Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:56
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

There are some great song translations out there Jan 8, 2009

I remember way back when ABBA released an album in Spanish. It must have been during the 70s as I was still a child, but to this day, whenever I hear "Thank you for the music" the Spanish lyrics keep coming to my lips. In fact, when the movie Mamma Mia premiered here in Uruguay many of us in the audience were singing along in Spanish, we had a blast!
And I think whoever was in charge of those translations did a great job of it...
See more
I remember way back when ABBA released an album in Spanish. It must have been during the 70s as I was still a child, but to this day, whenever I hear "Thank you for the music" the Spanish lyrics keep coming to my lips. In fact, when the movie Mamma Mia premiered here in Uruguay many of us in the audience were singing along in Spanish, we had a blast!
And I think whoever was in charge of those translations did a great job of it
Cheers!
Laureana
Collapse

bookwormkt
bookwormkt
Local time: 17:56
French to English
+ ...
Just a simple song in to French for my class at Special School. Jan 8, 2009

I did it completely 'off the cuff' and it worked really well (even though I say so myself)! A child asked me 'Can we sing that in French', so we did!!

Visitors to the school were always amazed to see the children sing so happily in French (and other languages). I had a bigger problem getting the adults to sing in French etc, as they were much more self conscious.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:56
Portuguese to English
+ ...
many Jan 9, 2009

I've translated many songs.
It was a big part of my learning Spanish and Portuguese, in all truth.
Listening, finding the lyrics, translating them, singing along, learning them on my guitar, even.

Roberto Carlos, Raimundo Fagner and Caetano Veloso were my best Portuguese teachers!

[Edited at 2009-01-09 03:10 GMT]

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:56
English to Indonesian
+ ...
For fun only Jan 9, 2009

Some times I translated a song or two just for fun, to understand more of the songs, not for any client.

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:56
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Nearly all Pink Floyd's... Jan 9, 2009

...and also U2's, when I was 14. Obviously I did a lousy job, but I enjoyed a lot. I was so curious to know what was all that fuss Roger Waters was about
Gianni

[Edited at 2009-01-09 07:39 GMT]

Els Hoefman
Els Hoefman  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Song lyrics Jan 9, 2009

I have translated songs and even book and lyrics for a musical. I also write lyrics for new songs (mainly for childrens choirs or musical theatre). I do think you need to know something about music and singing to do so. Sometimes lyrics look good on paper but when you sing them you discover that parts do not sound good, for instance a vowel like an e or an ay on a very long note or words that cannot be pronounced properly in fast parts of the song. I enjoy translating songs very much, but I don'... See more
I have translated songs and even book and lyrics for a musical. I also write lyrics for new songs (mainly for childrens choirs or musical theatre). I do think you need to know something about music and singing to do so. Sometimes lyrics look good on paper but when you sing them you discover that parts do not sound good, for instance a vowel like an e or an ay on a very long note or words that cannot be pronounced properly in fast parts of the song. I enjoy translating songs very much, but I don't think it could be very profitable (the projects I've done were mainly for things I was involved in myself, or for friends). It often takes a very long time to come up with the right translation. Also, you sometimes need some time to think about certain phrases (and the translation will come to you while you're washing the dishes). You would have to charge by the hour and there is no way of knowing how many hours you would need. Still, I am waiting for the first professional musicians or theatre company to knock on my door with an interesting project!
I do get jobs on the basis of my experiences in translating and writing lyrics: clients have given me assignments for creative translations (such as commercials), which of course I also enjoy.
Collapse

Marga Demmers (X)
Marga Demmers (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Yes, working at one right now Jan 9, 2009

A few days ago the band 'Mango' (jazz and world music) asked if I could translate a Catalan song into Dutch for them, because they wanted to fully understand what they were singing.

As it turned out, they have made a cover of 'Cançó de Na Ruixa Mantells', a poem by the Mallorcan poet Miquel Costa i Llobera which is put to music and sung by Maria del Mar Bonet. Doing this job I have a big smile on my face, because Catalan literature is very rarely translated into Dutch and 'la Bon
... See more
A few days ago the band 'Mango' (jazz and world music) asked if I could translate a Catalan song into Dutch for them, because they wanted to fully understand what they were singing.

