7. Now I had the source text in the Editor window and automatically translated text in the Machine Translation window.
8. I started translating the text with machine translation (Ctrl-M) and fixed the errors in the editor window.
9. I saved the project and quit.
10. Later I opened the project and none of the translated parts were visible in the editor window. Only the original source text.
11. I checked file project_save.tmx file in the omegat folder and all the translated segment seem to there.
12. I spent few hours reading manuals and forums and finally ended up asking here.

Thank you for the detailed description.

I have no specific idea. If you send me the project (zipped), I can check what is happening.

Didier


 

Saammal Morotta
Finland
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 20, 2016

Didier Briel wrote:

I have no specific idea. If you send me the project (zipped), I can check what is happening.

Didier


Sorry that my answer took so long. I was traveling last week and was busy other ways also.

I would appreciate if you could do that. Where should I send the zipped project? To your e-mail?


 

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:26
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Send to my email Dec 20, 2016

Saammal Morotta wrote:

Didier Briel wrote:

I have no specific idea. If you send me the project (zipped), I can check what is happening.

Didier


Sorry that my answer took so long. I was traveling last week and was busy other ways also.

I would appreciate if you could do that. Where should I send the zipped project? To your e-mail?

Yes.

Send me a message through ProZ.

Didier


 

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:26
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
It's a bug Dec 22, 2016

Didier Briel wrote:
I have no specific idea. If you send me the project (zipped), I can check what is happening.

Saammal kindly sent me a test project.

There's actually a bug. When the first two letters of three-letter language codes are the same, translations are recorded normally, but are not loaded next time the project is loaded. I have created a bug report:
https://sourceforge.net/p/omegat/bugs/845/

As a workaround, instead of translating from SME to SMN, you could set the source language as SE, the two-letter code for Northern Sami (when there are both two-letter and three-letter languages codes for the same language, it's generally better to use the two-letter one). Later on, if using the three-letter language code is really important, you can always do a search and replace in the resulting TMXs.

Didier


 


There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »


I can't load changes on project I saved earlier.

Advanced search






memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search