Translating/hacking OmegaT to use two source texts: tmx and matches
Thread poster: Thijs Vissia

Thijs Vissia
Netherlands
Feb 27

Another question, I've a text to translate where I want to refer to both an English and a German source document to make a Dutch translation. In fact, the German is the original, and the English is a translation, and since my German isn't excellent, I want to use both. If possible I would like to see both inside OmegaT as I work.

I was wondering if there are any people who've worked out a not-too-elaborate way to do this?

What I've thought to do is enter the English and
... See more
Another question, I've a text to translate where I want to refer to both an English and a German source document to make a Dutch translation. In fact, the German is the original, and the English is a translation, and since my German isn't excellent, I want to use both. If possible I would like to see both inside OmegaT as I work.

I was wondering if there are any people who've worked out a not-too-elaborate way to do this?

What I've thought to do is enter the English and the German into a .tmx, and put this into the tm folder of a new translation project, with the German text as the source document.

The German - English tmx file doesn't show up in the Fuzzy matches panel, probably because I have now selected a different target language.

So if I change the target language to English, the German-English translation now shows up in Fuzzy Matches. But it also inserts them automatically into the target field, which I do not want to happen.

This shouldn't be the case, as the manual says, a translation memory in the tm folder does not automatically insert even exact matches:

"Exact matches
These matches are automatically copied into the segments they are identical to without being user selected. This only happens if the match belongs to the project's translation memory (i.e. file project_save.tmx located in the /omegat/ directory). Any exact match found in other translation memory files located in /tm/ will not be automatically inserted, they must be deliberately inserted." (https://sourceforge.net/p/omegat/svn/261/tree/trunk/docs/en/Matches.html)

Is there another setting that is overruling this supposed behaviour?

And the other question: anyone else find another good way to hack OmegaT into this kind of dual source text type of translation?

Any help appreciated!
Collapse

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
@Thijs Feb 28

Thijs Vissia wrote:
So if I change the target language to English, the German-English translation now shows up in Fuzzy Matches. But it also inserts them automatically into the target field, which I do not want to happen.

Option 1: In OmegaT, go Options > Preferences > Editor > deselect "Insert the best fuzzy match".

Option 2: Add a marker e.g. # in front of all source texts in the DE-EN TM, so that they're never 100% matches. In your plain text editor, when editing the TMX file, change "<seg>" to "<seg> # ".

Option 3: Check out these two additional TM options:
https://omegat.sourceforge.io/manual-standard/en/project.folder.html#d0e4596

[Edited at 2020-02-28 09:04 GMT]

esperantisto

Thijs Vissia
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 28

Hi Samuel, thanks very much.

tcordonniery
France
Local time: 13:18
For source in 2 languages Mar 2

Samuel Murray wrote:
Option 1: In OmegaT, go Options > Preferences > Editor > deselect "Insert the best fuzzy match".
Option 2: Add a marker e.g. # in front of all source texts in the DE-EN TM, so that they're never 100% matches. In your plain text editor, when editing the TMX file, change "" to " # ".
Option 3: Check out these two additional TM options

Option 4: copy the TMX file containing EN and DE into the directory tm/tmx2source. If you imported original in DE in source/ deirectory, then EN will also appear in the editor with a distinct color (only for current segment). If you imported EN/ in the source/ directory, then DE will appear with distinct color.
Only inconvenience is that it works only with 100% matches, so only if the source is exactly, tag for tag, identical to what OmegaT extracts from the source file.

[Edit]. Sorry I forgot an important detail: the file must be renamed as en.tmx, de.tmx, en-gb.tmx or de-de.tmx depending on the name of the alternative language you want to display. The name to use must be the language name as present in the file itself (i.e. don't rename as de.tmx if the contains de-DE).

[Edited at 2020-03-03 06:38 GMT]

Thijs Vissia
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Looks fantastic Mar 5

tcordonniery wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:
Option 2: Add a marker e.g. # in front of all source texts in the DE-EN TM, so that they're never 100% matches. In your plain text editor, when editing the TMX file, change "" to " # ".
Option 3: Check out these two additional TM options

Option 4: copy the TMX file containing EN and DE into the directory tm/tmx2source. If you imported original in DE in source/ deirectory, then EN will also appear in the editor with a distinct color (only for current segment). If you imported EN/ in the source/ directory, then DE will appear with distinct color.
Only inconvenience is that it works only with 100% matches, so only if the source is exactly, tag for tag, identical to what OmegaT extracts from the source file.

[Edit]. Sorry I forgot an important detail: the file must be renamed as en.tmx, de.tmx, en-gb.tmx or de-de.tmx depending on the name of the alternative language you want to display. The name to use must be the language name as present in the file itself (i.e. don't rename as de.tmx if the contains de-DE).

[Edited at 2020-03-03 06:38 GMT]

hi tcordonniery,

Many thanks for knowing and pointing this out. This seems excellent, a hidden feature to do exactly what I was looking for. However, I can't seem to get it to work.

I've got a file with the German source text (source/German_source.txt) in the source folder and the "reference translation" as a .tmx in English in the subfolder called tmx2source of the tm folder (so tm/tmx2source/en-GB.tmx). The project itself now has the language pair of the source document (de) and the target document (nl-NL). (Note this is different than the pair of German-UK English that I used in the project to create the en-GB.tmx file. Next time I'll probably use the Align Files feature to create this .tmx file.)

The contents of the English part of the "tmx2source/en-GB.tmx" file do not show up, just the segments from the source document. Also nothing shows in Fuzzy Matches panel.

Is this a feature recently added? FWIW I'm running OmegaT 5.1.0.

Is there anything else that might be the cause?

Edit: I also found this old thread by Samuel Murray - https://www.proz.com/forum/omegat_support/238939-translating_from_a_secondary_source_language_in_omegat.html?print=1

I think my above test setup is identical as Samuel's description?

[Edited at 2020-03-05 14:21 GMT]

Thijs Vissia
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
hmm... Mar 21

Any word on this? I'd really like to get this to work, but ongoing attempts haven't been succesful yet.

Many thanks.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Translating/hacking OmegaT to use two source texts: tmx and matches

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search