As it turned out, they have made a cover of 'Cançó de Na Ruixa Mantells', a poem by the Mallorcan poet Miquel Costa i Llobera which is put to music and sung by Maria del Mar Bonet. Doing this job I have a big smile on my face, because Catalan literature is very rarely translated into Dutch and 'la Bonet', my favourite artist, is unjustly quite unknown here in the Netherlands. So you can imagine I am enjoying myself immensely!
Collapse

Melzie
Melzie
French to English
+ ...
Days of the week Jan 9, 2009

I run an English club for my children's school. It is important for me to latch on to things they already know as well as introducing new stuff. So here is my translation of a well-known French song to learn the days.

Monday morning, the king, the queen and the little prince,
Came over to my house to give me a big kiss.
As I had gone out,
Princy gave a shout,
Goodbye, au'revoir and I'll see you Tuesday.

Tuesday morning etc.

Up to Sun
... See more
I run an English club for my children's school. It is important for me to latch on to things they already know as well as introducing new stuff. So here is my translation of a well-known French song to learn the days.

Monday morning, the king, the queen and the little prince,
Came over to my house to give me a big kiss.
As I had gone out,
Princy gave a shout,
Goodbye, au'revoir and I'll see you Tuesday.

Tuesday morning etc.

Up to Sunday, when we finish off with:

Goodbye, au'revoir and it's adieu to you.

à la Sound of Music

They love doing the actions. Adults get quite keen too.

Feel free....
Collapse

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is SO impressive! Jan 9, 2009

Congratulations! I see that I'm surrounded by truly talented people!

And I also understand the pleasure you felt, Gianni, Ikrman and others...

Great poll, Andrzej.

L

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:56
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
A song for the European Tour of a rap singer Jan 9, 2009

It was (on purpose) obscene beyond belief. Because the singer neither speaks German nor is skilled in reading phonetic transcriptions, I had to transliterate the German version of the lyrics. And I had my husband who doesn't speak German either read this text over and over until it sounded right.

Adventures in translation...

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:56
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Of course...but never professionally. Jan 9, 2009

I think that translating songs or verses is a normal part of everyday life, but I've never translated a complete song professionally, for money. I've translated various transcribed dialogues with lyrical content and very expressive linguistic content, but never a whole song for a known band/artist/singer.

Would I jump at the chance? Probably, because of the artistic nature and the varied type of work, although I would have to consider the financial implications, just as a formality
... See more
I think that translating songs or verses is a normal part of everyday life, but I've never translated a complete song professionally, for money. I've translated various transcribed dialogues with lyrical content and very expressive linguistic content, but never a whole song for a known band/artist/singer.

Would I jump at the chance? Probably, because of the artistic nature and the varied type of work, although I would have to consider the financial implications, just as a formality of course.

Cheers
Collapse

Rodrigo Mencía
Rodrigo Mencía  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have a band Jan 9, 2009

I have a band called LINK (http://www.myspace.com/linkofficial) and we usually write our songs in English. SOMETIMES we adapt them into Spanish or other languages, but it's never "translation". Songs usually tell the same, and each line maintains the original meaning, but words are, of course, completely different.

... See more
I have a band called LINK (http://www.myspace.com/linkofficial) and we usually write our songs in English. SOMETIMES we adapt them into Spanish or other languages, but it's never "translation". Songs usually tell the same, and each line maintains the original meaning, but words are, of course, completely different.

Hope you like our music!

Roy
Collapse

Сергей Лузан
Сергей Лузан
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:56
German to Russian
+ ...
Yes, I have. Jan 9, 2009

I translated lyrics from American, Spanisch & German movies rhymed into Russian. I also translated a song from movie melodrama "Kuka" into English. Everything was paid flat-rate, no additional rates for rhyming.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:56
Flemish to English
+ ...
Wild boys Jan 9, 2009

At the request of my Spanish host : "Wild boys" into Spanish.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
weddig (mother-daughter etc.) song Jan 9, 2009

I am translating now three songs from English to Hungarian. We do not have any similar father-daughter songs/dances or mother-daughter songs/dances and this is my special present to my old-old-old girlfriend's daugter's wedding day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBjcCk-uIZQ
(
... See more
I am translating now three songs from English to Hungarian. We do not have any similar father-daughter songs/dances or mother-daughter songs/dances and this is my special present to my old-old-old girlfriend's daugter's wedding day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBjcCk-uIZQ
(Every mother's dream)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLS0Y40WwlA
(In my daughter's eyes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLlUnUICQM
(The man you've become) maybe this songs is the closest to me as my oldest son is intend to marry soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EbgKso_ur8
(The angel in my arms)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever translated a song?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »