Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Does translation/interpretation run in the family?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 21, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Does translation/interpretation run in the family?".

This poll was originally submitted by Maria Ayala

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Does translation/interpretation run in the family?".

This poll was originally submitted by Maria Ayala

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes... Apr 21, 2008

Well, I am the only one who has studied the career of Translation/Interpretation at university level. But I have two aunts who often make translations; they are empiric translators with no formal studies, but they do a good job.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not yet, but would be pleased if it happened Apr 21, 2008

I am the first full-time translator in the family. I would be thrilled if my kids decided to learn the ropes, just because I would be able to pass on my experiences to them and support them in their beginnings. But having said that, I will be happy if they choose any other career that makes them happy.

Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
Oh, yes... Apr 21, 2008

My sister is a translator.
My niece (only 13) has also already translated a book.
My father is a journalist/author, but has also translated many novels and short stories.
My mother (just turned 80) has taken up translation lately and translates Latvian plays into Swedish.
And her father, my grandfather, was an author and also did some translations.
So you could definitely say it runs in the family!

Best regards,
Cecilia

[Edited at
... See more
My sister is a translator.
My niece (only 13) has also already translated a book.
My father is a journalist/author, but has also translated many novels and short stories.
My mother (just turned 80) has taken up translation lately and translates Latvian plays into Swedish.
And her father, my grandfather, was an author and also did some translations.
So you could definitely say it runs in the family!

Best regards,
Cecilia

[Edited at 2008-04-21 15:26]
Collapse

Catherine Shepherd
Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 21, 2008

My parents are both brilliant at languages (my mother's a Spanish teacher and translates sometimes, too), and my father's done interpreting quite often (not professionally, though).

My uncle's a freelance translator.

So I guess I could say yes, it runs in the family!

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:30
Member (2008)
French to English
yes Apr 21, 2008

My mother runs an agency and is a DE>EN translator. My sister is a production manager, and my son has tutored Chinese schoolchildren in English in Taiwan. Both my sister's kids have shown an interest as well.

Eva H.
Eva H.  Identity Verified
United States
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, it does Apr 21, 2008

My Mom is a multilingual translator. She loves her job. Her lifelong dedication must have helped me get interested in this profession.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:30
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
First Apr 21, 2008

I am the first translator in my family, too i like it, because it's like opening a new path at the family level.

Valeria Lagos Gordon Downie
Valeria Lagos Gordon Downie
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
yes and no.... Apr 21, 2008

I am the first translator in my family in two generations. But my great-grandfather was a translator as well. From him, I inherited a 6 languages dictionary (Spanish, Italian, French, German, English and something else I can't remember, maybe Latin), which, I love, although it's almost too old to be used. He was Italian and a lawyer, and had emigrated to Argentina in the late 19th century, along with another million (yes, a MILLION) of Italians from all over the peninsula, so he made his living ... See more
I am the first translator in my family in two generations. But my great-grandfather was a translator as well. From him, I inherited a 6 languages dictionary (Spanish, Italian, French, German, English and something else I can't remember, maybe Latin), which, I love, although it's almost too old to be used. He was Italian and a lawyer, and had emigrated to Argentina in the late 19th century, along with another million (yes, a MILLION) of Italians from all over the peninsula, so he made his living by translating different documents from any Italian dialect into Spanish. He also spoke and translated other languages, like ENglish and French. Obviously, I never met him, but my granny told me many stories about him.
This is my hommage to him.
Collapse

Stephen Gobin
Stephen Gobin
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
In the genes Apr 21, 2008

Not as far as I know. But with great-grandparents who emigrated to the UK from Poland at the turn of the 20th century and with a surname like "Gobin" (of French origin perhaps?), perhaps some predisposition to be able to make use of languages has come through in the genes.

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Three of us so far Apr 21, 2008

Two of my oldest sons translate in the music and video game fields. One of them is a professional musician, the other is a journalist in video games.

My daughter is also yearning to get started at it.

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
French to English
interested in knowing more Apr 21, 2008

Gayle Wallimann wrote:

Two of my oldest sons translate in the music and video game fields. One of them is a professional musician, the other is a journalist in video games.

My daughter is also yearning to get started at it.

Gayle, what language are big in music and video games? This sounds like the sort of thing my son would be interested in. He has done some work as a music journalist in Taiwan, but he hasn't really settled to anything since he got back, except for a part time radio show, maybe I could give him some inspiration.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely, yes! Apr 21, 2008

Both my husband and I are full-time translators. My sister and my sister-in-law have also studied the carrer of Translation. So I can say translation definitely runs in the family

Happy translation!

Letty

[Edited at 2008-04-21 20:39]

Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund, CT
Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund, CT  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:30
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
NEPHEW Apr 21, 2008

My nephew (19) is studying to be a sworn translator. Sometimes I think I’ve gotten a bit overenthusiastic with my profession!

Now I’m trying to convince him to get a second degree in any IT field. I believe he’ll do it well and it will help him to achieve some advantage over +5,000 certified translators in the English-Spanish pair in Argentina!

Luciana Peixoto
Luciana Peixoto  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes! Apr 21, 2008

My father is also a translator.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does translation/interpretation run in the family?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »