Poll: Do you attend training courses on a regular basis?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 16, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you attend training courses on a regular basis?".

This poll was originally submitted by María Leonor Acevedo-Miranda

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more informati
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you attend training courses on a regular basis?".

This poll was originally submitted by María Leonor Acevedo-Miranda

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
Local time: 00:36
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I would really like to attend,but... Jul 16, 2008

I have just got my translation degree from NYME,Sopron-Szombathely,Hungary,but would feel extremely happy to attend a Proz.com powwow organised here in the antique Savaria.

Unfortunately Budapest is really too far away for me in this moment -for professional and business reasons beyond my control .

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
"Training courses" at the Proz conferences Jul 16, 2008

I don't participate in any regular training courses, but I do attend the fairly informal courses offered at the Proz Conferences - especially those dealing with unfamiliar CAT tools, etc. There is always something new to learn, little tricks and tips that I can apply to my workflow and my favourite CAT tool. Jerzy on the ins and outs of Trados was a real eye-opener. Peter Linton on dealing with OCR and PDFs, Dan Marasescu's Dortmund session on Word 2007 and Kevin Lossner's Deja Vu were fascinat... See more
I don't participate in any regular training courses, but I do attend the fairly informal courses offered at the Proz Conferences - especially those dealing with unfamiliar CAT tools, etc. There is always something new to learn, little tricks and tips that I can apply to my workflow and my favourite CAT tool. Jerzy on the ins and outs of Trados was a real eye-opener. Peter Linton on dealing with OCR and PDFs, Dan Marasescu's Dortmund session on Word 2007 and Kevin Lossner's Deja Vu were fascinating and great fun as well. And they offset the conference fees.
Roll on the next conference!
Cheers,
Jill
Collapse

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 16:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Unfortunately not Jul 16, 2008

There is not so much -if any- training around here. Whenever I learn of a conference or lecture, I try to go.

Milestone
Milestone
English to Arabic
wish I could Jul 17, 2008

I really believe in on-going training and self-enhancement, but home-based work gives little time for going out for training. I try to make the utmost of any information available on the internet related to the translation field and the comments and feedback of my clients. I might receive a specialized training on CAT tools or certain branch of terminology.

[Edited at 2008-07-17 06:34]

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
German to French
+ ...
No Jul 17, 2008

After spending many years at school, university etc., I definitely prefer now learning as an autodidact, following my own rhythm, than attending courses, even if they are free and/or online.

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes, once a year Jul 17, 2008

but I would like to attend training courses more often.

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Jul 17, 2008

I learn a lot while working and I prefer to invest my extremely scarce free time in anything else...

Ruth @ MW

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:36
Russian to English
+ ...
QFT Jul 17, 2008

megane_wang wrote:

I learn a lot while working and I prefer to invest my extremely scarce free time in anything else...

Ruth @ MW

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Once a year Jul 17, 2008

Once a year we have our annual EPITA seminar in late April or early May and I always try to make it. It is a full day on a Saturday during which we have interesting and valuable presentations from local translators and interpreters, as well as invited guest presenters from afar. Being located on the US-Mexico border, we have a large, enthusiastic and constantly growing community of professionals. Suffice to say, we also have some really top-notch talent in our corner of the world. Some of our me... See more
Once a year we have our annual EPITA seminar in late April or early May and I always try to make it. It is a full day on a Saturday during which we have interesting and valuable presentations from local translators and interpreters, as well as invited guest presenters from afar. Being located on the US-Mexico border, we have a large, enthusiastic and constantly growing community of professionals. Suffice to say, we also have some really top-notch talent in our corner of the world. Some of our members are very active in teaching and have distinguished themselves in the field, and educational opportunities are good and continue to grow in our area.

On the other hand, we tend to be a bit provincial because our setting is not like other places. The type of work we do tends to be different in many ways. It is overwhelmingly local and there is very little globalization. Interpreting is the main activity for most, with translation second. Many do both; some do only one or the other. We concentrate on English and Spanish only, but they are both an integral part of our daily existence in our bilingual and bicultural community.

We also have a budget for outside presenters, so if anyone feels they could contribute to our development, then let me know!

Other than that, my own education in the field has been strictly outside the box.
Collapse

Sonja Allen
Sonja Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:36
English to German
+ ...
I would love to Jul 17, 2008

attend more courses but in most cases, prices are quite high making them not easily affordable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you attend training courses on a regular basis?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »