Polish keyboard in MS Windows XP
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:58
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dec 10, 2008

Sorry to bother you all again.
I went to the keyboard settings and selected Polish, and Polish is displayed in the language bar. However, I get no Polish characters out of it. I believe I set the keyboard to programmers setting, which is the only option apparently.

What could I possibly be doing wrong.

Also, I need these characters for an electronic dictionary, and I am not sure it will expand into that program.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:58
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You must use the ALT GR key with a corresponding Polish letter Dec 10, 2008

to get Polish diacritics.
You also might try to use Polish 214 ( to be selected in keyboard layout section of keyboard settings), which changes the keyboard to look like the keyboard on an old Polish type writer. In this case keys in the right part of the keyboard, beside the Enter key, are redefined and represent Polish characters.

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Polish keyboards to go.. Dec 10, 2008

Unfortunately, we don't have this key on a standard US keyboard. According to the article below on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr

you could use the Ctrl + Alt key, which I've tried, and it works in my e-dix, however, in Word for Windows it is less successful, maybe because these combinations are co-opted by another program, in this case WordFast, although the Ctrl+Alt shortcuts never materialized in that program, for whatever reason.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try using the right alt key Dec 10, 2008

And as for Word - it is very easy to program it to use the left alt key to enter Polish characters.
I do not have the description right now, as I would need to write it for you, but you should know, that you can assign almost every shortcut in Word (up to 2003, I don't know how 2007 behaves) to a desired action.

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Polish characters in Word... Dec 11, 2008

Alright, tried that. I looked at the insert special symbol and found many foreign characters there assignable by a shortcut, but none were Polish. I don't think you will get Polish characters displayed, at least not in the English version of Word. I could be wrong, though.

YR

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You must be wrong Dec 11, 2008

It depends not on the language version.
Arial is an unicode font for example, and contains Polish.

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Polish PROGRAMMER'S layout Dec 11, 2008

I don't know if this has any bearing on your problem, but the keyboard you should select is Polish Programmer's.

The Polish keyboard ("straight") has a layout similar to the German layout, with "Y" and "Z" reversed and a number of other inconveniences. The Polish Programmer's layout is similar to the American layout.

HTH
Paweł Skaliński

[Edited at 2008-12-11 10:04 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Quite the oposite :D Dec 11, 2008

PAS wrote:
The Polish keyboard ("straight") has a layout similar to the German layout, with "Y" and "Z" reversed and a number of other inconveniences.

Well, what kind of inconveniences?
QWERTZ is Polish standard, not QWERTY!
Please look here: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTZ

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I knew you would say that! Dec 11, 2008

Jerzy - I knew you would say that!

I meant to say that with Yngve in the USA, he most likely uses a "standard", American style QWERTY keyboard.

In the Polish Programmer's layout, all the punctuation marks and all the other characters correspond directly to the keys on the American-style keyboard.

Let Yngve respond and then we'll see if that takes us forward.

P.A.S.

[Edited at 2008-12-11 10:33 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What shows... Dec 11, 2008

PAS wrote:

Jerzy - I knew you would say that!

I meant to say that with Yngve in the USA, he most likely uses a "standard", American style QWERTY keyboard.

In the Polish Programmer's layout, all the punctuation marks and all the other characters correspond directly to the keys on the American-style keyboard.

Let Yngve respond and then we'll see if that takes us forward.

P.A.S.

that computers in Poland were intruduced blindly and everything was (as usual) America-oriented

BTT: You are fully right, the programmers layout would be what should fit Yngve best.
BTW, even in the US you should be able to get a different keyboard, so instead of making yourself trouble with finding out how to program Word to follow the keyboard you simply buy one for a few bucks and you'll be done?

Lenard Zwick  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to Hungarian
+ ...
Polish keyboard in MS Windows XP Dec 11, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

PAS wrote:
The Polish keyboard ("straight") has a layout similar to the German layout, with "Y" and "Z" reversed and a number of other inconveniences.

Well, what kind of inconveniences?
QWERTZ is Polish standard, not QWERTY!
Please look here: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTZ

That's right, QWERTZ (not similar to e.g. German) (aka Typists' keyboard) is the official standard, but... almost nobody use it.
Why?
There is probably no polish PC keyboards at all, so everybody (or almost everybody) uses for PC-s the American QWERTY keyboard, setting the Polish programmers' keyboard layout and generating Polish letters by the combination of the left Alt key with the appropriate Latin letter (but ź = left Alt + x).
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Polish

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Polish Programmer's layout in English XP? Dec 11, 2008

I don't know if the layout will be available in an English language version of XP...

P.

*eva*  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:58
English to Polish
+ ...
Polish fonts Dec 11, 2008

PAS wrote:

I don't know if the layout will be available in an English language version of XP...

P.

I can confirm it's fully working and available, both in English XP and Vista.

Was wondering if the problem might be using the wrong type of font?

e

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Use the dead key ~ Dec 11, 2008

Yngve Roennike wrote:

Unfortunately, we don't have this key on a standard US keyboard.

Yep, they're really diacritically disabled...

According to the article below on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr

you could use the Ctrl + Alt key, which I've tried, and it works in my e-dix, however, in Word for Windows it is less successful, maybe because these combinations are co-opted by another program, in this case WordFast, although the Ctrl+Alt shortcuts never materialized in that program, for whatever reason.

It happens for a lot of programs.

Just type ~, then the letter you need.
E.g. ~e > ę
For the upper case letters, maintain the Shift pressed, otherwise the letter will be preceded by ~.

PS.
Of course, it works for the Polish Programmer layout.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-12-11 15:40 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Unicode fonts... Dec 11, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

It depends not on the language version.
Arial is an unicode font for example, and contains Polish.

If installed.

See the Regional and Language Settings in the Control Panel.
The CE languages support is often not installed on OEM PCs in US.

Cheers
GG

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Polish keyboard in MS Windows XP

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search