https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/120563-poll%3A_have_you_ever_met_your_foreign_clients_in_person.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever met your foreign clients in person?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 13, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever met your foreign clients in person?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lubain Masum

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a ne
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever met your foreign clients in person?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lubain Masum

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:42
Italian to English
+ ...
What is meant by "foreign"? Nov 13, 2008

I had to vote "other/NA" because I really don't understand the question. Does "foreign" mean "not my nationality" or does it mean "not in my country"?

I'm British but I live in Italy. I've met some of my direct Italian clients. I haven't met any of my British or other non-Italian clients. So what should I have voted? Yes or No?

[Edited at 2008-11-13 15:36]

Lubain Masum
Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:42
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Yes, I traveled abroad to meet my clients Nov 13, 2008

In August this year, I went to New Delhi from Dhaka and met some of my regular clients and fellow translators. It was very exciting for me. I personally visited the office of one of my clients in the center of New Delhi's commercial area and met my regular project manager as well as other staff including the founder of the company. We talked on various issues related to our profession and personal interests. We took photograph together.

One of my clients came to Hotel Le Meridien w
... See more
In August this year, I went to New Delhi from Dhaka and met some of my regular clients and fellow translators. It was very exciting for me. I personally visited the office of one of my clients in the center of New Delhi's commercial area and met my regular project manager as well as other staff including the founder of the company. We talked on various issues related to our profession and personal interests. We took photograph together.

One of my clients came to Hotel Le Meridien where I stayed. We talked about business and future collaboration issues. He gave me his company CDs and how he and his staff are working hard to establish their company. We took photographs on the hotel lobby and exchanged business cards.

I also met one of my fellow translators, although not in my language pair, but I learned about her reading her posts on proz.com. She was as lively as her posts. We took photographs and shared our thoughts and interests passing time in a McDonald restaurant in Kasturba Gandhi Marg area.

I am curious to know how many of you traveled abroad to meet your clients and how many of your clients traveled to your country to meet you. However, the question was shortened by the proz.com staff. Well, I should note that I did not go to New Delhi only to meet my clients. I went there on a different program but one of my priority issues was to meet my clients and fellow translators. I feel sad that I could not meet one of my Delhi based colleagues, who works in my pair and often cooperates on many issues, because he was out of the town at that time.
Collapse

Lubain Masum
Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Make it simple Nov 13, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

Does "foreign" mean "not my nationality" or does it mean "not in my country"?

[Edited at 2008-11-13 15:36]

Foreign clients mean clients who are not the residents of your country of residence.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
OK, now I understand Nov 13, 2008

Lubain Masum wrote:

I am curious to know how many of you traveled abroad to meet your clients and how many of your clients traveled to your country to meet you. However, the question was shortened by the proz.com staff.

Lubain Masum wrote:

Foreign clients mean clients who are not the residents of your country of residence.

One of those cases where the changes made by Proz staff rendered the question ambiguous, unfortunately! Clearly I should have voted "no", in that case. I've only met my clients in the country I've been living in (now I remember, not only Italy but also a Luxembourgish client in Luxembourg, while I was living there).

Venkatesh Sundaram
Venkatesh Sundaram  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:12
German to English
Very occcasionally - but what about those whom one interprets for? Nov 13, 2008

It has happened only on a couple of occasions.

Only last month however I met the husband of a good client of mine, who was on a business trip in my country - to try to help him out with some matters (not language - related!). Would that count Lubain Masum? I suppose it wouldn't, though my client specially sent her business card for me!

I suppose those clients who aren't permanently resident in my country - but have met me in connection with language - related work would
... See more
It has happened only on a couple of occasions.

Only last month however I met the husband of a good client of mine, who was on a business trip in my country - to try to help him out with some matters (not language - related!). Would that count Lubain Masum? I suppose it wouldn't, though my client specially sent her business card for me!

I suppose those clients who aren't permanently resident in my country - but have met me in connection with language - related work would count. Another question to Lubain Masum - did you mean to also include those clients for whom one interprets? In that case I would have to add quite a few more!

Despite the ambiguity which is perhaps inherent in such polls, I think they do have their value. In these days of the internet and VOIP telephony, I meet less than half of the clients who are based in my own country or even city! So I guess meeting clients based in other countries is something more memorable.

Best regards,
Venkatesh

[Edited at 2008-11-13 16:29]
Collapse

Alvaro Aliaga
Alvaro Aliaga  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
No, but I will this weekend Nov 13, 2008

I'm really excited about it

Leo Viëtor
Leo Viëtor
Netherlands
English to Dutch
No, but I have seen pictures of them Nov 13, 2008

I was also instructed on what and how to translate using Skype. So I've talked to my client.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
No Nov 13, 2008

Neither am I interested in doing so in the futur.

Maria Isabel Pazos Gómez
Maria Isabel Pazos Gómez  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, but only for interpreting jobs Nov 13, 2008

Logically you or they have to travel sometimes...

Mabel

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
yes Nov 13, 2008

Of course. If the project is large, usually the CEO meets/visits the translation office.
Last year the CEO from pharmaceutical company arrived from Vienna, and when our main client from Japan visited Hungary, I was glad to meet him in person. If continuous cooperation/framework agreement, it is always better to visit the client, for knowing and understanding each other better. I like these meetings.

[Módosítva: 2008-11-13 20:10]

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:42
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Yes Nov 13, 2008

I regularly visit my clients in Argentina, though that is quite nearby, and once an American client came to visit me as well.

But I'm only talking about end clients, I haven't had the chance to meet anyone from the translation agencies for whom I have worked, though I would absolutely LOVE to.

I think I'll definitely consider doing so in the future

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
No, but I'm really looking forward to it Nov 13, 2008

I'm really looking forward to meeting two of them. And both of them are in the same country and my sister leaves in the same country, so it is just a matter of time (with 3 babies... a matter of time, might be a bit far away in time... but it doesn't matter!)

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:42
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Involving the customer Nov 13, 2008

Yes.

I live in the U.K. I work from DE>EN.

I encouraged some 'foreign clients' to attend Powwows in Germany. I had the impression that they were not disappointed.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
question Nov 14, 2008

Bin Tiede wrote:

Neither am I interested in doing so in the futur.

May I ask why?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever met your foreign clients in person?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »