Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you see yourself translating your whole life?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 4, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you see yourself translating your whole life?".

This poll was originally submitted by Alan Corbo

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new p
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you see yourself translating your whole life?".

This poll was originally submitted by Alan Corbo

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:45
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I plan to do so, but Mar 4, 2009

I'm not sure if I could. I never plan that far ahead.

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:45
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes Mar 4, 2009

Yes, that's what I've been doing for years actually.

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:45
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Of course! Mar 4, 2009

I decided to become a translator while still a teenager, and have stuck to this decision for more than 20 years.
There have been some ups and downs, but I am completely satisfied with my chosen profession. I've always been a freelance translator/interpreter, and this has allowed me to do so many things that would have not been possible if I had had a 9 to 5 job.

[Edited at 2009-03-04 13:27 GMT]

Stuart Hoskins
Stuart Hoskins
Local time: 16:45
Czech to English
+ ...
Yes until the robots take over Mar 4, 2009

However, I can imagine myself becoming more of an "administrator" and "reviser" of machine translations in 15-20 years, with true translation work becoming rather thin on the ground. I think we are about to see some astonishing progress (to our economic detriment) when Google Translation Centre and the like get going.

[Edited at 2009-03-04 13:51 GMT]

sarandor
sarandor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:45
English to Russian
+ ...
Good question! Mar 4, 2009

I came into freelancing not because I always wanted to be a freelancer, but because I was stuck (and still am) in Appalachia, which is one of the most economically depressed regions of the United States - with high unemployment rates. But my husband has a great job here, so it's been keeping us in this region. When I started working as a freelance translator, I thought,"Hey, it's not bad!" It's a rewarding career in so many ways that I can see myself doing it for a long run. It's assuring to rea... See more
I came into freelancing not because I always wanted to be a freelancer, but because I was stuck (and still am) in Appalachia, which is one of the most economically depressed regions of the United States - with high unemployment rates. But my husband has a great job here, so it's been keeping us in this region. When I started working as a freelance translator, I thought,"Hey, it's not bad!" It's a rewarding career in so many ways that I can see myself doing it for a long run. It's assuring to read comments from experienced long-time translators, like Laureana.Collapse

Kathryn Litherland
Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
restless soul Mar 4, 2009

On the one hand, I love this line of work probably more than anything I've ever done before. On the other hand, I've had 3 fairly distinct lines of work in the past 20 years, so it's difficult for me to imagine doing essentially the same thing for the next 20. Ten years from now I can definitely see myself transitioning back toward work that involves more contact with humans and less contact with words.

If I'm still living in the Washington DC area, for example, it might be interes
... See more
On the one hand, I love this line of work probably more than anything I've ever done before. On the other hand, I've had 3 fairly distinct lines of work in the past 20 years, so it's difficult for me to imagine doing essentially the same thing for the next 20. Ten years from now I can definitely see myself transitioning back toward work that involves more contact with humans and less contact with words.

If I'm still living in the Washington DC area, for example, it might be interesting to work for a development agency that would make use of my literary and language skills, cultural training, and vast knowledge of plumbing parts. As is evidenced in my recollection of this quote from James Joyce on the grandeur that was Rome:

"What was their civilization? Vast, I allow: but vile. Cloacae: sewers. The Jews in the wilderness and on the mountaintop said: It is meet to be here. Let us build an altar to Jehovah. The Roman, like the Englishman who follows in his footsteps, brought to every new shore on which he set his foot (on our shore he never set it) only his cloacal obsession. He gazed about him in his toga and he said: It is meet to be here. Let us construct a watercloset."
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes please. Mar 4, 2009

I can't imagine leaving the activity altogether ever - even if I were to stop doing it professionally, virtually ever piece of writing I set eyes on I mentally start to translate. Very difficult habit to get out of! Besides, despite any amount of complaining I may do, I love translating!

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe, maybe not... Mar 4, 2009

When I first read the question, the image that came to my mind was of me pulling the petals off a daisy one at a time and saying, "Maybe, maybe not, maybe, maybe not..."

Don't get me wrong, I like translating and make a good living at it, but if something more profitable or interesting came along, I'd certainly consider it.

I already have a part time job/hobby of working as a tour guide at some nearby Roman ruins. I enjoy being outdoors, meeting new people and I love hi
... See more
When I first read the question, the image that came to my mind was of me pulling the petals off a daisy one at a time and saying, "Maybe, maybe not, maybe, maybe not..."

Don't get me wrong, I like translating and make a good living at it, but if something more profitable or interesting came along, I'd certainly consider it.

I already have a part time job/hobby of working as a tour guide at some nearby Roman ruins. I enjoy being outdoors, meeting new people and I love history and archeology. If it only paid better, I'd be more than willing to consider being a guide as a fulltime profession and relegating translating to the part time realm.
Collapse

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Other Mar 4, 2009

I don't know.
I would be happy to, but if translation appears to become a too badly paid job or if machines happen to beat humans in translating, I would be fully glad to do something else too. I have quite a lot of hobbies or interests that I could turn into a job, maybe after some additional training. But I think I'll remain my own boss in any case

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:45
Portuguese to English
+ ...
A very interesting question for me... Mar 4, 2009

I'm already well past retirement age, but I always see new things on the horizon. I have worked in many different areas over the years...a Head Start teacher, seamstress, short order cook, musician, journalist, security guard, gardener, artists' model, secretary (there are others, but I can't remember them at the moment). Translation is just one out of many things I have done. I do enjoy it, though, and it has given me more freedom than most jobs, but in my heart I'm a musician and will always b... See more
I'm already well past retirement age, but I always see new things on the horizon. I have worked in many different areas over the years...a Head Start teacher, seamstress, short order cook, musician, journalist, security guard, gardener, artists' model, secretary (there are others, but I can't remember them at the moment). Translation is just one out of many things I have done. I do enjoy it, though, and it has given me more freedom than most jobs, but in my heart I'm a musician and will always be one. The problem is trying to earn a living with a 10-piece band...lol.

Actually, I see myself continuing to do translations and having it support my music "habit," at least for the time being. At the moment I'm working like a little doggy to save money to record a second CD. So these two careers seem to fit together quite nicely.
Collapse

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
other... Mar 4, 2009

I hope so, but, I really don't know. It depends of the future of the translation activity.

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
Yes Mar 4, 2009

Until I win the lottery! Then I'll play computer games

Alice Bootman
Alice Bootman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, of course. Unless... Mar 4, 2009

Unless one of my husband's business ideas takes off and he desperately needs my help.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Yes... Mar 4, 2009

...provided that I take good care of my eyes and back, that I am able to make the effort to have a social life and that it keeps paying for the bills as it does now. Otherwise, I may eventually look for a day job, but so far, I don't have a reason to do that, and I am happy enough doing what I do to consider that the grass is greener on this side of the fence.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you see yourself translating your whole life?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »