Poll: How often do you get feedback from your clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 8, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do you get feedback from your clients?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mónica Zúccoli

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do you get feedback from your clients?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mónica Zúccoli

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:12
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
It depends on the client Aug 8, 2008

I have one client that always sends a proofed version for me to confirm. We've been known to have 5 exchanges using Word's comment boxes to agree on terminology.

I have others that I hear nothing from.

Frankly, I love getting feedback, because it helps me improve as a translator.

Sanmar
Sanmar
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:12
Dutch to English
Rarely Aug 8, 2008

I would love to get feedback more often, especially the positive kind! Having said that, I also appreciate constructive feedback (as opposed to the 'malicious' proofreader sort), so that I can get a better idea of the style/terminology preferences of particular clients and also to improve as a translator. Of course, when a client keeps returning with more work you assume that they must be happy but it very rarely happens that a client lets you know that they are particularly pleased with your wo... See more
I would love to get feedback more often, especially the positive kind! Having said that, I also appreciate constructive feedback (as opposed to the 'malicious' proofreader sort), so that I can get a better idea of the style/terminology preferences of particular clients and also to improve as a translator. Of course, when a client keeps returning with more work you assume that they must be happy but it very rarely happens that a client lets you know that they are particularly pleased with your work. When they do, it sure tends to make my day!Collapse

Monica_mdq (X)
Monica_mdq (X)
Argentina
Local time: 09:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Importance of Feedback Aug 8, 2008

Hi Rebecca,

I´ve read your post and agree fully about the importance of feedback from the client. From my point of view, it´s a sign of customer loyaly. ¨)

Best,

Mónica

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:12
German to English
+ ...
Varies from client to client Aug 8, 2008

As Rebecca says, it depends on the client. I have one regular client who regularly gives feedback - always a word of thanks and often more detailed (positive) feedback, which I find motivating and encouraging. Clients I know less well tend to give less feedback. Some haven't even confirmed receipt of the translation - I wouldn't know they'd had it if it weren't for the arrival of their payment.

Lisa Roberts
Lisa Roberts  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Aug 9, 2008

I have one client that gives feedback - quite detailed - for every single translation, and then it's a bit hit and miss with various other clients. When I outsource work on the odd occasion, I always try and give a bit of feedback - or at the very least express my thanks for a job well done - it means so much to the translator, particularly with translation being such a thankless profession.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Sometimes Aug 10, 2008

A client who has complaints always reacts.
Positive feedback is not as systematic: agencies seldom relay that kind.
I said "sometimes", because I got a general comment and could view the final text of each translation on the portal of this one customer.

AWa (X)
AWa (X)
English to German
+ ...
"When nobody says anything... Aug 10, 2008

... assume everything's alright"

That's what my grandfather used to say when my grandmother asked the family's opinion on her cooking. And I guess he was right, if anything was out of the ordinary (better or worse than usual) someone would mention it.

Nowadays I apply this quote to my translations.

When I take on a job I will do it well. I don't expect any praise for something that goes without saying. Do you call a craftsman who worked at your place and
... See more
... assume everything's alright"

That's what my grandfather used to say when my grandmother asked the family's opinion on her cooking. And I guess he was right, if anything was out of the ordinary (better or worse than usual) someone would mention it.

Nowadays I apply this quote to my translations.

When I take on a job I will do it well. I don't expect any praise for something that goes without saying. Do you call a craftsman who worked at your place and praise him for the work he's done? Or your doctor to thank him for curing your cold?

If a translation shouldn't meet their standards the client will certainly get in touch to let me know. If the translation is exceptionally good or done at short notice most clients thank me for my support when confirming that they received the text. I appreciate this courtesy - who doesn't like praise? - but I certainly do not expect it.

The best ways for clients to show that they like my work is to come back with new jobs and to recommend me and my work to others.
Collapse

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:12
Member (2008)
French to English
rarely Aug 10, 2008

I would like to get detailed feedback of the kind Lisa Roberts refers to, but I really only get that from one client. I sometimes even ask for feedback/corrections if I have an ongoing pile of work on the same subject for the same client, but I seldom get it, which is too bad. I agree that it does help one improve as a translator. I do sometimes get comments from agencies like "the client especially liked your last job" or "asked for you particularly" but they usually precede asking me to wor... See more
I would like to get detailed feedback of the kind Lisa Roberts refers to, but I really only get that from one client. I sometimes even ask for feedback/corrections if I have an ongoing pile of work on the same subject for the same client, but I seldom get it, which is too bad. I agree that it does help one improve as a translator. I do sometimes get comments from agencies like "the client especially liked your last job" or "asked for you particularly" but they usually precede asking me to work evenings/weekends or meeting a very tight deadline, so I take these with a grain of salt. It's better than hearing negative comments, though!Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you get feedback from your clients?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »