Poll: When did you start working on your current project(s)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 26, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When did you start working on your current project(s)?".

This poll was originally submitted by JaneTranslates

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each tim
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When did you start working on your current project(s)?".

This poll was originally submitted by JaneTranslates

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Local time: 11:59
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
other .... Nov 26, 2008

waiting for the ok of the client .... I hope tomorrow

Lubain Masum
Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:59
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Other Nov 26, 2008

I am currently working on several projects! I have started a big project on Friday to be delivered tomorrow. I have worked on several projects between these periods. Right now, I have two small projects to be delivered tomorrow as well. I am sure I will have to work on some more small projects for tomorrow. Rather than working on a big project for long time, I work on small projects in the intervals to meet urgent demands of the clients and also to relieve the boredom. It also helps me to refres... See more
I am currently working on several projects! I have started a big project on Friday to be delivered tomorrow. I have worked on several projects between these periods. Right now, I have two small projects to be delivered tomorrow as well. I am sure I will have to work on some more small projects for tomorrow. Rather than working on a big project for long time, I work on small projects in the intervals to meet urgent demands of the clients and also to relieve the boredom. It also helps me to refresh myself and when I am back to the big project and read earlier translations, I find new words and strong expressions to improve the quality of translation.Collapse

andres-larsen
andres-larsen
Venezuela
Spanish to English
+ ...
I am not working on any current projects Nov 26, 2008

I am not working on any current projects

Helena Genel
Helena Genel
United States
Local time: 02:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
More than 3 weeks ago Nov 26, 2008

But I´m almost done, thank God!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
About 5 days ago Nov 26, 2008

I'm talking about a medium-sized project, though (20k words approx.), and I'm not counting the smallish assignments I get every few days (which can range from 500 to 2,000 words each).

Andrea

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
I m curious as to the point of this seeemingly banale question.... ?! Nov 26, 2008

what's the point? who cares? why does it matter?
Do others feel the same way, or is it just me?

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:59
English to Croatian
+ ...
You're not alone Nov 27, 2008

Comunican wrote:

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Actually, it was the perfect timing for this question :-) Nov 27, 2008

Why? Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day. Everybody is taking off to visit family. Project managers went into a frenzy today cleaning their desks and assigning jobs to make sure that everything will be taken care of by Monday morning when they return to work.

The result? I didn't get ANYTHING done today. Instead, I was answering emails. So, my answer is: I SHOULD have started work, but I didn't get to it.

I guess, I will turn off the computer, hop into the kitchen and start
... See more
Why? Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day. Everybody is taking off to visit family. Project managers went into a frenzy today cleaning their desks and assigning jobs to make sure that everything will be taken care of by Monday morning when they return to work.

The result? I didn't get ANYTHING done today. Instead, I was answering emails. So, my answer is: I SHOULD have started work, but I didn't get to it.

I guess, I will turn off the computer, hop into the kitchen and start preparing the Thanksgiving dinner, like everybody else.

Pointless question? No way! Not on the day before Turkey Day.
Thanks, Jane!

Collapse

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 11:59
English to French
+ ...
One thing you forget Nov 27, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I guess, I will turn off the computer, hop into the kitchen and start preparing the Thanksgiving dinner, like everybody else.

Pointless question? No way! Not on the day before Turkey Day.
Thanks, Jane!

Not every country in the world celebrates Thanksgiving. Even Canada celebrates at a different time (2nd Monday of October)...

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I didn't forget :-) Nov 27, 2008

I am German and the Germans celebrated Thanksgiving weeks ago, for example.

All too often poll questions are labeled pointless, boring or banal. You can't please everybody at once. As a US translator, however, I find this poll and its timing to the point and it made me smile.

Edited for typo

[Edited at 2008-11-27 06:58 GMT]

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Other... Nov 27, 2008

I will be starting it in about 1 hour after taking my daughter to school.

That's if she actually manages to finish her breakfast, which she started about 50 minutes ago.

And this is what it is like virtually every day.

Why did such a time-conscious person like me end up with a procrastinating slow coach for a child?

Nathalie White
Nathalie White  Identity Verified
Ireland
English to French
+ ...
Not working on any current project either... Nov 27, 2008

I was supposed to start working on a 8K project but it has just been cancelled by the company and all other related projects I was also meant to work on throughout December have all been cancelled too by this company.

Reason: credit crunch, no more budget
Result: translation activities will only resume in Jan 09

Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed as these projects represented a steady monthly income for me. It seems December will be a quiet one!
... See more
I was supposed to start working on a 8K project but it has just been cancelled by the company and all other related projects I was also meant to work on throughout December have all been cancelled too by this company.

Reason: credit crunch, no more budget
Result: translation activities will only resume in Jan 09

Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed as these projects represented a steady monthly income for me. It seems December will be a quiet one!

Ah, well, c'est la vie ! At least, I'll have more time to read and send CVs, fill out application forms, etc.)
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
They changed my poll! Nov 28, 2008

Comunican wrote:

This is not the quick poll question I suggested! Probably Communican and Kemal will never see this, since they surely are not tracking a poll they found banal. And Nicole--I'm delighted that it made you smile, but I'm afraid I don't deserve your thanks.

I don't remember how I worded my suggestion, but ProZ staff apparently found it unclear and rewrote it.

The question I meant to ask was regarding work habits. I think I wrote something like "How long has it been since you were working on your current project?" In other words, how long have you been goofing off/taking a break/checking out ProZ.com? Are you procrastinating, or taking a much-needed, or did you, perhaps, just return from a holiday?

In other words, were you working on a project 5 minutes ago? Or haven't you touched it in hours? Or days?

You can see my difficulty in finding a way to express the poll. I didn't mean to suggest that there's anything wrong with one or another of the options. Most of my projects are large, and I occasionally set a project aside for several days and do laundry or watch movies or catch up on sleep, in the hopes that my mind will be refreshed when I return.

I was simply trying to find out more about how my colleagues live and work. That is, perhaps, just as banal as what the staff did to my suggestion.

There's room for a vast variety of polls. Each of us will find some of them totally uninteresting. I'm not apologizing for trying to ask something that I was curious about.

In fact, I think I just thought of a better way to express it, so I'm going to try again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When did you start working on your current project(s)?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »