https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/125680-poll%3A_how_does_the_amount_of_words_you_translate_per_hour_in_the_morning_compare_to_the_rest_of_the_day.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: How does the amount of words you translate per hour in the morning compare to the rest of the day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 22, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How does the amount of words you translate per hour in the morning compare to the rest of the day?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ryan Montcalm

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a ne
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How does the amount of words you translate per hour in the morning compare to the rest of the day?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ryan Montcalm

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

andres-larsen
andres-larsen
Venezuela
Local time: 04:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
I really get going around noon until midnight Jan 22, 2009

I really get going with my translating around noon until midnight

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:52
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Not very noticeable as a translator but... Jan 22, 2009

... when I was working as a teacher the difference between morning and afternoon was amazing.

It wasn't so much that I was less productive but that most of the kids seemed completely lethargic and unmotivated.

In the schools I taught, the children (12-17) attended classes either in the morning or in the afternoon, not both, so their lack of energy wasn't because they were tired after many classes. And this pattern kept repeating itself year after year after year.
... See more
... when I was working as a teacher the difference between morning and afternoon was amazing.

It wasn't so much that I was less productive but that most of the kids seemed completely lethargic and unmotivated.

In the schools I taught, the children (12-17) attended classes either in the morning or in the afternoon, not both, so their lack of energy wasn't because they were tired after many classes. And this pattern kept repeating itself year after year after year.

So far, the results of this poll that this is not only a problem with kids, but also with professional translators

Cheers!
Collapse

lillkakan
lillkakan
Local time: 10:52
English to Swedish
Other Jan 22, 2009

I hardly ever translate in the morning (assuming you mean 8-11 am or something like that) and if I do it's not at the start of my wake cycle (assuming again that's what is implied).

Nighttime is the most productive for me. No disturbances. Also the very first couple of hours after waking up and still on an empty stomach (regardless of time of day), preferrably -very- early, around 3-5 am or so.

Daniela Koleva
Daniela Koleva  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Is it only me? Jan 22, 2009

I wonder if there are other people like me... I am most productive and can get really focused in the evening and the night. I was like this even at school. When I had to write an assay I would always leave it for late evening (after 10 pm).

In the morning I'm still sleeping and I need at least couple of hours till I'm completely awake and able to work... Then in the afternoon I get easily distracted... And when the clock strikes 8 pm I can start working absolutely focused.
<
... See more
I wonder if there are other people like me... I am most productive and can get really focused in the evening and the night. I was like this even at school. When I had to write an assay I would always leave it for late evening (after 10 pm).

In the morning I'm still sleeping and I need at least couple of hours till I'm completely awake and able to work... Then in the afternoon I get easily distracted... And when the clock strikes 8 pm I can start working absolutely focused.

Of course if I have a rush job (sometimes clients want their translation done the same day or even in a couple of hours) I get organized pretty fast, but if I'm let on my own I would prefer to work in the evening/night.

I guess I'm just a night owl....
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
no I'm a night owl too Jan 22, 2009

I am at my most productive in the afternoon and evening, even up to late at night. I'd rather be up late working and then sleep late...

especially at this time of year when it's still dark at 7 am, ugh! I've always been a nocturnal type, even as a kid. I am NOT a morning person at all. THe later it gets the sharper I get.

I suppose if I had kids, and got up early I'd work when they were at school. I'd have no choice! but being single, no kids, living alone, I can work a
... See more
I am at my most productive in the afternoon and evening, even up to late at night. I'd rather be up late working and then sleep late...

especially at this time of year when it's still dark at 7 am, ugh! I've always been a nocturnal type, even as a kid. I am NOT a morning person at all. THe later it gets the sharper I get.

I suppose if I had kids, and got up early I'd work when they were at school. I'd have no choice! but being single, no kids, living alone, I can work at my own weird hours.
Collapse

L. K.
L. K.  Identity Verified
Finland
English to Swedish
Noon? Jan 22, 2009

What is this before noon I keep hearing about?

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
I rarely even get up before noon Jan 22, 2009

One of the benefits of freelancing

And it should be "number of words," not "amount."

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Uhmmm morning person? night person? Jan 22, 2009

I definitely translate a lot faster and a lot better in the morning. I get up at 7:30, shower and get dressed and sit down in front of the computer at 8:00 with my coffee. From there till lunch time (about 2:00/2:30) I am really productive. After that, I start slowing down.

So I guess I am a morning person... and then again, on Saturdays when I go partying, I can stay the whole night out. So I guess I am also a night person...
See more
I definitely translate a lot faster and a lot better in the morning. I get up at 7:30, shower and get dressed and sit down in front of the computer at 8:00 with my coffee. From there till lunch time (about 2:00/2:30) I am really productive. After that, I start slowing down.

So I guess I am a morning person... and then again, on Saturdays when I go partying, I can stay the whole night out. So I guess I am also a night person
Collapse

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Morning Jan 22, 2009

Same as Penelope. I'm faster during the morning (the earlier, the better!) and then in the evening, say after 6, until about midnight.

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Probably morning Jan 22, 2009

I don't really time or measure myself, so I'm not actually sure. I do a lot of my work in the afternoons and evenings, as that's when I tend to have time (I sometimes have other commitments in the mornings). But I think that I am more productive in the mornings in the sense that my concentration is probably at its best.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:22
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Time of the day is immaterial Jan 23, 2009

It is immaterial to me at what time of the day I am translating, the output is the same.

The output depends more, in my case, on what I am translating. If it is technical stuff requiring frequent trips to the reference tomes on my shelf, it will naturally take longer. If it is a subject that I like to translate, then my fingers fly on the keyboard. The language also matters, I enjoy translating into Hindi than into English, though I am bilingual in these languages, and translate bot
... See more
It is immaterial to me at what time of the day I am translating, the output is the same.

The output depends more, in my case, on what I am translating. If it is technical stuff requiring frequent trips to the reference tomes on my shelf, it will naturally take longer. If it is a subject that I like to translate, then my fingers fly on the keyboard. The language also matters, I enjoy translating into Hindi than into English, though I am bilingual in these languages, and translate bothways.

Getting around to starting the work is more of a problem with me, but once I am on my way, I soon attain top speed, no matter what time of the day (or night) it is.
Collapse

Kathryn Litherland
Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
right before the deadline Jan 23, 2009

I am at my most productive 2 hours before the project is due. Sometimes this is 6:30 in the morning, sometimes it is 5 in the afternoon.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm neither an early bird nor a night owl. My husband gets up around 5:15 am, and this is not for me! But I can get up at 6:30 am, pour myself a cup of coffee, and immediately begin to work--and work effectively. I can also work effectively at 11 pm (
... See more
I am at my most productive 2 hours before the project is due. Sometimes this is 6:30 in the morning, sometimes it is 5 in the afternoon.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm neither an early bird nor a night owl. My husband gets up around 5:15 am, and this is not for me! But I can get up at 6:30 am, pour myself a cup of coffee, and immediately begin to work--and work effectively. I can also work effectively at 11 pm (though usually not both on the same day!)

I suppose in the best of all possible worlds my workday would be something like 10 am to 6 pm--that is perhaps my "best" window.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:52
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other: depends on many factors Jan 23, 2009

The speed with which I translate depends on many factors, such as language combination, subject matter, how much research I have to do, etc. I have translated 4-6 pages an hour but I have also spent an hour on just one paragraph. Time of day is not an important factor.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Definitely in the morning Jan 23, 2009

I get up at 6 am at the latest, do some work, see my daughter off to school before 8 and then work hard and fast until about 10. Then I go for a longish walk and go back to work until my daughter comes come at around 3 pm or later. I find it quite useless to work after 4 or 5 pm, since I loose concentration and slow down.

I usually just have a quick lunch at my desk since I don't want to loose too much of that precious time when I work best.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How does the amount of words you translate per hour in the morning compare to the rest of the day?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »