Off topic: Do you often use Omegat?
Thread poster: Debora d'Amato

Debora d'Amato  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:55
English to Italian
+ ...


Posted via
ProZ.com Mobile


Jun 5

Hi everyone, lately I found out a new (to me obviously) CAT tool: Omegat. Actually, I'm realising that there are many CAT tools besides Wordfast and Trados' ones, of course - I'm used to using and working with Wordfast-. So, I was wondering how many of you were using Omegat? And if yes, during your work, do you use simultaneously other CAT tools in addition to Omegat?
I hope you got it: I'm a neo-translator!


 

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:55
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
always Jun 5

Unless a client requires something else. OmegaT is great. There would be no reason that I can think of to use it with another CAT tool.
You aren't going to get much information with a question like that, however. Not that many people monitor this forum. See the OmegaT users group on Yahoo for more of a sense of things: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/conversations/messages


 

Debora d'Amato  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:55
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good Jun 5

I get it. I had no idea about it. However, really thank you! I'll check the link you posted.
Thank you!icon_smile.gif


 

Sara Massons  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:55
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
OmegaT is great but I'm bound to use many other tools Jun 6

I started with OmegaT because I am found of OpenSource software and because it is free. Now that I have a couple of clients, they all want me to use different software, often to make team work more fluent and I'm bound to use MemoQ, Memsource, SDL and many others quite more often.
The only thing I can find agains OmegaT is that the source segment is above the target one. This is rather personal but I really prefer having source and target segments side by side.
Do try it, it is a good tool !


 

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:55
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
More than 10,000 downloads per month Jun 6

Debora d'Amato wrote:
Hi everyone, lately I found out a new (to me obviously) CAT tool: Omegat. Actually, I'm realising that there are many CAT tools besides Wordfast and Trados' ones, of course - I'm used to using and working with Wordfast-. So, I was wondering how many of you were using Omegat?

Since we do not track users, we do not have any usage number.
The only figure we have is the number of downloads, more than 10,000 per month:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/files/stats/timeline?dates=2002-11-28%20to%202018-06-06

Didier


 

Magda Phili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:55
Member (2013)
Italian to Greek
+ ...
Minimal, distraction-free & free: what's not to like? Jun 6

I love OmegaT. If you know how to benefit from it organizing your work and the memory files, it can be great help. The problem is that clients expect you to work with Trados.
The source-target arrangement is not a problem, once you get used to it. It becomes a problem when the segments are too long.
If it was compatible with Trados, it would be a bliss!


 

Debora d'Amato  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:55
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll do Jun 6

Sara Massons wrote:

I started with OmegaT because I am found of OpenSource software and because it is free. Now that I have a couple of clients, they all want me to use different software, often to make team work more fluent and I'm bound to use MemoQ, Memsource, SDL and many others quite more often.
The only thing I can find agains OmegaT is that the source segment is above the target one. This is rather personal but I really prefer having source and target segments side by side.
Do try it, it is a good tool !


Even though I can't understand why the most of clients or professional translators prefer SDL to other CAT tools, as if it was something extraordinary...I've still lot to learn!icon_smile.gif
Thank you Sara!


 

Debora d'Amato  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:55
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Always Trados Jun 6

M.Phili wrote:

I love OmegaT. If you know how to benefit from it organizing your work and the memory files, it can be great help. The problem is that clients expect you to work with Trados.
The source-target arrangement is not a problem, once you get used to it. It becomes a problem when the segments are too long.
If it was compatible with Trados, it would be a bliss!


It's the same thing I say...everyone expects you to work with Trados. One day I'll get it, and maybe I'll prefer Trados too. Now I just have to find the cat tool that best suits me.
Thanks Phili


 


There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »


Do you often use Omegat?

Advanced search






BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search