OFF TOPIC - Standardization of Polish cities names
Thread poster: eleonora77
eleonora77
Local time: 13:19
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2007

Good Afternoon to all of you!
Sorry for posting this OT issue, but I'm surfing the web in search of info that I'm not able to find...maybe you Polish people can help me? I go straight to the point: I've been informed that Polish cities names have undergone to a sort of "standardization", i.e. they have changed their name adopting a new one, but the 'old' name still exist. Because I'm arranging a business travel of my Manager to Poland, he asks me to provide him with a complete "list" of all Polish cities name in their new and old version!!! Do you know where can I retrieve such type of info???

Thanks a lot for your help.......
Eleonora

[Edited at 2007-08-23 13:36]

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Don't worry about that Aug 23, 2007

Hi,

there were some fine changes in spelling, like capital letters in two-part names or with or without dash. But this applies mostly to villages, small towns etc. No major names have been changed. Every new map is exact enough for you purposes.

Some examples:

http://mapa.pf.pl
www.mapa.szukacz.pl
www.mapgo.pl

Nice trip!

Regards

Andzrej

eleonora77
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank-You! Aug 23, 2007

Thanks a lot for your help and the good links!
Cheers
Eleonora

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:19
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
When was the old version? Aug 23, 2007

As you know, some parts of what is now Poland used to be parts of Germany (before World War II). For this reason, many cities had German names, e.g., Szczecin used to be Stettin (and some people still use that name when writing in German, although that practice is not common). The sites that Andrzej provided, I think, have links to old names. (I haven't checked, but the URLs look familiar.) If that doesn't work and you have specific cities (rather than a list of all cities in Poland), many of the Wikipedia articles also have the old names.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OFF TOPIC - Standardization of Polish cities names

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search