Thread poster: Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 28, 2011

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this area translators and language professionals can play games and share material which do not fit in other categories within the Translator playground.

IS there any interest in having an area on ProZ.com where one could play games? I have temporarily posted an iframe with a series of free flash based games on my profile "about me" section here - http://www.proz.com/profile/601248

The games come in a variety of types from classic arcade, to puzzles, teasers etc (warning it can be a serious time drain) and most games begin by rolling an ad first (that's why they're free).

Take a look, play around and let me know if anyone thinks this is something that might be of interest to ProZ.com community members.

P.S. Be sure to click "yes" to the prompt on my profile to "display java script" the Java script in question is the game center I embedded in to the about me section of my profile.

Thanks and happy gaming.

Drew

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
VERY honestly, and with all due respect, Drew... Jul 28, 2011

... I see some of my support tickets (and imagine thousands of them from other users) at Proz getting rusty, the issue remains untouched, and I understand that there is only so much programming manpower available there. You guys have developed so many important features, that it's understandable that some of them will remain incomplete for a considerable period of time.

However any business must have goals, and priorities must be set if any of them is to be achieved without dependin
... See more
... I see some of my support tickets (and imagine thousands of them from other users) at Proz getting rusty, the issue remains untouched, and I understand that there is only so much programming manpower available there. You guys have developed so many important features, that it's understandable that some of them will remain incomplete for a considerable period of time.

However any business must have goals, and priorities must be set if any of them is to be achieved without depending exclusively on luck. Even if half or more of all Prozians would welcome those games, I wonder if they could objectively be rated as a priority for the Proz organization, or for hard-working translators, considering the sea of other such options available on the web.

Just my 2¢.
Collapse

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Games did not involve development staff Jul 28, 2011

Always appreciate and welcome feedback Jose. You have a valid point. To that end, I am not a developer and as such cannot tackle any of those support items you referenced. The games are a 3rd party site that allows me (a non-tech guy) to create an account, generate embed code and then simply copy and paste. This is why it resides on my profile about me section and not a dedicated page of its own (as that would have required development resources).

Again, I understand and appreci
... See more
Always appreciate and welcome feedback Jose. You have a valid point. To that end, I am not a developer and as such cannot tackle any of those support items you referenced. The games are a 3rd party site that allows me (a non-tech guy) to create an account, generate embed code and then simply copy and paste. This is why it resides on my profile about me section and not a dedicated page of its own (as that would have required development resources).

Again, I understand and appreciate your concerns, just wanted to point out that this specific instance of flash based games on my profile took about 5 minutes and did not detract development resources from their activities in delivering tools and opportunities for translation professionals.\

Games and their like can be a polarizing element on ProZ.com. Some welcome them and the distraction they can cause, while others prefer to view ProZ.com as their professional window to the world and as such feel games should not play a role in the site at all.

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Got the point Jul 28, 2011

Okay, Drew, I understand. It's about jazzing up Proz with some arcade flavor.

Anyway, I'm not a programmer either, but if I were, say, an ashtray cleaner there at Proz, I'd get those progammers coffee, donuts, anything to make them happy in order to keep their stuff moving forward.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:43
French to English
+ ...
Not quite sure I see the rationale... Jul 28, 2011

Might I suggest that people who want to play flash games just search for "flash games" in Google, and that the ProZ web site remains a translation portal...?

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:43
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
No, absolutely not. Jul 29, 2011

Drew,

I really wouldn't like to see this happen. I'd prefer the site to concentrate on translation. The internet is full of games, cooking recipes, dating opportunities and so on. We don't need that here at all.

My 2 cents.
Regards,
Erik

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Quite my first thought... Jul 29, 2011

Neil Coffey wrote:

Might I suggest that people who want to play flash games just search for "flash games" in Google, and that the ProZ web site remains a translation portal...?

To be honest, I hate the ever-increasing interconnection between totally or partially unrelated sites and / or features.

ETA: and I mean this for every site I use, not ProZ.com in particular. The danger is that such games (or anything not more or less related to the scope of ProZ.com) may attract the wrong public here, as it has happened elsewhere.

[Edited at 2011-07-30 08:40 GMT]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:43
Swedish to English
+ ...
Simples as that meerkat would say (TV ad for those not in the UK) Jul 29, 2011

Neil Coffey wrote:

Not quite sure I see the rationale...

José, Neil, Erik - any website that relies, wholly or partially, on ad revenue has reason to increase impressions as well as unique visitors. Impressions and visitors also, to some extent, affect Google ranking.

ProZ is a business that partially relies on ad revenue. The more users who visit the site, the better for ProZ. The more times these visitors visit ProZ, the better for ProZ. Ergo - ProZ introduces a "Translator playground".

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
How about a dating section? Jul 29, 2011

So, shall we expect a dating section soon? Or otherwise - how about some visual distraction for male translators (something along the way of page 3 girls...) - would be for sure also not bad to attract new visitors...

I totally agree with Josè, Neil, efreitag and Laurent: I would prefer the site concentrating at how to keep existing professionals here instead of spending time with "attracting visitors" for flash games...

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for your feedback. The flash based games area will not be added Aug 1, 2011

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback. The flash based games area will not be added to the site.

Best regards,
Romina

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Good news- Aug 1, 2011

Dear Romina,

That's good news - a sensible decision!

Kind regards,
Erik

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Flash based games

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »