María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's why I keep using Word 2003! Oct 31, 2008

John Cutler wrote:
I love autotext but have found that it's very diffcult to use in Word 2007. It doesn't seem to work the same as it did in earlier versions of Word. In other words, I enter the phrase in the autotext box, but it doesn't seem to insert in the text when I type the first few letters. Am I doing something wrong? Anybody have any suggestions?

I guess the 2007 version will be completely debugged by 2012. Then, and only then, will I upgrade Also, I have found Trados 2007 to run better on Word 2003.

We are going off topic here!

SILLA, GUYS!

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:47
French to English
Oh dear Oct 31, 2008

I see that some people have said "yes", because they use Wordfast. Fair enough.

I'm afraid I rather interpreted the question as "macros you have written yourself". So I said "no".

Simon Cole
Simon Cole  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
French to English
Autocorrect Oct 31, 2008

Rather than autotext, I use autocorrect. I enter a three letter code and the word or phrase pops up without being selected, saving time. For example, the 3 letters tcs = Terms & Conditions of sale, ssd = sustainable development, iev = in the event of. This works for me because it's case sensitive (SSD becomes SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT; Mxm becomes Maximum). When a phrase keeps repeating in the job I'm doing, I add it to autocorrect. Afterwards, 3-letter codes that aren't of general interest get... See more
Rather than autotext, I use autocorrect. I enter a three letter code and the word or phrase pops up without being selected, saving time. For example, the 3 letters tcs = Terms & Conditions of sale, ssd = sustainable development, iev = in the event of. This works for me because it's case sensitive (SSD becomes SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT; Mxm becomes Maximum). When a phrase keeps repeating in the job I'm doing, I add it to autocorrect. Afterwards, 3-letter codes that aren't of general interest get deleted. I aim for 3-letter codes ending in x for singular nouns and z for plural (eg. cpx/cpz = component/components). Because autocorrect uses the CUSTOM.DIC, these codes work in Word, Excel and PowerPoint - but ONLY for the language they were set up in - if you use English UK all the time, they won't work in English US, unless you create them here too.Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:47
Spanish
+ ...
Recorded macros Oct 31, 2008

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I use a few Word macros that I've downloaded and managed to edit, but I wish I knew enough about macro's codes so I could start writing them myself. It's on my To-Do list.

Writing macros is really hard...Why don't you just record them?

Best regards.

I do use several recorded macros, but they're usually not as powerful nor flexible as those that are written (or edited) in code. Actually, editing macros is not that hard--I used to have several Franken-Macros but I forgot to back them up before formatting my computer

Philip Taylor
Philip Taylor  Identity Verified
French to English
Proofreading Oct 31, 2008

I'm sorry if this seems pedantic, and I'm sure I'm not the first person to make the point in relation to poll questions, but can't we get someone to proofread polls submitted by non-English native speakers? "What is that?" should be replaced with "What are they?", "What are macros?" or some other similar phrase. It may seem a small point, but I don't think it looks good to have clumsy English on the homepage of a translation network site.

[Edited at 2008-10-31 16:43]

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Oct 31, 2008

[Edited at 2008-10-31 18:52]

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:47
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Changes. Oct 31, 2008

Philip Taylor wrote:

I'm sorry if this seems pedantic, and I'm sure I'm not the first person to make the point in relation to poll questions, but can't we get someone to proofread polls submitted by non-English native speakers? "What is that?" should be replaced with "What are they?", "What are macros?" or some other similar phrase. It may seem a small point, but I don't think it looks good to have clumsy English on the homepage of a translation network site.

[Edited at 2008-10-31 16:43]

Hi, Phillip. Please address your comment specifically to the staff. They changed lightly my proposal, which was intended to enhance Microsoft Word and Excel macros. They suggested to enhance more firms and not just Microsoft. I accepted.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Oct 31, 2008

[Edited at 2008-10-31 18:52]

Philip Taylor
Philip Taylor  Identity Verified
French to English
re: proofreading Oct 31, 2008

Hi Yaotl,

I just wanted to make it clear that my comments were not intended as a criticism of you, or of non-native English speakers on proz.com in general. My own working pair is French to English, and I'm sure if I was to compose a poll in French it would probably contain plenty of errors. But I do think proz staff should be in a position to proofread poll questions in any language, or to get someone else to do it - they should surely find it easy to locate a few professionals in
... See more
Hi Yaotl,

I just wanted to make it clear that my comments were not intended as a criticism of you, or of non-native English speakers on proz.com in general. My own working pair is French to English, and I'm sure if I was to compose a poll in French it would probably contain plenty of errors. But I do think proz staff should be in a position to proofread poll questions in any language, or to get someone else to do it - they should surely find it easy to locate a few professionals in that area!

Nor am I suggesting that non-native speakers should not feel free to converse on proz.com in English which may not be 100% perfect. Far from it. However, I don't really understand Bin Tiede's view, which seems to suggest that the meaning is all that matters, that if it can be understood it will do. Shouldn't language professionals be interested in going a little further than that?

Anyway, I don't usually get involved in proz.com discussions, and now I remember why! Any opinion or statement is sure to cause offence to someone. So apologies to anyone who has felt my comments were unfair. I'm going to leave it at that, as I don't want to spend all weekend in the forum!

Thanks for the poll by the way. Macros are something I've always overlooked, perhaps wrongly.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:47
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
That's what I meant Nov 1, 2008

María Eugenia Wachtendorff wrote:

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:
I do use them now for long technical terms. I was doing a large book on virus typing, so I wrote macros to save writing out expressions such as "complement-fixation," "erythrocyte agglutination assay" "enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay," etc.

Go to the "Insert" menu and select "Autotext" (the first option in the drop-down menu). Then, in the blank space, enter those phrases or expressions you need to type repeatedly (even when using Trados) and click the ADD button. When you are finished, click ACCEPT, and that's it!

Every time you start typing the first few characters in each phrase you stored for that particular project, all you will need to do is hit ENTER.

[Edited at 2008-10-31 07:17]

Actually, that's what I meant. It's a kind of macro... M.

Miranda Joubioux (X)
Miranda Joubioux (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:47
French to English
yes - with customized buttons to used them Nov 5, 2008

I'm a Wordfast user, and apart from the macros used by WF, I have a few of my own that are very useful.
I have one for removing spaces before colons, one for pasting unformatted, one for next page, one for changing manual line breaks into paragraph breaks and one for removing spaces associated with brackets (I had a huge document in which it was really useful). The others are associated with Wordfast functions, such as marking all red text in a document as untranslateable in one fell swoop
... See more
I'm a Wordfast user, and apart from the macros used by WF, I have a few of my own that are very useful.
I have one for removing spaces before colons, one for pasting unformatted, one for next page, one for changing manual line breaks into paragraph breaks and one for removing spaces associated with brackets (I had a huge document in which it was really useful). The others are associated with Wordfast functions, such as marking all red text in a document as untranslateable in one fell swoop.

I would be lost without them!
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:47
Spanish
+ ...
Customized buttons Nov 5, 2008

Hi Miranda,

How do you create customized buttons? Can you add them to a new toolbar in Word?

Miranda Joubioux wrote:

I have one for removing spaces before colons, one for pasting unformatted, one for next page, one for changing manual line breaks into paragraph breaks and one for removing spaces associated with brackets (I had a huge document in which it was really useful). The others are associated with Wordfast functions, such as marking all red text in a document as untranslateable in one fell swoop.

I would be lost without them!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use macros for your work?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »