Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Poll: Professionally, what motivates you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 27, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Professionally, what motivates you?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:30
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
It's a mixture of all. Jan 27, 2009

To me it's a mixture of all three, making as a whole. Additionally, love of the languages.

Maria Melnik
Maria Melnik  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:30
English to French
Other: recognition from readers Jan 27, 2009

When I translate fiction the most important people for me are future readers. Their enjoyment is my primary motivation. I "follow" every book I have translated for years, I check on the Internet and ask the publishers about readers reviews, profesional reviews, sales etc. When you translate a book, it is not just a project, it is always personal .

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:30
Flemish to English
+ ...
Not so difficult Jan 27, 2009

The content of a job does not matter, the amount of money it pays or the perks it brings with it. But money first. I don't mind being a garbage collector as long as this would be me at least a Eurocratic salary.
2.Recognition: in second place.

Josée Desbiens
Josée Desbiens
Canada
English to French
A combination also... Jan 27, 2009

...plus the fact that I don't have to go out every morning for work))

[Modifié le 2009-01-27 18:10 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
A bit from all Jan 27, 2009

so one answer possibility is definitely missing.

Mónica Belén Colacilli
Mónica Belén Colacilli  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:30
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Being well-paid and recognition by clients go hand in hand Jan 27, 2009

In my opinion, being well-paid is only a great motivation when working (comfortable) for nice clients, those who recognize your job. Otherwise, I don't feel motivated. No doubt it's also motivating being recognized by colleagues. And also, being able to cooperate with a colleague who needs help, or being able to help when a non-profit organization or someone needs from our services for a good cause at no cost. I thank God for my profession, which I love and really enjoy.

[Editado a las 20
... See more
In my opinion, being well-paid is only a great motivation when working (comfortable) for nice clients, those who recognize your job. Otherwise, I don't feel motivated. No doubt it's also motivating being recognized by colleagues. And also, being able to cooperate with a colleague who needs help, or being able to help when a non-profit organization or someone needs from our services for a good cause at no cost. I thank God for my profession, which I love and really enjoy.

[Editado a las 2009-01-27 19:41 GMT]
Collapse

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
A combination Jan 27, 2009

Like several of you, I am motivated by several factors. Being well-paid is certainly nice, but it isn't my sole motivation. I am more driven by client satisfaction, among other things.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nice question Jan 27, 2009

I agree with others that it’s really a combination of things, but my number one answer would have to be the money.

I’ve managed to keep a family of five afloat for the last 10 years (in one of the most expensive cities in Spain) based on translation work.

The day I can´t do that will be the day I close shop and find some other way to earn an income.

Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Difficult to decide on only one answer... Jan 27, 2009

Like many of you, I think it's a combination of all the aspects. And I truly believe that most translators' main motivation is not money (or am I being naive here?). Although, of course, I also have to earn my living (and that of my children) without having a husband to provide for us.

The love of languages is a main driving factor for this profession in my opinion. And then it makes you proud to be well-paid as a recognition of the client.

bookwormkt
bookwormkt
Local time: 09:30
French to English
+ ...
Other - a combination of factors. Jan 27, 2009

Amongst which is satisfaction that
I have enabled someone to understand what has been written or said in another language.
I have enables someone to communicate ideas/exchange ideas with someone who does not speak their language.
Being paid would be nice....but I have only just started translation/interpreting for money, after years of doing it for family and friends free of charge.

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Business is business! Jan 27, 2009

My motto is "Make good money and keep clients coming back!"

Of course, I would love it if I could work only in my favorite field (i.e., psychology), but money comes first, so I often have to pass some lovely projects to a reliable colleague.

Now, IF I WON THE LOTTERY... I would translate for free for psychology students and psychoanalysts
... See more
My motto is "Make good money and keep clients coming back!"

Of course, I would love it if I could work only in my favorite field (i.e., psychology), but money comes first, so I often have to pass some lovely projects to a reliable colleague.

Now, IF I WON THE LOTTERY... I would translate for free for psychology students and psychoanalysts!!!

Have a nice day, guys.
Collapse

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:30
English to Latvian
+ ...
other: loving my job Jan 27, 2009

Apart from being well-paid and getting recognition from clients, which are, of course, very important factors and play a significant role to me, the main motivating factor is the fact that I am deeply 'in love' with my job. It combines everything I ever wanted from my ideal job, so I am happy I have found the right job for me that I am satisfied with to the maximum.

Barbara Turchetto
Barbara Turchetto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
German to Italian
+ ...
I like it! Jan 27, 2009

Of course all the answers play a role but what really motivates me is that I love doing this job. I like it when I have a new text and I am the one who can make other people understand it. It's great!
Unfortunately it's not always well-paid...but what if I had to get up early every morning and leave home to do a job I don't like?

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:30
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I picked "other" Jan 27, 2009

I love the idea of making something accessible to people who otherwise wouldn't be able to understand it. Also love working with words, ideas, concepts...

As a job, the thing I like best about being a freelancer is that I can live anywhere in the world as long as I have my laptop (Mac) and a broadband internet connection. To me, this really spells F R E E D O M.

And the money isn't bad, either.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Professionally, what motivates you?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »