Poll: Do you send/receive season's greetings to/from clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 25, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you send/receive season's greetings to/from clients?".

This poll was originally submitted by Giuseppina Gatta

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see:
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you send/receive season's greetings to/from clients?".

This poll was originally submitted by Giuseppina Gatta

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:35
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just a few Dec 25, 2008

A few of the agencies I work for send out mass-mailed year-end e-cards. Mostly they're presented as New Year's greetings, which is a good solution. One or two send specifically Christmas-oriented cards, which I always find a bit presumptuous since they have no reason to think I'm Christian. But mostly they're New Year's cards, which I'm glad to receive.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 18:35
English to French
+ ...
Send+receive Dec 25, 2008

Some also invite a handful of their suppliers (translators) to a New Year banquet

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:35
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oops Dec 25, 2008

Now I feel like a rat because I didn't send any cards to my clients!

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Send + receive Dec 25, 2008

I am very affectioned to some of my clients, the ones which I have had for many years, and which have become friends. So, when I send them presents, I do it with gratitude and joy, not only because is something that should be done, or because of the tradition, etc.

I also have one client which does not celebrate Christmas, but they are still happy to receive a little present.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Send and receive Dec 25, 2008

I regard sending greetings cards at this time of year as an investment. In fact, it's the only form of "advertising" I indulge in but it is well worthwhile. Many of my clients don't send me more than a couple of jobs a year so the festive season is a good time to remind them that I'm still in business. I send proper cards by snail mail and they are very well received because so few people bother nowadays.

Steve makes a good point, though. Religion is best left to the private sphere.
... See more
I regard sending greetings cards at this time of year as an investment. In fact, it's the only form of "advertising" I indulge in but it is well worthwhile. Many of my clients don't send me more than a couple of jobs a year so the festive season is a good time to remind them that I'm still in business. I send proper cards by snail mail and they are very well received because so few people bother nowadays.

Steve makes a good point, though. Religion is best left to the private sphere. In a business context, you're rather forced back on generic "season's greetings" (even "new year's greetings" might not be appropriate since not everybody celebrates the new year on 1 January).

I am lucky enough to live in a lovely town in the north of Italy so to make my "season's greetings" a little less lame, I send cards illustrated with old prints of historic parts of the town centre, which are widely available in local stationery shops at affordable prices. The recipients seem to like them.

FWIW

Giles
Collapse

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:35
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Other Dec 26, 2008

I have received a season's greeting from an agency which hasn't given me any job

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Only received, but... Dec 26, 2008

I am against exchange of such greeting cards with people you are in regular contact with. I received some, but replied only one, thanking for the gift in the value of USD 100.00 that was attached.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:35
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
greetings but no work! Dec 26, 2008

I got quite a few email greetings...many from companies who didn't give me any work! I'd have preferred the work, since I don't celebrate xmas. I did get a few cards in the mail from clients in the area. One arrived Xmas eve with a cheque! that was nice because I'd been wondering if I'd get any more payments before the 25.

I didn't send any though...it just didn't occur to me!

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
not only Dec 27, 2008

Since 2005, when the office was established, I send greetings to all of our translators and invited a top 5, last year the top 12, this year the top 20 translators to the Christmas dinner. Top 50 of the customers have received a small Christmas present - a special Christmas CD (Christian sings Sinatra songs) issued by the office only in 250 copies. The young 18-year-old singer Christian Lakatos (I think you will hear his name soon in USA in a new Sinatra show in Las Vegas), one of the winners of... See more
Since 2005, when the office was established, I send greetings to all of our translators and invited a top 5, last year the top 12, this year the top 20 translators to the Christmas dinner. Top 50 of the customers have received a small Christmas present - a special Christmas CD (Christian sings Sinatra songs) issued by the office only in 250 copies. The young 18-year-old singer Christian Lakatos (I think you will hear his name soon in USA in a new Sinatra show in Las Vegas), one of the winners of a competition of Hungarian broadcasting company TV2 was invited to this special event.
I just want to repeat what I told the translators: "without you the office would not be exist, would not win anything, all my dreams would not come true, please, receive all of this as a small expression of my gratefulness and my special thank you for all your sacrifized nights".

[img]http://www.czopyk.hu/[/img]

Next year I have a special plan to organize a fancy dress-ball in February ball season for all our translators available and able to travel to Budapest - I think it might be a really funny event

[Módosítva: 2008-12-27 22:36 GMT]

[Módosítva: 2008-12-27 22:38 GMT]

[Módosítva: 2008-12-27 22:42 GMT] No way to stick the picture, you can see them at www.czopyk.hu

[Módosítva: 2008-12-27 22:54 GMT]
Collapse

José Gralike (X)
José Gralike (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
Why 'other'? Dec 28, 2008

Because I usually do not send any, but to some clients I do, via e-mail or real paper mail

ETA: and I exchange best wishes with clients in December and January, when mailing about jobs.

Both things go both ways.

[Edited at 2008-12-28 09:48 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you send/receive season's greetings to/from clients?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »