Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: Workwise, was January the slowest you have had in years?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 6, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Workwise, was January the slowest you have had in years?".

This poll was originally submitted by Alan Corbo

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Workwise, was January the slowest you have had in years?".

This poll was originally submitted by Alan Corbo

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:55
German to French
+ ...
No Feb 6, 2009

The slowest I had was October.

Carina Tschaitschmann
Carina Tschaitschmann
Austria
English to German
+ ...
Yes Feb 6, 2009

The last couple of weeks in January were really slow, glad it's been picking up again this month, got me worried there for a little while...

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:55
French to English
+ ...
busier than ever Feb 6, 2009

January was my best month (in terms of quantity of work and therefore money) since I started freelancing over four years ago. February is a bit slower so far, and before Christmas work was quite patchy, so I'm not trying to brag, just telling it how it is.

Edit: I take it back, it looks like February may well be just as busy, judging by the work coming in today.

[Edited at 2009-02-06 12:44 GMT]

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Busier than ever Feb 6, 2009

Against all odds (or so it seems), this January has been my busiest January and so were December, November, October and September.

I'm definitely a happy camper nowadays!

[Edited at 2009-02-06 12:42 GMT]

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 10:55
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Very busy Feb 6, 2009

December and January have been two of my busiest months in year.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed
Have a nice day!
Laureana

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
Busiest month ever Feb 6, 2009

with probably 80% of work from one customer.

Giuliana Mafrica
Giuliana Mafrica  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
No Feb 6, 2009

It seems that things are getting better, after a real "annus horribilis" like the last one...

Virginie GUEDON (X)
Virginie GUEDON (X)  Identity Verified
France
Italian to French
+ ...
difficult to say Feb 6, 2009

It is difficult for me to answer because I am a new independant translator.
January was my first month of work.
I have discovered this site and I have been really surprised by the number of jobs proposed.
And I also have had a first order !
I hope it will go on like that and it can only increase for me.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sort of Feb 6, 2009

I answered yes but "could be" would be more appropriate. Two years ago we had a really slow January and February, then frantic activity until July/August. Then last year was busy in Jan/Feb.
This may be due to living/working in Valencia, Spain, where business and things in general tend to slow down in winter and speed up again around March with the onset of the Fallas festival.
I assume the poll was posted by someone worried about the lack of activity and the general pessimism arous
... See more
I answered yes but "could be" would be more appropriate. Two years ago we had a really slow January and February, then frantic activity until July/August. Then last year was busy in Jan/Feb.
This may be due to living/working in Valencia, Spain, where business and things in general tend to slow down in winter and speed up again around March with the onset of the Fallas festival.
I assume the poll was posted by someone worried about the lack of activity and the general pessimism aroused by the current economic situation. I know that some of my colleagues have found their work rate dropping off, and that some clients are pushing for rate cuts.
However, I intend to maintain my (reasonable) rates for the rest of this year and hope that things pick up through time. As the song says, "you've got to roll with the punches..."
Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
No... Feb 6, 2009

...but, so far, February is.

m_temmer
m_temmer  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:55
English to Dutch
+ ...
all months are more or less the same Feb 6, 2009

My workflow is very steady, with more offers than I can handle.
I hope it stays that way:-)

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Slow for agency work Feb 6, 2009

My agency work had definitely slowed since December. But my direct work has increased - which is good news as they pay more and more quickly.

Simon Cole
Simon Cole  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
French to English
Crisis, what crisis? Feb 6, 2009

No, definitely not. 2.5 times Jan 2008!

And 2008 I did 60% more volume than 2007, so what does that prove?
So far in 2009, I've done or booked in 13.8 % of 2008 total volume in 10.1% of the year.
If it carries on like this, 2009 will be 37% up on 2008.

Still, God bless the media for talking a problem into a crisis.

Krys Williams
Krys Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Polish to English
+ ...
December Feb 6, 2009

December was the slowest month I've had in years, and I actually had about a week with no jobs whatsoever. I rather enjoyed it since I could read, generally indulge myself and have a good rest. It certainly made a change from the year when an agency emailed me with a job on Christmas Day itself! Just about the time I started feeling the first twinges of anxiety at the start of January, the floodgates opened and I'm currently turning down far more work than I am able to take on, and often working... See more
December was the slowest month I've had in years, and I actually had about a week with no jobs whatsoever. I rather enjoyed it since I could read, generally indulge myself and have a good rest. It certainly made a change from the year when an agency emailed me with a job on Christmas Day itself! Just about the time I started feeling the first twinges of anxiety at the start of January, the floodgates opened and I'm currently turning down far more work than I am able to take on, and often working 15-18 hour days so as not to let down my best regulars.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Workwise, was January the slowest you have had in years?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »