Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:45
Russian to English
+ ...
Nov 25, 2009

Hi there,

Apologies, firstly, for posting in English, but this seems to me the best place to pose this question:

We're having font problems with a ppt file that has been translated into Polish. It is absolutely fine until it is uploaded onto the client's ftp site, at which point we end up with the characters that have diacritics getting slightly mangled - they are still legible, but the formatting is slightly off.

The font in question is Arial

... See more
Hi there,

Apologies, firstly, for posting in English, but this seems to me the best place to pose this question:

We're having font problems with a ppt file that has been translated into Polish. It is absolutely fine until it is uploaded onto the client's ftp site, at which point we end up with the characters that have diacritics getting slightly mangled - they are still legible, but the formatting is slightly off.

The font in question is Arial

Can anyone recommend an alternative font with similar aesthetics to Arial, but that is more 'bomb-proof'?

Many thanks,

Dan
Collapse

Iwona Szymaniak
Iwona Szymaniak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:45
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
True Type fonts Nov 25, 2009

Have you tried embedding True Type fonts in the presentation?
This is what I always do to save Polish diacritics. You access it in Tools --->Options and---> Saving.

I hope to have helped.

Iwona

[Zmieniono 2009-11-25 16:23 GMT]

Lucyna Lopez Saez
Lucyna Lopez Saez  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2007)
Polish to French
+ ...
Arial CE and not Arial Nov 25, 2009

Arial with polish type fonts is Arial CE.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Unicode Nov 25, 2009

Arial DOES contain Polish characters.
Ariacl CE does not exist in a PC anymore...
in fact it did never really exist, but was first intruoduced with Windows 95 as a part of Arial font, representing the Polish code page. Later on, when applications came supporting Unicode (Word 97 for example) the did not show Arial CE anymore. Some obscure applications not supporting Unicode do even now show Arial CE.
But when you go to fonts, you will not find Arial CE, unless you installed a c
... See more
Arial DOES contain Polish characters.
Ariacl CE does not exist in a PC anymore...
in fact it did never really exist, but was first intruoduced with Windows 95 as a part of Arial font, representing the Polish code page. Later on, when applications came supporting Unicode (Word 97 for example) the did not show Arial CE anymore. Some obscure applications not supporting Unicode do even now show Arial CE.
But when you go to fonts, you will not find Arial CE, unless you installed a corresponding font as a PostScript.

Arial is neither PostScript nor TrueType, but OPenType. Please forget about TrueType,
The effect you describe is observed sometimes in PPT presentations and I was unable to solve it.
Maybe changing the PPT format to PPT 2007 or using OpenOffice on it will help.
The problem are not only Polish diacritics, but all diacritics in fact. They appear in Times New Roman instead. Even changing the language in the presentation does not always help. In my case quite often changing the language and retyping the characters did help.
You could also try to exchange TNR through Arial in the PPT.
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
PowerPoint bug Nov 25, 2009

This is PowerPoint bug. All versions older than 2007 are affected (including 2003). Open the file with PowerPoint 2007 or OpenOffice, and everything will look fine. You may try replacing fonts, but in most cases this will not solve the problem.

OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
PPT bug Nov 25, 2009

Solved in Office 2007, as Wojciech said. The problem is commonly triggered or aggravated by Trados/ttx.
One 'workaround' is to copy from ppt > paste into notepad > copy >paste back into PPT.
As stupid as it sounds, it is sometimes the quickest tool in the toolbox.
Haven't heard of a good solution to this problem.

I could have a quick look around the weekend if you are still stuck with ę's and ą's, and its not a humongous ppt.

Good luck, G

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Polish diacritics and powerpoint

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »